Where Is My Tax Office?

There are a number of tax offices that are located throughout the UK. The aim of this article is to help taxpayers looking for their tax office to find ways to locate it. Additionally, we will also explore relevant topics such as looking for one’s tax code or tax district.

Where Is My Tax Office?

If you wish to know where your tax office is located, you will need to look at your payslip. Your payslip mentions a PAYE reference number. The first three characters of this reference number indicate the location of your tax office. You can enter them on this link to get the complete contact details of your tax office.

Otherwise, you can also contact the HMRC at the following address for tax-related queries:

Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment

HM Revenue and Customs


United Kingdom

If you want to lodge a tax-related complaint, you can also contact the relevant department at HMRC. Below are their contact details:

PAYE and Self Assessment Complaints

HM Revenue and Customs


United Kingdom

If you intend to visit your tax office, it is recommended to first seek a prearranged appointment by making a call to the local tax office or contacting the HMRC through their website and requesting an online appointment.

How Do I Find My Tax District And Reference Number?

Your tax district number is a three-digit number that appears before your ten-digit Unique Tax Payer Reference (UTR). The purpose of this number is to indicate the location of the HMRC office where your tax records are kept so that it is convenient to update and review records while communicating with them. You can find your tax district number in any correspondence held with the HMRC with regards to UTR or Corporation Tax.

You will need a tax district number if you file your tax returns under the self-assessment system. 

What Is My TIN Number?

The HMRC issues two TIN-like numbers to members of the public. The purpose and use of these are described below:

  • The Unique Tax Payer Reference (UTR): This is a ten-digit set of numbers issued by the HMRC to individuals and businesses who qualify for paying tax returns in the UK. You will find this number on the front page of the tax return (form SA100 or CT600). In addition to this, you will find it on a “Notice to complete Tax Return” (form SA316 or CT603) or a Statement of Account. It is also printed next to the headings of “Tax Reference”, “UTR” or “Official Use”; but the appearance and terms that are used will depend on the type of document issued. 
  • The National Insurance Number (NINO): This includes two letters which are followed by six numbers and then only one of the letters between A, B, C and D. Individuals residing in the UK will be issued a NINO once they are 16 years of age. They will be informed by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or the HMRC. If you are an employee, you will find this number on your payslip as well as on a Statement of Account issued by HMRC. It links individuals to their records of national insurance contributions, tax payments, student loans as well as social security benefits.

What Is My Tax Code?

Tax codes are a combination of letters and numbers that determine the amount of income tax due on an individual. While the letters indicate your financial position and how it relates to your personal allowance, the numbers tell your employer or pension provider the amount of tax-free income that you are eligible for in that tax year. 

For instance, 1257L (currently the most common 2021-22 tax code in the UK) refers to the new Personal Allowance rate for 2021-22, which is £12,570 and the letter “L” indicates that the individual is entitled to this amount of tax-free income. Any taxes that are to be charged will be above additional amounts beyond this figure.

To confirm your tax code, you can check any of the below-listed documents:

  • Payslip
  • P45 form
  • P60
  • PAYE coding notice
  • Pension advice slip
  • HMRC website


The content of this blog post indicates different ways to get in touch with your tax office or the HMRC for individuals who may have queries or complaints regarding their taxes. If you are still unable to find what you are looking for, you can contact the HMRC at 0300 200 3300 between 8 am and 6 pm from Monday to Friday.

FAQs: Where Is My Tax Office?

How do I contact my local HMRC office?

To contact the local HMRC office, you can use one of the following ways:

  • You can call them via telephone at 0300 200 3300 for tax-related queries and at 0300 200 3310 for questions regarding self-assessment
  • You can use a textphone to contact them on 0300 200 3319 regarding tax-related information while for Self Assessment queries you can contact them on 0300 200 3319
  • If you are based outside the UK you can call them on +44 135 535 9022

Where is HMRC based in the UK?

HMRC is located at 100 Parliament Street, London, SW1A 2BQ in the UK.

Is there a postal address for HMRC?

Yes, there is a postal address for HMRC. It is HM Revenue & Customs, PO Box 4000, CARDIFF, CF14 8HR.

Can I write to HMRC by post?

Yes, you can write to HMRC by post. Otherwise, you can also contact them using an online form, the webchat on the HMRC portal or by phone.

How do I get a tax number in the UK?

As an individual taxpayer, a UTR will be issued to you automatically when you apply for your tax self-assessment in the UK. The UTR is issued to registered companies by HMRC once a limited company has been registered for Corporation Tax. In addition to HMRC documents, the UTS can also be found by logging into the online Corporation Tax account of businesses.


Which Tax Office? – Numbers Count – bookkeeping & payroll

Income Tax Enquiries


What is a Tax Identification Number | GoCardless


What Is My Tax District Uk? – ictsd.org