Will The Council Replace A Gas Fire?

If you are a council housing tenant and wondering if the council will replace your gas fire, you will find the answer to your question in the following blog post. While we will primarily discuss whether or not councils replace gas fires, we will also explore the potential cost involved, other sources of financial support that one may avail and also review the pros and cons of installing (or repairing) a gas fire.

Will The Council Replace A Gas Fire?

Whether or not the council authorities will replace a gas fire for social housing tenants varies from council to council.

While most council authorities (and social housing landlords) do repair gas fires for their tenants, if the gas fire cannot be repaired, they are not likely to have it replaced.

However, there are a couple of alternate solutions for council housing tenants if they need to have their gas fires replaced. These are: 

  • if you are a secure tenant, you can take permission from your council authority and have a gas fire installed 
  • if you are on a low income, you can apply for a Budgeting Loan or a Budgeting Advance to have a gas fire installed

If you are a secure tenant in a council house and intend to get a gas fire installed, you should know that the installation of a gas fire typically ranges from £200 to £2,000; depending on the type and the size. Open-front gas fires are usually priced between £300 to £750 and take around 1 to 3 hours to install.

If you live in a council house, are on a low income and need to have your gas fire replaced, you may be able to claim a Budgeting Loan or a Budgeting Advance; depending on the benefits you claim.

Regardless of the option you choose for having a gas fire replaced, you should not try to install one yourself merely to reduce costs as the risk will be too high. You should always have a gas fire installed by a competent Gas Safe registered engineer.

Can You Get Help To Replace A Gas Fire In A Council House?

Yes, you may be able to get financial help to replace a gas fire in a council house. This depends on whether you are on a low income and if you claim certain benefits. 

If you claim any of the following benefits, you can get a Budgeting Advance of up to £812:

  • Universal Credit
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (Income-Based)
  • Employment And Support Allowance (Income-Related)
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit

This is an advance on your benefits payments that will be paid by the DWP  based on your eligibility. The amount will be deducted from future benefits payments (usually in the next 12 months).

Likewise, you can get a Budgeting Loan of £812 from the DWP, if you claim the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Related Employment And Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit

This is a lump-sum, interest-free loan that you can return through instalments by having your benefits payments reduced.

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Having A Gas Fire Replaced In A Council House?

There are a number of pros and cons to having a gas fire installed in a council house and it is a good idea to weigh your options before making a decision.

While gas fires are easy to operate and low maintenance, they require natural gas collection. 

They are generally safe to use when they are maintained well. However, the installation cost is usually high and you need a professional engineer to have one installed to reduce the risk of gas leakage. 

Gas fires are compatible with most homes but they can only heat up the room they are in and are not a cost-effective option due to the recent rise in gas prices.

If you are still considering replacing your gas fire, you may benefit from getting an online quote to have an estimate of the cost and time involved.


The above discussion clearly highlights that while council authorities may repair gas fires installed in council houses, they will not replace them. Secure tenants can either choose to do so at their own expense while those claiming benefits may apply for a loan or advance from the DWP.


Council housing: Repairs and maintenance – GOV.UK

Repairs and maintenance in council and housing association homes – Shelter England

What Repairs Do The Council Carry Out?