Can I Claim PIP For Carpal Tunnel?

The blog post aims to help in answering the question of whether or not you can claim PIP for Carpal Tunnel. For this purpose, we will explore the eligibility criteria for PIP as well as discuss the application process. Additionally, we will also explore other benefits and forms of compensation that someone suffering from the condition can claim.

Can I Claim PIP For Carpal Tunnel?

Yes, you can claim PIP (or Personal Independence Payment) for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome especially if it limits your ability to perform basic tasks and is expected to last for a substantial amount of time.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome causes pain, numbness, tingling and weakness in your fingers and wrists. In some cases, one may be able to work through the condition while a lot of people may have to endure life long-suffering. 

Sometimes your symptoms can worsen to the extent that you can completely lose the grip on your hands and your motor skills can be seriously affected.

This is the reason why CTS is classed as a disability and is known to have long-lasting effects as a result of the condition.

While some people may choose to treat Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or CTS at home, the condition requires expert medical attention. In most cases, CTS has long-lasting effects that can cause pain, stiffness or numbness in the wrists; which can limit one’s ability to perform basic tasks at work or home.

With nearly a million people across the UK claiming PIP for musculoskeletal problems, there are 87 conditions; including Carpal Tunnel Syndrome that qualify you for PIP.

If you are someone who is suffering from CTS, you should file your PIP claim by calling the PIP new claims phone line at 0800 917 2222.

The amount that you will be able to claim with PIP depends on how difficult it is for you to:

  • perform everyday activities
  • move around in a familiar space

Your ability to perform everyday activities determines how much you can claim in the daily living component for PIP. Meanwhile, your ability to move around determines your claim for the mobility component.

Below are the details of how much you can claim based on the above factors:

  • if you are claiming the daily living part for PIP, you can either claim £61.85 as the lower rate for this component or £92.40 as the higher rate 
  • if you are claiming the mobility part for PIP, you can either claim the lower rate of £24.45 or the higher rate of £64.50

Depending on your eligibility and assessment results, you can qualify for both components of PIP. Payments are made by the DWP every four weeks. 

If you have suffered a workplace injury that caused your condition, you will also qualify for Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit. Additionally, if you are unemployed or on a low income due to the loss of a job or having to limit the number of hours you work, you can claim Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit.

Your local council office may be able to connect you to organisations that provide financial support to individuals on a low income. Grants and interest-free loans extended by such organisations can help you in meeting your living costs while you continue to seek medical attention for your condition.

How Can I Claim PIP For Carpal Tunnel?

To claim PIP for Carpal Tunnel, you can call the PIP new claims phone line at 0800 917 2222 or contact the Disability Service Centre. The authorities will send you a form in which you will need to fill in details of your condition. It is advisable to add evidence to support your claim along with this form. 

Once you complete and send back the form to the DWP, your health assessment through an independent third-party medical professional will be organised.

Before you apply for PIP, you will need the following information to file a claim:

  • your date of birth
  • your contact details including telephone number, email and home address
  • your National Insurance number
  • your bank account or building society account number as well as sort code
  • your doctor’s name, complete address and telephone number

You can also file your claim via post by sending your form to the following address:

Personal Independence Payment New Claims

Post Handling Site B


WV99 1AH

Once your claim for PIP is approved, the person taking care of you (if any) can apply for a Carer’s Allowance; as long as they spend at least 35 hours each week taking care of you and earn less than £132 a week. 

Can I Claim Compensation For Carpal Tunnel?

Yes, you can claim compensation from your employer if you have suffered an injury at work that caused you to suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome; or if the nature of your job has been such that it has led to the development of the condition. 

Your compensation claim in this regard can be based on the following grounds:

  • mental trauma
  • pain and suffering
  • life-changing injuries
  • loss of earnings
  • loss of future earnings
  • home adaptations
  • increased transport costs
  • medical expenses
  • future medical expenses

Depending on your circumstances, the compensation you can claim from your employer for CTS can be classified as follows:

  • you can claim between £2,200 to £10,750 if you are expected to recover from your condition in three years
  • you can claim between £14,900 to £16,340 if you are expected to have to continue but fluctuating symptoms over some time
  • you can claim between £21,910 to £23,130 if you experience permanent disabilities or loss of employment


The discussion in the above article brings us to the conclusion that one can claim Personal Independence Payment (or PIP) if they have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. The main reason for this is that the condition is known to have long-lasting effects on one’s mobility and can also affect one’s ability to find a job in the long run. Being classed as a disability, Carpal Tunnel qualifies you for disability benefits including PIP.


PIP: Arthritis, carpal tunnel and other bone conditions could qualify Britons for £150 | Personal Finance

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Claims

Personal Independence Payment (PIP): What PIP is for – GOV.UK