Do You Have To Pay Council Tax On Holiday Park Homes?

If you are the owner of a holiday park home in the UK, you may be wondering if you have to pay council tax. Council tax is an important source of revenue for local authorities, so it is important to understand if a holiday park home is liable for it or not. In this blog post, we will be exploring the rules and regulations surrounding council tax on holiday park homes in the UK.

Do You Have To Pay Council Tax On Holiday Park Homes?

Whether or not you have to pay council tax on a holiday park home depends on your circumstances. For example, if a holiday park home is considered to be a “dwelling” under local authority regulations, then it may be subject to council tax. This means that if the holiday park home is being used as a permanent residence, rather than simply as holiday accommodation, then it may be liable for council tax.

On the other hand, if it is being used as a second home or a holiday home which is used for limited periods during a year, you can get a council tax discount on a holiday park home or in some cases, not have to pay any council tax at all.

A holiday park home is primarily a housing facility. It is up to the owner whether they choose to use it as a holiday retreat or a permanent residence. In most cases, the structure of a park home is such that it is made to be a detached, single-storey, prefabricated residence which is placed on a rented plot of land. This plot of land is located within a privately-owned park.

Being covered by The Mobile Homes Act 1983, a holiday park home is generally considered to be a permanent structure that will stay where it is placed for many years to come. This is the reason why some councils may impose council tax on holiday park homes in their area. Therefore, it’s important to check with your local authority before purchasing a holiday park home to determine whether it will incur council tax.

It’s important to note that holiday park homes are still liable for council tax even if they are not occupied all year round. Therefore, if you plan to use your holiday park home only occasionally throughout the year, it’s worth budgeting for council tax when factoring in the cost of owning a property.

It’s also worth researching any discounts or exemptions available in your local area, as some areas may offer special concessions to holiday park homeowners. For example, some areas may offer discounts for single occupancy or offer a reduced rate for static caravans. 

Owning a holiday park home in the UK may be an attractive option for those who are looking for a second home away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. However, there are certain costs associated with owning such a property, one of which is council tax.

How Much Council Tax Do I Have To Pay For A Holiday Park Home?

The amount of council tax that you would have to pay for a holiday park home can vary between local authorities, but generally, holiday park homes are charged at the same rate as residential property. The amount of council tax you pay also depends on your area’s banding system and how many bedrooms your holiday park home has. Council tax bands are assigned on the basis of the value assigned to a property. They start from Band A for properties valued up to £40,000 and go up to Band H for properties valued at £ 320,000 and above.

If you are considering buying a holiday park home, it’s important to be aware of all of the associated costs, including council tax. Make sure to research your local area and the applicable fees before committing to a purchase. You may also wish to contact your local council office to get an idea of how much council tax is due on your holiday park home and if you are eligible for a discount.

How Are Holiday Park Homes Different From Static Caravans And Lodges?

Below are some of the main differences between holiday park homes, static caravans and lodges:

Holiday Park HomesLodgesStatic Caravans
Holiday Park Homes or mobile homes are built as per the “Specification for Residential Park Homes” in the British Standard BS3632.
These are structures formed using timber frames.
While lodges do come under the British Standard BS3632 and also benefit from timber builds, they are generally considered luxury residences.Static caravans are built according to the EN1647 specification which makes them much different than lodges and holiday park homes. 
They are designed to be lived in throughout the year and can be considered as the main residence.Even though lodges can be occupied throughout the year, they usually aren’t. This is why they may not be considered the main residence.Static caravans don’t provide insulation and therefore not suited to be loved throughout the year.
They are pre-constructed and placed at a licensed holiday park or location; which is covered under the Mobile Homes Act in the UK.If a park does not have a license you will have to declare the main residence even if you have paid a 12-month rent for a lodge.They are easy to maintain and are cost-effective but cannot be used as the main residence.

If you are considering purchasing a holiday park home, you may wish to have a look at The Kingswood, Holiday Park Home Range. You will also find a First Time Buyers Guide to Buying a Park Home and some suggestions on finding a park by Willerby Park Homes.


Overall, whether a holiday park home incurs council tax will depend on the particular circumstances and the location. It is always best to check with your local authority before purchasing a holiday park home to avoid any unexpected costs or penalties.


Do you pay council tax on a holiday home or static caravan at a holiday park?

How Council Tax works: Second homes and empty properties – GOV.UK

What is a Park Home?

Differences Between Park Homes, Static Caravans and Lodges