Will The Council Replace My Electric Fire?

If you are considering replacing the electric fire in your council house and are wondering whether or not the council authorities will get it done for you, you will find detailed guidance in the following blog post. We will help you find the answer to your question and also provide tips and how to get an electric fire installed and the costs to expect.

Will The Council Replace My Electric Fire?

Whether or not the council will get your electric fire replaced depends on a few factors. For instance, if you have recently moved into a council house or are about to move into one and the electric fire is not working, you can ask the council authorities to have it fixed before you move in.

When it comes to repairs and maintenance of this nature, council authorities are not responsible for undertaking the task as these are considered to be the responsibility of the tenant(s). 

Therefore, if you’ve been living in a council house and especially if you are a secure tenant, the council authorities may or may not pay for getting the electric fire repaired or replaced and will ask you to bear the expense yourself.

Another option is the terms of agreement stated in your tenancy contract. If your tenancy contract mentions that the council/social housing landlord will pay for repairs to household equipment, they will do so.

That said, if you are on a low income and claiming benefits, you can apply for financial support from your local council office or the Department for Work and Pensions. 

The DWP provides interest-free loans and grants to benefits claimants to provide them with monetary assistance so that they are able to maintain their living expenses.

How Can I Get Help To Replace My Electric Fire?

You can get help from the Department for Work and Pensions to replace the electric fire in your council house. However, you must keep in mind that you should be claiming certain benefits to apply for a loan or a grant from them.

Claimants of the following benefits can get a Budgeting Advance of up to £812:

  • Universal Credit
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (Income-Based)
  • Employment And Support Allowance (Income-Related)
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit

This is an advance payment of one’s benefits claim that needs to be returned to the DWP through reduced future benefits (usually in the next 12 months).

Similarly, you can apply for a Budgeting Loan of £812 from the DWP, if you claim the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Related Employment And Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit

This is a lump-sum, interest-free loan that you can return through instalments by having your future benefits payments reduced.

How Can I Replace The Electric Fire In My Council House?

If you need to replace the electric fire in your council house, you can find some options at Valor Electric Fires. The manufacturers claim their electric fires to be 100% efficient from the point of use; with a diverse range of products that can meet individual needs.

Once you’ve made your choice, it is advisable to go through the instruction manual in detail. While you will not need an electrician to install an electric fire as no new wiring needs to be done, it is best to be well-prepared prior to the actual installation.

In case of any electrical work needed prior to or during the installation of your electric fire, you would need to make sure that it is according to Building Regulations and must inform your local council office accordingly.

Since no structural work is required in the case of electric fires, residents are mostly able to install one themselves, without requiring professional help. 

How Much Does It Cost To Replace An Electric Fire?

The cost of replacing an electric fire will depend on the specifications of the equipment you purchase as well as its installation cost.

An electric fire can cost anywhere between £100 to £2,000 and the installation cost can be between £400 to £1,000.

Then there could be additional costs related to the removal of a previous gas or electric fire, any plastering or painting job required in the areas where it is being installed as well as which part of the UK you live in. 


The above discussion helps to conclude that while council authorities do not help in replacing or even repairing electric fires for council housing tenants if you are someone on a low income or claiming benefits, you can ask for an interest-free grant or a loan from the DWP to replace your electric fire.


Council housing: Repairs and maintenance – GOV.UK

Repairs and maintenance in council and housing association homes – Shelter England