Can you have a lodger in your Help to buy property?

Who is a help to buy lodger?

A help to buy lodger is someone who shares your help to buy home, usually in return for some periodic payment.

Although your help to buy lodger may have their own room, they do not have exclusive use of it and they do not have any tenancy rights under the law.

You may offer your lodger laundry, cleaning and food and this may change their definition from a lodger to a boarder.

Can I have a lodger in my help to buy property?

You should always ask your help to buy agent and mortgage lender if you can have a lodger to prevent you from being in breach of your mortgage terms or the help to buy eligibility.

A help to buylodger may also affect any universal credit, housing benefits or other benefits you may have been receiving or could be entitled to.

If you need financial advice and you live in the UK then you could contact the Money Advice service over the phone or via chat for impartial advice.

You can also contact the debt charity “Step Change” if you are in debt and need help.