Will I Lose My Council House If I Get Married?

Counil houses are intended for individuals on a low income. This is the reason why there is a regular assessment of your fiancnies each time there is a change in your circusmtances to confirm your eligibility for a council house. The aim of the blogspot is to learn whether a council housing tenant will lose their council house if they get married. However, for a 360-degree view of the situation, we will also discuss changes to tenancy agreements resulting from marriage as well as changes in circumstances that affect your council housing eligibility and benefits claim.

Will I Lose My Council House If I Get Married?

It is not necessary that you would lose your council house simply as a result of getting married. However, when you do get married, in addition to your income and savings, your partner’s income and savings will also be accounted for as part of your means test. As a result of this, should your joint incomes and savings suggest that you are financially better off than the eligibility criteria for a council house, you may have to give up your council house.

The same would be the case in case you marry someone who already owns a house or if you start using their home as your main residence.

Since council houses are provided to support affordable housing for individuals on a low income; it is essential to know whether you are considered to be on low income once your and your partner’s joint incomes are taken into account. 

Households in the UK are classified as being on low income if they live on less than 60 per cent of the median net disposable income earned. As per recent data gathered and analysed by the Department for Work and Pensions a household with a couple having no children would be considered to be in low income if their annual household income is less than £17,100 BHC (before housing costs) and £14,800 AHC (after housing costs). 

In addition to your council house, if you have been claiming any benefits as well such as Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, you may also lose on your benefits claim as well as a result of the financial assessment of you and your partner’s income and savings.

Once you get married, you may also need to consider the following in relation to your council housing benefits:

  • Will my partner live with me in my council house?
  • Do I need to add my partner to my council housing tenancy agreement?
  • Does my partner own or rent a house of their own?
  • Will I move in with my partner after I get married?

Do I need to add my partner to my council housing tenancy agreement?

It is not obligatory upon the married couple to be an equal part of tenancy agreements. If you choose to maintain your council house post marriage, you can continue with your tenancy agreement in the same way as before. 

However should you and your partner consider them being added as a joint tenant to your concil house, you may find it useful to consider that as joint tenants, both of you will become responsible for the following:

  • Timely payment of the rent
  • Protection and care of council property
  • Each other’s social attitudes

A disadvantage of adding someone to your tenancy agreement is that you may lose a significant proportion of the benefits you claim especially Housing Benefit and Universal Credit.

Do I Need To Inform Council If I Get Married?

Yes, you do need to inform the local council authorities if you get married as it is considered 

a change of circumstances that must be reported to local authorities both for housing as well as beenefits claim. In addition to your marital status, you should also inform the council in case of a change in any of the following conditions:

  • Your living circumstances or relationship status changes such as moving in with a new partner, getting married or forming a civil partnership, separation or divorce
  • There has been the death of a child or partner
  • Your working hours are reduced to less than 30 hours a week (combined hours in case of a partnership/marriage)
  • You move out of the UK for 8 weeks or more
  • You leave the UK permanently (this includes losing the right to reside in the UK)
  • You start working for less than 16 hours while claiming childcare costs
  • You (as part of a union) go on strike for more than 10 consecutive days
  • Your child stops going to childcare for at least 4 weeks
  • Your childcare costs stop, reduce by £10 or more a week, or claimants are getting help
  • Your childcare provider is no longer registered or approved
  • Your child moves out of home, goes into care or is taken into custody
  • Your child who is over 16 leaves approved education or training


The above discussion makes it clear that it is not only marriage that will directly cause you to lose your claim over a council house; however, should the marriage lead to a means assessment that depicts a significant increase in income or the fact that your partner owns a rent their own house, you may have to give up your council house.

FAQs: Will I Lose My Council House If I Get Married?

Can my partner move into my council house in the UK?

Yes, your partner can move into your council house in the UK. However, you must consider the possibility of a reduction in benefits if you were claiming them before as well as the revolation of your coucil tax discount. 

Can I add my son to my council tenancy in the UK?

Yes, you can add your son or any other family member to your council tenancy agreement in the UK; as long as you have a written agreement regarding the matter with your landlord. 

Does my partner have to be on the tenancy agreement in the UK?

No, your partner does not have to be on the tenancy agreement if they share a house with you in the UK. Being added to the tenancy agreement would mean that your partner will have the same responsibilities as you have being a tenant.

Will I lose housing benefit if my partner moves in?

Yes, you may lose housing benefit if your partner moves in and your joint incomes and savings are taken into account for a means test.

Can council houses be passed down?

Yes, council houses can be passed down but this can only be done once. This means that if you have inherited a council house, you may not be able to pass it down again.


Getting Married and Keeping a Council House — MoneySavingExpert Forum

Will my girlfriend lose her council flat if i marry her? I own two properties.

Add or remove someone from a tenancy

Tell HMRC about a change to your personal details: Relationship or family changes – GOV.UK