Can I Tax My Car With A V62?

This blog post aims to help in answering the question of whether or not a vehicle owner can tax their car using a V62 form. To answer this question, we will explore the ways to pay your car tax as well as list down the essential documents required for the purpose. For a holistic view of the topic, we will also discuss the deadline for paying car tax as well as the consequences of late payments.

Can I Tax My Car With A V62?

Yes, you can tax your with a V62 if you are the current keeper (registered owner) of the vehicle.

A V62 is an official form issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency DVLA used by vehicle owners to apply for a V5C registration document if they have not received one while purchasing a new vehicle or if a new V5C has not arrived even after 6 weeks of registering your vehicle with DVLA.

If you want to tax your car with a V62 form, you can get a copy from your local post office or download it from the DVLA or UK Government websites. When you fill out the V62 form, in addition to providing details about yourself as well as your vehicle, you will also need to explain the reason(s) why you don’t have a V5C.

If you are using a V62 form to apply for a duplicate V5C because the original one has been misplaced or defaced, you will need to pay a fee of £25 when you submit the form. If you intend to fill out the V62 and send it directly to the DVLA instead of submitting it at the post office, you can pay the £25 fee by including a cheque or postal order payable to DVLA, Swansea the V62 form and cheque/postal order can be sent to the following address:



SA99 1DD

Alternative methods of fee payment include the following:

  • Cash
  • Direct debit
  • Debit card
  • Credit card

However, if you are not the registered keeper of the vehicle, you will neither be able to use a V62 to get a V5C or tax your car.

How Can I Tax My Car With A V62?

You can tax your car with a V62 form by obtaining a copy from your local post office that is responsible for car tax collections or you may download and print a vehicle registration certificate (document V62).

You must provide all the required information in a V62 form, especially the questions regarding vehicle details. 

You will need to carry any of the following documents to serve as proof of vehicle ownership:

  • your vehicle registration certificate; V5
  • your V11 reminder from the DVLA
  • a valid Ministry Of Transport (MOT) certificate 

In most cases, you will be asked to pay the £25 fee along with your V62 form. You can do this via cash, cheque, postal order, direct debit, debit or credit card.

You can expect to get your V5C within 5 weeks of submitting the V62 form.

What Do I Need To Tax My Car?

You will need your V5C or vehicle logbook, the V11 reminder sent by the DVLA or the new keeper’s green slip in the case of a newly purchased vehicle to tax your car (irrespective of how you choose to tax your car).

While the most common way of taxing your car is by using your vehicle logbook, you may be able to pay your car tax without one as long as the vehicle is registered in your name. 

If you have received a V11 reminder notice from the DVLA which states the vehicle owner’s name and the amount of car tax due for the next tax term, you can use it as proof of identification. 

If it is a new vehicle you will need a V5C/2 Green slip that is issued to new car owners while the ownership of their vehicle is transferred from the previous owner. However, if the car is not registered in your name, neither can you pay car tax, nor drive it on public roads.

To pay your car tax online from the post office, you will need the following documents:

  • Your V11 letter
  • An MOT test certificate
  • The amount of payment mentioned in the V11 letter

If you have misplaced your V11 letter or your V5C, your car tax can still be renewed through the local post office. At this time, you should also apply for a new Registration Certificate using a V62 application form A for £25.00.

What Will Happen If I Forget To Tax My Car On Time?

If you forget to tax your car on time, the DVLA charges you a fine of £80. This is in addition to your car tax bill. If you make this payment within 28 days of receiving the notice, the fine will be reduced to 50% making it £40. However, you will not get any points on your license at this time.

To pay your late payment fine, you will need the following documents:

  • vehicle registration number
  • penalty letter issued by the DVLA
  • debit or credit card to make the payment 

If you do not pay the fine within 28 days, the amount can increase to £1,000, you can be taken to court by the DVLA or your vehicle can be clamped so that it cannot be driven until the fine is paid.  

This is the reason why it is advisable to pay your car tax on time; or even in advance. You can tax your car 2 months in advance before your current car tax expires. If your car tax expires at the end of the month, you can pay the amount by the 5th day of the next month. 

According to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), it can take up to 5 working days for renewed car tax to show online. You can check the status of your car tax payment via the DVLA’s Vehicle Enquiry System


The above discussion helps to conclude that vehicle owners can use a V62 to tax their car as long as they are the registered keepers of the vehicle. The V62 form is conveniently available at local post offices that deal with car tax payments or can also be obtained online. In some cases, one may be required to submit a fee of £25 along with the V62 form.


Tax your vehicle without a V11 reminder – GOV.UK

What is a V62 form? | The Private Plate Company


Tax your car