Can I use any phone with MetroPCS?
This article will guide you about the phones that you can use with MetroPCS. It also guides you to use MetroPCS’s “ Bring your own phone” scheme and switch to MetroPCS (Metro by T-Mobile). The blog has all the steps of using the Bring your own phone service and gives the eligibility criteria as well.
Can I use any phone with MetroPCS?
All the phones can not be used with MetroPCS.The phones which are making use of the GSM service of T-Mobile and AT&T can be used with Metro PCS. So unlocked GSM Android phones, iPhones, Windows phones are compatible. The Sprint and Verizon phones make use of CDMA technology. So these phones are not compatible But some newer Spring and Verizon phones support both CDMA and GSM technology. So these phones are compatible.
Can I port the number?
You can also port your number, which means you can continue your old number with this service. But porting is possible only if you don’t have any contract with the previous service provider.
What is a Metro pcs?
MetroPCS is simply known as Metro. It is a prepaid mobile service provider. But the brand of the metro is owned by T- mobile.
Earlier it was the 5th largest mobile network in the USA and it was using code-division multiple access (CDMA). In 2015, all customers using the MetroPCS CDMA network were migrated to their LTE network.
At that time T-Mobile had about 32 million subscribers and MetroPCS had around 9 million subscribers. In 2018, T-Mobile relaunched the new brand as Metro by T-Mobile.
When the name was changed; T- mobile subscribers had increased to 75 million and Metro’s mobile subscribers to 18 million. Nowadays Metro PCS is simply known as Metro by T-Mobile.
Metro ( formerly MetroPCS) offers almost the same features as that of T- mobile, at lower prices. It makes use of T-Mobile’s network. It is a prepaid service provider. Subscribers can avail a range of plans to match the budgets and the specific needs.
Key features of Metro pcs
● Many plans offered by the metro PCS are cheaper than corresponding T-Mobile plans.
● Availability of a large variety of plans at affordable prices.
● Some data-saving features prevent you from overages.
● Offers a variety of budget phones.
Is MetroPCS GSM or CDMA?
Metro PCS is owned by T-Mobile. It makes use of T-mobile’s network. Since T-Mobile is a GSM network carrier, Metro is also a GSM network carrier. This is a very important factor because of which one can easily switch from T-Mobile to Metro.
Does MetroPCS use sim cards?
Yes, Metropcs phones use a sim card. The sim card in a phone contains the information which is used to authenticate the subscribers to connect to the network. It is portable and can be used on any compatible device.
Benefits of MetroPCS sim card
- Metropcs offers a universal starter kit that includes a micro sim card, a nano sim card, and an adaptor required for the standard sim card.
- All metro plans are prepaid so you can pay upfront and select the required features.
- Metro PCS makes use of the network of T-Mobile. Ultimately you can avail yourself of the same advantage of network coverage as that of T- mobile subscribers.
- Metropcs sim cards are compatible with unlocked android phones as well as iPhones.
- You may be eligible to get a free or discounted cell phone if you switch to an unlimited metro plan from another network carrier.
- You can continue with your old phone number.
- You can upgrade the plan to avail of some international services.
What is MetroPCS’s “Bring your Own device” service?
Bring your own device is a straightforward service that lets the users get their own device and switch to MetroPCS network service. By taking help from customer care service, you can easily switch to Metro by T-Mobile by using this service.
All the devices working on GSM technology and compatible with T-Mobile can be used on the MetroPCS network as Metro has merged with T-Mobile. CDMA phones will not work with MetroPCS.
The following steps are used to use phone devices with MetroPCS
- Check the compatibility of your device.
- Make sure the device is unlocked.
- Buy the MetroPCS SIM card
- Select a “Bring your own phone” plan.
- Confirm the compatibility of your device
- Activate your plan.
Check the compatibility of your device
When planning to switch to MetroPCS make sure your device works on GSM and Is compatible with MetroPCS, you do have a Metro compatibility checker option, which makes the job easy. You just need your IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) which is to be entered to confirm the compatibility.
How to get the IMEI number of your phone?
The simplest way is, you will get an IMEI number on the label of the mobile battery. If it is not clear then use the following steps to retrieve the IMEI number of your phone.
- Dial *#06# on your phone device.
- Click on the “settings” and then click on “General”.
- Click on the “change device” link then select your device and enter “find IMEI number”.
- The article will be displayed for your device, follow the instructions.
Make sure the device is unlocked
If your device is compatible, you need to ensure it is unlocked if not contact your previous carrier and get it unlocked which is a very simple process if you have no dues and if your device is eligible.
Buy the MetroPCS SIM card
Now to buy the SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) you can visit the Metro by T-Mobile (MetroPCS) store or you can get it online.
Select a “Bring your own phone” plan
Metro offers a lot of Bring your own device plans, depending on the type of usage and type of connection you can choose a suitable and affordable plan for your device.
Activate your plan
After finalizing the plan, get it activated by making the payment and switching the previous SIM with the new Metro SIM.
Steps to switch to Metro
- Check that your phone is unlocked and compatible with Metro.
- Select MetroPCS plan.
- Get the new SIM card and activate it.
- If you want to continue your existing phone number then inform the MetroPCS representative.
- Finally, insert a SIM card into your phone device.
Is there any initial cost to switch to Metro?
If you are switching to Metro from any other network carrier then initially you will need to pay $10 SIM card fees. Along with this, you will have to pay for the phone plan which you have selected for Metro.
Metro includes all taxes and fees in their monthly plan.
How can you unlock your phone?
We will discuss unlock policies of some major network carriers
Some network providers offer cell phones which are already unlocked. But if the cell phone is locked then there are certain policies to unlock the device.
4G LTE smartphones of Verizon are already unlocked. So naturally, you don’t need any code to switch the network carrier.
But if you have purchased a 3G World Device cell phone from Verizon, then it is locked.
Unlock code for 3G World Device cell phone is 000000 or 123456.
If you have a 3G prepaid phone then it can be unlocked only after 12 months.
Prepaid phones from AT&T can be unlocked even after six months of service.
Using the device unlock portal of AT&T, one can easily unlock the device.
To unlock a T-mobile phone, you need to enter an unlock code.
The following steps are used to unlock the T-mobile device.
- First, check whether your cell phone is eligible for unlocking.
- Request customer care for unlocks code.
- Insert a blocked SIM and switch on the device.
- Press the select key and enter unlock code.
The recent cell phone devices are automatically unlocked by Sprint. Along with basic criteria, an important restriction is that your cell phone device must be active for at least 50 days before unlocking.
For older phones, if you are eligible for unlocking then you will get a notification from Sprint. You will get an unlocking code from the sprint to unlock the device.
What is the Metro universal sim card kit?
You can bring your phone and you can keep your phone number also. You can buy Metropcs universal sim card and avail the benefits of Metro prepaid plans starting from $30.The Metro universal sim card kit contains a micro sim card, a nano sim card, and an adapter required for the standard sim card.
Can I put a Metro-PCS SIM card in an iPhone?
Yes, if you have activated the MetroPCS SIM card then it will work with iPhone 6, iPhone 7, and any other new iPhone models. But an important criterion is that the phone must be unlocked. As well as it should be compatible with Metro pcs.
Steps to use the Metropcs sim card in iPhone
If you want to continue your existing phone number and you want to insert a Metro SIM card in an iPhone then the following steps are used.
- Ensure that your iPhone is unlocked.
- Check the compatibility of your phone.
- Purchase the Metro SIM card.
- Activate the SIM card online and choose the metro plan as per your requirements.
Are all iPhones compatible with MetroPCS?
The iPhones which are making use of the GSM service of T-Mobile and AT&T, are compatible with Metro PCS. This is because these iPhones use a SIM card and Metro PCS also offers a new SIM card.
But sprint and Verizon phones make use of CDMA technology. So these phones are not compatible with the” bring your phone service.” In the case of CDMA, there is no option to put a SIM card, so these phones are not compatible.
But some newer Spring and Verizon’s iPhone 5supports both CDMA and GSM technology. So these phones are compatible.
Is it possible to use a CDMA iPhone with Metro PCS?
The network Carriers, Sprint, and Verizon make use of CDMA. Since there is no slot for GSM cards, these iPhones cannot be directly used with Metro PCS.
But you can flash the phone so that it will be compatible with Metro PCS. The term flashing is related to reprogramming the phone.
It is similar to unlocking a GSM device. The flashing is used for CDMA devices. But flashing the phone is a third-party operation.
Will there be any effects on internet speeds?
For the iPhone, Metro TCS offers three different plans: $40, $50, and $60. All plants are inclusive of unlimited text, voice, and data. iPhone 5 works on 4G LTE, so you can expect 4G internet speed. But for other iPhones, internet speed will be 3g or 3G Plus.
Can I put the already activated MetroPCS SIM card in an iPhone?
If you have an already activated Metro sim card then it will work smoothly with iPhone 6, iPhone 7, and any other new iPhone models.
- Call customer care for transferring the service to your new iPhone.
- The older phone must be switched off during the process.
- You should have an IMEI number handy to carry out the transfer process smoothly.
- You can use a Wi-Fi connection during this transfer process because the data package will not work on the new iPhone.
Why should I prefer MetroPCS?
- MetroPCS offers almost the same features as that of T- mobile, at lower prices.
- It is a prepaid service provider.
- Subscribers can avail a range of plans to match the budgets and needs.
- Many plans offered by the metro PCS are cheaper than corresponding T-Mobile plans.
- Some data-saving features of Metro PCS prevent you from overages.
- Metro PCS offers a variety of budget phones. You can avail all low price metro phones that satisfy particular needs.
Below are other MetroPCS articles you may be interested in:
The blog gives detailed information about which phones can be used with MetroPCS. It also the detailed information about the “Bring your phone service”. It explained the procedure to be followed to avail this service and also gave the idea about unlocking the phones from major network providers. different plans and features of MetroPCS(Metro by T-Mobile) to make the decisions making easier.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs): Can I use any phone with MetroPCS?
What is “Bring your phone service?”
Metro PCS has recently launched” bring your phone service “at some locations. If you have
an unlocked GSM phone then you can use the Metro PCS service.
If you have an unlocked phone, you just have to purchase a metro PCS sim card to avail of this service. You don’t have to make a contract for the entire year.
You can choose the plans every month. The plans are available at the lowest rate starting from $ 40.
How do I know if a phone is compatible with MetroPCS?
MetroPCS works on GSM technology, so if your device works on GSM, it can be used with MetroPCS.
Can I buy a phone and take it to the Metro?
Yes, you can buy a phone and take it to the metro, you just have to make sure it works on GSM technology as Metro works on GSM and your device should be unlocked as well.
How much is it to transfer a phone to MetroPCS?
Generally, the charge to transfer a phone to MetroPCS is $15, but you can get it done for free as Metro by T-Mobile offers free switching to new customers.
Can I just switch SIM cards between MetroPCS phones?
Yes, you can switch SIM cards between MetroPCS phones, as customers need to upgrade their MetroPCS phones,
Can You Keep Your Current Phone Number When You BYOP To Metro?
Yes, you can keep your current phone number when you use “Bring your own phone service”. The carrier will check the eligibility and make the transfer
Do both Metro PCS and T-mobile have the same network coverage?
Metro PCS makes use of the network of T-Mobile. Ultimately you can avail yourself of the same advantage of network coverage as that of T- mobile subscribers. But in case of network congestion, whenever there is heavy traffic, more priority is given to the T-mobile subscribers.
MetroPCS Bring Your Own Phone: Everything You Need To Know
MetroPCS Now Lets You Use Unlocked GSM Phones By Alex Colon June 12, 2013,
How to Switch Phones on MetroPCS? https://www.google.com/amp/s/buybackboss.com/switch-phones-metropcs/amp/
Bring your phone to metro
Metro by T-Mobile Cell Phone Review and Plan By Jillian Goltzman
April 28, 2021,
Guide: What Phones Are Compatible With MetroPCS? August 15, 2018,
What Phones Can Transfer to MetroPCS?By Stephanie Faris Updated June 1, 2019,