What Are The Rules For Changing Car Tax Class From Disabled To Normal?

If you are wondering about the rules for changing car tax from disabled to normal, you will find detailed guidance in the following blog post on how to go about it. For a detailed overview, we will also list down the documents that you will need to initiate the process as well as give an idea of how many days it takes to have your vehicle’s tax class changed and tax payment to appear in the DVLA’s records.

What Are The Rules For Changing Car Tax Class From Disabled To Normal?

The rules for changing the car tax class from disabled to normal are quite simple. Registered owners of vehicles classified with a Disabled Tax Class can simply use the form V62 at their local post office that deals with car taxes and has it changed to normal. This usually happens in the following situations:

  • they get a V11 reminder letter from the DVLA to pay car tax
  • their car tax is about to run out and they have received a “last chance” warning letter from the DVLA
  • they are changing the tax class from exemption to non-exemption

However, if the reason for changing your vehicle’s tax class includes changes to the purpose or use of the vehicle, its body type or structure, you will need to apply for it through the post and use a form V70 (available online as well as through your local post office).

Once changes have been made at the DVLA, they will send you a confirmation as well as an updated car logbook. It usually takes 10 working days for the DVLA to process these changes and make the necessary updates in their records. During this time, you can continue to drive your car while your application is being processed.

Which Documents Are Required For Changing Car Tax Class From Disabled To Normal?

You will need the following documents along with your application for changing your vehicle’s tax class from disabled to normal:

  • V5C vehicle registration certificate or vehicle logbook
  • vehicle tax reminder letter or V11 (if you have received one lately)
  • valid MOT certificate
  • payment for vehicle tax according to your new tax class
  • an insurance certificate or cover note (if you live in Northern Ireland)

Along with this, you should also send a cheque or a postal order payable to DVLA for the added vehicle tax due to a change in tax class.

Can You Change Vehicle Tax Class If Road Tax Is Due To Run Out?

Yes, you can change the vehicle tax class if the Road Tax on it is about to run out. All you need to do is find a local post office that deals with vehicle tax class change and apply online.

Otherwise, you can also write to the DVLA at the following address (however, the postal method will take more time than filling out a form online):



SA99 1BF

Once you pay your car tax, it can take up to 5 working days for renewed car tax to appear online on the DVLA database. If your car tax is due to run out at the end of the month, you can pay the amount by the 5th day of the month. 


The above discussion helps to conclude that you can easily change your car’s tax class from disabled to normal as long as you have the necessary documents and fill out the required forms. 

However, registered keepers of vehicles must keep in mind that changing your vehicle’s tax class in such a case will increase the road tax due on it.


Change your vehicle’s tax class

Changing Car Tax | National