What Happens If Your Tax Overview And SA302 Don’t Match?

If you find that there is a mismatch between your Tax Overview and SA302 or Tax Calculation and are wondering what happens next, you will find detailed guidance in the following blog post. Not only that, you will also learn about the process of how to access these documents online to re-check the details and request the HMRC for any necessary rectifications to be made.

What Happens If Your Tax Overview And SA302 Don’t Match?

If your Tax Overview and the tax calculation on your SA302 don’t match, you may find it difficult to have your loan request approved by a mortgage lender. Since both your Tax Overview and SA302 or Tax Calculation will be reviewed by a mortgage lender, they will ask you to have the figures rectified before your loan can be approved.

If you need to make changes in your tax calculations due to a mismatch of figures between your Tax Overview and your SA302, you will need to either seek financial advice on how to rectify the mismatch or if you know the reason why there is a difference between both figures, have the required changes made at the earliest.

While the SA302 and Tax Overview are both summaries of your self-employed income and the amount of tax that you’ve paid to the HMRC within a tax year, the SA302 has more details of your tax calculations. On the other hand, the Tax Overview only mentions the tax totals and the payments you’ve made to the HMRC.

Therefore, it is highly likely that the SA302 would be more accurate since it mentions more details of your tax returns and has a lesser chance of error. You may use it as a reference to check the details in your Tax Overview and make the necessary rectifications where needed.

This will not be possible without contacting the HMRC and requesting for necessary updates to be made to your tax records. 

You can contact the HMRC through their telephone helpline at 0300 200 3310 or through textphone at 0300 200 3319 if you are in the UK. If you are outside the UK, you will need to call them at +44 161 931 9070. Phone lines are open from Monday to Friday, between 8 am and 6 pm.

You may be interested in learning that there was a recent software issue at the HMRC that caused an error in saving some of the data due to which a number of self-employed tax-payers were said to find a mismatch between their Tax Overview and SA302. The matter was brought to the notice of the authorities and the errors were duly rectified.

How Can I Access My Tax Overview?

You can easily access your Tax Overview by following these simple steps:

  • Start with logging into your HMRC online account.
  • Select the option of “Self-Assessment” 
  • Follow the link that mentions “View Self-Assessment return for tax year 20XX to 20XX”. 
  • Choose the relevant tax year from the drop-down box and click on “GO”. 

You can choose to print your Tax Overview, save it as a PDF file or print the document by selecting the appropriate options on the screen.

How Can I Access My SA302?

If you need to access your SA302 or Tax Calculation for a given year, you should follow the below-listed steps:

  • First, you will need to log in to your HMRC online account.
  • Then, you should choose the “Self-Assessment” option.
  • You will then see a link that states “Get SA302 Tax Calculation for tax year 20XX to 20XX.” You will need to choose the relevant tax year from the drop-down menu and click on “GO”.
  • Then, you should follow the link that states “Continue to your SA302”.
  • You will then see the “view calculation” tab on the left-hand navigation menu. You can lick on this to view the details or scroll to the bottom of the page for more options.

At this stage, you can choose to view, print or save the document as a PDF file. 


The above discussion clearly highlights the consequence of there being a mismatch of your tax details mentioned in your Tax Overview and SA302. The most common result of such a case is a home loan being delayed or refused until a rectification is made. Therefore, it will be in your interest to access your HMRC account and access the relevant documents to check where the error has taken place.


Difference between sa302 and tax year overview – what you provide your mortgage provider

Tax Calculations and Tax Year Overviews for Self-Employed Mortgages

SA302 – your guide to getting your tax calculation