Can I Add Someone To My Council Tax Bill?

While council tax is a mandatory payment for all adults in the UK, there are certain individuals who cannot be added to a council tax bill or are disregarded from its payment. Through this blog post, we aim to learn whether someone can be added to an existing council tax bill and the process involved in it. In addition to this, we will also discuss the hierarchy of council tax payments, the degree of liability of occupants towards council tax and the classification of those individuals who cannot be added to a council tax bill.

Can I Add Someone To My Council Tax Bill?

Yes, you can add someone to your council tax bill but this depends on their occupancy status in your home. For instance, if your partner starts living with you, you would need to share a copy of your marriage certificate or civil partnership deed with the council when you ask them to add your partner’s name to your council tax bill. However, even if spouses, civil partners or live-in partners are not added to council tax bills, they are still considered s jointly liable for payments.

In the case of a joint tenancy, the tenancy agreement will serve as evidence to prove that both tenants are equally responsible for paying the council tax bill. In the same way in the case of joint ownership of a property, the mortgage statement or title deed will provide proof of both owners accepting joint responsibility for council tax payments.

In either case, you cannot add someone to your council tax bill on your own and will have to request your local council authority and provide the required information as well as appropriate evidence as required. 

When you request for someone to be added to your council tax bill, you will also be asked by the authorities to provide the following information:

  • your Council Tax account number
  • the property address
  • the names of the people who are to be added to the Council Tax bill
  • occupancy status of the person to be added; a joint tenant, owner or neither
  • previous address of the person to be added 

Who Cannot Be Added To Council Tax Bill?

The following list of individuals cannot be added to a council tax bill:

  • someone who lives in the property owned or taken on rent by their parents
  • someone who lives with the owner but is not a joint owner themselves
  • someone who lives with the tenant but has not signed the tenancy agreement

In addition to this certain occupants are disregarded from council tax payments. These include the following:

  • younger than 18 years of age
  • aged 18 or 19 years but in full-time education or an apprenticeship scheme
  • aged 25 years and receiving funding from the Education and Skills Funding Agency
  • a live-in carer who is not the tenant/owner’s spouse or partner 
  • a foreign language assistant registered with the British Council
  • a nurse
  • a diplomat

What Is The Council Tax Hierarchy?

As a general rule, council tax bills are sent in the name of the person who is registered as the one ”liable” for such bills. Council tax becomes payable upon those who fall under the hierarchy of liability; which looks something like this:

  • at the top of the hierarchy is the resident who owns either the leasehold or freehold of the property;
  • the second in line is a resident tenant;
  • this is followed by a resident who is not a tenant but lives on the property;
  • then comes any resident occupying the property;
  • and finally, the owner of the property while it remains unoccupied

However, unless the council tax bill is sent to your name, you are not liable to pay.


The discussion in this article makes it clear that while partners can spouses can easily be added to council tax bills, disregarded individuals and students cannot be added. However, this addition cannot be executed by the tenant/owner themselves; as they will be required to apply for this addition to the council authorities along with the required information regarding the occupant to be added as well as evidence such as a marriage or civil partnership certificate or a tenancy or title deed.

FAQs: Can I Add Someone To My Council Tax Bill?

Does council tax have to be in joint names?

No, the council tax bill does not necessarily have to be in joint names. However, if more than one person is responsible for council tax payments of a property, their names can be added to the council tax bill by requesting the council authorities. Married couples or civil partners are considered to be equally responsible for council tax payments even if their names are not added.

Is council tax paid by person or by property?

Council tax is paid by person in the sense that a single occupant of a proeprty gets a 25 per cent discount on their council tax bill. A full council tax is applied to a property on the assumption that it is occupied by two adults. Council tax is paid by proeprty as the market value of a property determines its council tax band and subsequent amount.

Who is liable for council tax?

The person whose name appears on the council tax bill is liable for council tax payments. However, in the case of married couples, civil or live-in partners, both the individuals are considered jointly responsible for council tax.

Can you add someone to your tenancy?

Yes, you can add someone to your tenancy as long as you have written permission from your landlord to do so.

Is a lodger responsible for council tax?

No, if you are a lodger in someone’s house, you cannot be held responsible for council tax payments. Although some people do add a portion of the council tax bill in the amount they charge from lodgers.


Working out your Council Tax – GOV.UK

How Council Tax works: Who has to pay – GOV.UK

Add someone to your council tax account

Add or remove someone from your account | Lambeth Council