What Happens To My Mineworkers Pension When I Die?

The aim of this article is to help its readers in answering the question of what happens to their Mineworker’s Pension Scheme when they die. To give a clear picture of the situation, we will discuss the possible outcomes when a deceased member is survived by a spouse, partner or child. For a holistic view of the discussion, we will also explore other forms of financial support that a grieving partner can claim from the state when they lose a spouse or partner.

What Happens To My Mineworkers Pension When I Die?

What happens to someone’s Mineworkers’ Pension when they die, depends on whether or not they are survived by a spouse, civil partner or a financial dependant family member. 

The surviving next of kin of the claimant will be required to inform the Scheme Administrator of the claimant’s death; along with the following information about the deceased member:

  • pension reference number or National Insurance number
  • date of birth and date of death
  • Name and address of the deceased’s next to kin and/or appointed beneficiaries
  • name and address of the person dealing with the deceased’s matters

They can choose to either call them at 0333 222 0077, send an email to mps@capita.co.uk or send a letter via post at the following address:


PO Box 555,

Stead House,



Once the Scheme Administrator has been advised of the death of a member, they will first make sure that pension payments are stopped. They will then inquire about the deceased member’s living family members, especially a spouse or civil partner. Based on the additional information they receive, they will be able to provide details of any remaining benefits that can be drawn from the scheme. 

If the deceased member is survived by a spouse or civil partner, they will be able to claim two-thirds of the weekly pension that the claimant received during their lifetime. These payments will continue to be made for life; irrespective of whether or not the surviving spouse remarries or not. 

However, in the case of live-in partners who are not married or in a civil partnership, the surviving partner will have to file a formal application to make a claim and prove through evidence and documentation that they were financially dependent on the deceased partner and member of the Mineworkers’ Pension Scheme. 

Based on the decision of the Trustees on this matter, a decision will be made whether or not the dependant can claim any financial support by getting a portion of their partner’s pension. 

If a member is survived by children up to the age of 16 years (21 years in case they are pursuing full-time education), they will be able to claim Children’s Benefits from their parents’ Mineworker’s Pension scheme. In the case of a disabled child who is incapable of self-support, they will continue to receive an allowance from their parents’ pension scheme for life.

If a member dies within the guarantee period of their pension, their surviving partner/spouse will be able to claim a lump sum amount from the scheme’ as long as they were nominated by the deceased member. If a deceased member is not survived by a spouse/partner or children and they have nominated a beneficiary who can claim their pension in a lump sum, they will be able to claim the amount after the member’s death. 

The Mineworker’s Pension Scheme is one of the largest pension schemes in the UK. Members of this pension scheme have recently witnessed an upgrade to their pension payments. If you are not one of them, you should contact the MPS office via email or a telephone call.

How Can Your Partner Claim Bereavement Support Payment When You Die?

One can claim Bereavement Support Payment using the Bereavement Support Payment claim form if they have lost their husband, wife or civil partner in the recent 21 months. However, to be eligible for the benefit, the claimant would need to prove the following:

  • their spouse/partner paid National Insurance contributions for at least 25 weeks within one tax year since 6 April 1975
  • their spouse/partner died due to a work-related accident or a work-related disease

If your claim is approved, you can receive payments according to the below classification:

  • your first payment can either be of the higher rate at £3,500 or the lower rate at £2,500
  • you will subsequently get 18 monthly payments, either of the higher rate of £350 or the lower rate of £100

You can claim Bereavement Support Payment by calling their hotline at Bereavement Service helpline at 0800 151 2012.

Can Your Partner Get Help With Funeral Costs When You Die?

Yes, your partner can get help with funeral costs when you die. This is called Funeral Expenses Payment and is made available to the surviving spouse/partner of the deceased. However, to be eligible for the welfare benefits, one of the two partners should be a claimant of any of the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • the disability or severe disability element of Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

While this may not cover all of the funeral expenses, the amount can help with some of the expenses including:

  • burial or cremation fees 
  • cost of a doctor’s certificate, death certificate or other documents
  • commute expenses for going to the funeral

They will be able to claim an additional amount of £1,000 to pay for the flowers and coffin. 

Claimants can apply for the benefit by calling the Bereavement Service helpline

at 0800 151 2012.


It is quite clear from the above discussion that once a member of the Mineworker’s Pension Scheme dies, their spouse or partner can claim a portion of their pension through monthly payments. If the member is survived by a child, the child can receive payments until they are 21 years of age (unless they are disabled and need financial support; the payments will continue for life). In the absence of a surviving spouse, partner or child, these payments can be directed to any individual nominated by the member in their lifetime.


What happens if I die? | My pension is in payment | Home

Death benefits | Pensioner members | Home | British Coal Staff Superannuation Scheme

Benefits and financial support when someone dies – GOV.UK