Can You Tax A Car Without V5?

Car taxes in the UK must be paid regularly for the DVLA to permit your car to be driven in public places. In the absence of a tax payment record, you may be asked to keep your car parked until the taxes are paid. This blog post focuses on whether car tax can be paid without your car logbook. It also gives a well-rounded picture of the essential elements of road tax or Vehicle Excise Duty including the rates of taxation, documents required to pay these taxes as well tax exemptions for certain vehicles.

Can You Tax A Car Without V5?

Yes, you may be able to pay your car tax without a V5 (your car logbook) if the vehicle is registered in your name. If you have received a V11 reminder notice which states the vehicle owner’s name and the amount of car tax due for the next tax term, you can use it as proof of identification. If it is a new vehicle you will need a V5C/2 Green slip that is issued to new car owners while the ownership of their vehicle is transferred from the previous owner. However, if the car is not registered in your name, neither can you pay car tax, nor drive it on public roads.

Payments can be made through local post offices registered for car tax. You may use a debit card, credit card or direct debit facility to make your car tax payment(s).

However, in the absence of a V5, your car will be declared as SORN; Statuary Off-Road Notification until the new logbook arrives which can take up to a few weeks’ time. You must apply for a V5 immediately for a fee of £25, in case you have not done so. Not carrying your logbook can lead to a penalty being charged by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

When Do I Get A V11 Reminder?

Car owners receive a reminder from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency around three weeks before their vehicle tax is about to expire. This is called a V11 reminder. This letter can be taken to the nearest local post office which has car tax facilities and used as a reference to pay your car tax. If a vehicle owner loses their V11 letter, they can use their 11 digit reference number from their logbook known as V5C.

To pay your car tax online from the post office, you will need the following documents;

  • Your V11 letter
  • An MOT test certificate
  • The amount of payment mentioned in the V11 letter

If you have misplaced your V11 letter or your V5C, your car tax can still be renewed through the local post office. 

At this time, you should also apply for a new Registration Certificate using a V62 application form A for £25

If a vehicle owner fails to pay their car tax, they may face an initial fine of up to £80 reminding you to clear your tax dues within 28 days. If you fail to pay the fine within the given time, this fine can increase to up to £1000 and the defaulting party be taken to court.

However, if you do not intend to run your car on public roads, you are not required to pay your car tax. Instead, you should apply for Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) through your local post office dealing with car tax.

What Is A V11 Reminder?

If you have purchased or registered a car to your name, you will be required to apply for a Vehicle Excise Duty (VED). Otherwise, the DVLA will send you a V11 reminder to do so. The purpose of this reminder is to set up your vehicle tax. You will receive an annual reminder to renew your car tax.

 The V11 reminder is divided into three sections. Section 1 shows the name of the person in whose name the vehicle is registered, their address, the registration number of the vehicle as well as the date when the current tax is due to expire. Section 2 states the option for paying the tax, registering the car as SORN (if it is not going to be used) or stating that you are no longer in possession (or ownership) of the car. Section 3 indicates the modes of payment for your car tax. You can choose to make the payment online, by phone or at a local post office that is registered to deal with car tax. 

Who Has To Pay Road Tax In The UK?

Anyone with a roadworthy vehicle in the UK is required to pay road tax (also referred to as car tax, vehicle tax or road fund license. This is a mandatory, annual payment enforced by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency. The amount due to a vehicle owner depends on the type of vehicle they drive as well as the level of CO2 emissions from their car.

The following vehicles are exempt from road tax:

  • Cars used by a disabled person
  • Disabled passenger vehicles
  • Electric vehicles
  • Historic vehicles
  • Mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs
  • Mowing machines
  • Steam vehicles
  • Vehicles used for agriculture, horticulture and forestry

You can check vehicle tax online to confirm if your car has been taxed.

How Much Road Tax Do I Have To Pay In The UK?

Road tax or Vehicle Excise Duty in the UK is calculated on the basis of a few factors including the engine size and CO2 emissions of the car.

However, the UK road tax system is divided into two separate rates. The first rate applies during the first year of a car on the road when its CO2 emissions are also accounted for while calculating the tax rate. It may range from £0 for zero-emission cars to £2,245 for cars that emit 255g/km or more.

From the second year onwards, the CO2 emissions will not account for road tax, rather the original cost of the car will be considered for calculations.

Cars that are valued at or above £40,000 will be taxed a further £335 annual supplement that runs for five years. After this time-lapse, they will be taxed at the current tax rate applicable during the tax term.

The current (2021-22) road tax is set at a flat rate of £155. This is an increase from £150 in the 2020/2021 financial year) to adjust for inflation. There’s a £10 annual discount for alternatively fuelled vehicles such as hybrids, mild hybrids and plug-in hybrids. Therefore, their owners pay £145 annually.

What Other Taxes Do I Have To Pay In The UK?

According to a general estimate, an individual pays one-third of their income in the form of taxes in the UK. While the amount of tax one pays depends on the scale of their income, some people will pay a higher tax perhaps due to the property that they own or inheritance that they may receive.

There are different types of taxes under the UK taxation system. Direct taxes include PAYE (Pay As You Earn) and National Insurance. These account for 20 per cent of an individual’s income. On the other hand, indirect taxes include VAT, council tax as well as duties on alcohol and petrol. 

Therefore, basic taxes in the UK include the following:

  • Income Taxes 
  • Property Taxes 
  • Capital Gains 
  • UK Inheritance Taxes 
  • Value Added Tax 

These are all progressive taxes; which means that the scale of taxes increases with an increase in income.

Who Collects Tax Revenues In The UK?

The HMRC collects and administers tax collection in the UK. HMRC administers the following central taxes while local governments collect council tax:

  • Income tax
  • Corporation tax
  • Capital gains tax
  • Inheritance tax
  • Insurance premium tax
  • Stamp, land, and petroleum revenue taxes
  • Environmental taxes
  • Climate change and aggregates levy and landfill tax
  • Value-Added Tax
  • Customs duty
  • Excise duties

Who Is Tax Exempt In The UK?

Individuals may apply for tax exemption if they face  the following conditions:

  • If someone is a tax resident for at least one year out of the previous three years 
  • They have spent less than 16 days in the UK during the previous tax year
  • They are not a UK resident

The same applies in case:

  • Someone is not a tax resident for the previous three years
  • They have spent less than 46 days in the UK


Through this article, we have to come to understand that road tax may be paid if the car owner does not have their V5 or car logbook. However, it is essential for them to be able to provide alternate documents that can prove that (a) the vehicle is registered under the payee’s name and (b) the amount of tax that is due for the next tax term. Car tax rates in the UK may vary on the basis of a vehicle’s type, engine size and CO2 emissions; however, they remain mandatory unless a vehicle falls under the list of exemptions as per the DVLA guidelines.

FAQs: Can You Tax A Car Without V5?

Can you still tax a car without V5?

Yes, you can still tax your car without V5 if the vehicle is registered in your name and you can provide your V11 reminder notice, a V62 logbook application form or a V5c/2 Green slip.

Can I tax a car without a logbook?

Yes, you can still tax your car without your logbook or V5. However, the vehicle must be registered in your name and you should be able to provide the 11-digit reference number in your V11 reminder notice, a V62 logbook application form or the 12 digit number mentioned in your V5c/2 Green slip.

Can you drive a car while waiting for V5?

You can drive your car while waiting for your V5 if your previous logbook is misplaced and you have filed an application for a new logbook or you are a new car owner and the vehicle is yet to be registered in your name. For this purpose, you must have your V62 logbook application form which shows that you have applied for a V5 while the previous one has gone missing or a V5c/2 Green slip that is issued to new car owners while the ownership of their vehicle is transferred from the previous owner

Can I tax a car that is not in my name?

No, you will not be able to tax a car that is not your name, Registered owners are the only ones who are liable to pay car tax.

Can you get your V5 Online?

Yes, you can apply for a V5 online through your local post office. You can also request a duplicate logbook called V5C if the original logbook is not available. However, you will be required to apply with a V62 form and will be charged £25. 


Tax Car Without V5 Logbook, V11 Tax Reminder or Green Slip (Buying a Car Without a V5C Logbook).

Taxing a car without a V5 logbook, V11 tax reminder or green slip (new keeper supplement).

How to tax a car without V5 |

Vehicle tax rates – GOV.UK

VED road tax: how does car tax work and how much will it cost? | Auto Express

Tax your vehicle without a V11 reminder – GOV.UK

Vehicle tax

Tax your car

DVLA-car tax