What Should You Do If Your Cheque From DVLA Has Expired?

If you want to know what to do if you haven’t deposited a cheque from the DVLA in time and it has expired, you will find the answer to your question in the following blog post.

What Should You Do If Your Cheque From DVLA Has Expired?

If you’ve received a cheque from the DVLA and have not deposited it for 6 months, it is going to expire and you will need to request a new cheque. You may also be asked to submit the expired cheque to them and wait until a new cheque is issued to you. The entire process may take 6 to 8 weeks.

It is quite common for the DVLA to refund car tax payments through cheques. This happens in cases where the vehicle owner has either overpaid their car tax, changed their vehicle’s tax class or has sold their car to someone else.

The DVLA will refund car tax payments as per the request of vehicle owners; however, it is advisable to deposit the cheque issued by them at the earliest possible.

Although there are no fixed expiry dates on cheques, the accepting bank can refuse to deposit a cheque that is more than 6 months old. In such cases, one would need to first inform the DVLA of an expired cheque and then apply for a new cheque.

You can contact the DVLA at 0300 790 6802, from Monday to Friday between 8 am and 7 pm or on Saturday between 8 am and 2 pm.

However, if it has been a few years since the cheque was issued to you by the DVLA, there is a possibility that the DVLA may not have old records and you may find it difficult to get a new cheque reissued once the original one has expired.

How Do I Return An Expired Cheque To The DVLA?

You can return an expired cheque for your car tax rebate to the DVLA by posting it to the following address:

Refund Section 


Swansea SA99 1AL

It is advised not to send the cheque unaccompanied and enclose a letter explaining the reason why you are returning the cheque. Additionally, you should also request for a new cheque to be reissued to you in the same letter of request. 

Can I Inform The DVLA Of An Expired Cheque Online? 

Yes, you can inform the DVLA of an expired cheque online. For this, you will need to fill in the following information:

  • your personal details such as full name
  • your contact details including email address
  • your vehicle details such as registration number
  • the issue at hand; expired cheque in this case
  • copies of documents that support your claim

It usually takes the DVLA around 6 weeks to respond to such queries and in the case of an expired chewy you should expect a new cheque within this time frame as well. If you don’t get a response from DVLA for 8 weeks, you should get in touch with them.


Having an expired cheque means that you have not deposited it for at least 6 months since it was issued. In such cases, you should inform the DVLA at the earliest and request for a new cheque to be issued. However, it can take a minimum time of 6 weeks before a new cheque is issued.


HMRC cheque for tax refund – Community Forum – GOV.UK

Car tax refunds and how to claim yours | Auto Express