How Can You Replace A 1950s Council House Fireplace?

If you are wondering about how to replace a 1950s council house fireplace, you will not only find the answer to your question in the following blog post but also detailed guidance on how to go about it.

How Can You Replace A 1950s Council House Fireplace?

You can replace a 1950s council house fireplace either on your own (you will need some hardware tools and someone to assist you) or by hiring a professional to carry out the replacement. 

In either case, you will need to make sure that you take permission from your Local Council authority before starting any work and make sure that the replacement you undertake meets the required Building Regulations.

If you live in a 1950s council house, it is most likely that the fireplace is constructed with stacked stone with a facade of full or half portions of rock which is solidified with masonry mortar. To replace your fireplace, you may need to chisel around the plaster, unscrew the metal brackets and remove them before proceeding further.

Since these fireplaces are usually fixed with a metal bracket on either side, they can come out in one piece. 

When it comes to the fire surround, it is usually placed on the hearth and is attached to the wall with the use of metal fixings on either side at the top. You may be able to prise them off the wall if you have the right tools and technique and someone to assist you. You will need to tap a crowbar behind at the top and work loose for removal with minimal damage.

There are chances that you will need to replaster the wall once the fireplace is removed and before you replace it with a new one.

What Should You Consider When You Replace A 1950s Council House Fireplace?

If you’re looking to replace a 1950s council house fireplace, there are a few things that you will need to take into account to replace your fireplace. These include the following:

  • First, you will need to make sure that you choose a fireplace that is the right size for your room.
  • Second, you will also need to take into account the type of fireplace you will be using.
  • Third, you will need to consider if any Building Regulations apply in your area.

When you are considering the replacement of your 1950s council house fireplace, you should consider the size of your room and the length of the wall before you decide on the width of your new fireplace. Generally speaking, 24 inches to 72 inches or 2 feet to 6 feet is considered a reasonable range for fireplace widths.

Then, you should consider whether you will be using a gas or electric fireplace. Gas fires are easy to operate and require low maintenance, but you will need natural gas collection and a professional engineer to install it. However, they are a more cost-effective option than electric fires.

If you need to carry out any electrical work before or during the removal and installation of your fireplace, you will have to make sure that it is according to Building Regulations. You will also have to inform your local council office accordingly.

How Much Does It Cost To Replace A 1950s Council House Fireplace?

How much it costs to replace a 1950s council house fireplace depends on your choice of the type of fireplace you wish to install.

In the case of a gas fire, the installation cost usually ranges from £200 to £2,000. When it comes to open-front gas fires, these are usually priced between £300 to £750 and take around 1 to 3 hours to install.

On the other hand, electric fires are priced between £100 to £2,000 and the installation cost can be between £400 to £1,000.

You will also need to consider additional costs such as:

  • removal of your previous fireplace 
  • plastering or painting job prior to replacement 
  • which part of the UK do you live in (as prices can vary depending on the area you live in)

You can easily get quotes from professional service providers by sharing the details of the work required to replace your fireplace.

Can You Get Help To Replace A 1950s Council House Fireplace?

Yes, you can get help from the DWP to replace a 1950s council house fireplace if you claim any of the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (Income-Based)
  • Employment And Support Allowance (Income-Related)
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit

In this case, you can avail of a Budgeting Advance of up to £812 as an advance payment of the benefits you claim. DWP will deduct the amount through monthly instalments by reducing your future benefits payments.

Otherwise, you can apply for a Budgeting Loan of £812 from the DWP, if you claim the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Related Employment And Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit


The above discussion provides a detailed discussion on how to go about replacing your 1950s council house fireplace both in terms of the work involved as well as the estimated cost of undertaking the replacement. It is advisable to seek your local council’s permission and seek professional guidance before you start to replace your fireplace.


Fireplace in UK: Victorian, 1920s, 1950s, 1970s, 1980s – removal and construction

What would you do with this fireplace? | Houzz UK

Repairs and maintenance in council and housing association homes – Shelter England