Teachers housing association (A complete review)

In this brief guide, we are going to discuss the Teachers housing association, the services it offers and how to contact them.

Who are the Teachers housing association?

The teachers housing association is a housing association which was started in 1967. They provide rented accommodation for people who need housing and prioritise those who have education needs as part of their accommodation requirement. The housing they offer is sheltered and this is offered for older people, teachers and others in Greater London. The teachers housing association aim to offer, safe, affordable and comfortable housing in the region.

The teachers housing association primarily provides housing in these boroughs: the London Boroughs of Bexley, Brent, Croydon, Haringey, Islington, Kingston-upon-Thames and Waltham Forest. The houses they provide are of varying sizes: From houses as big as 4 bedroom houses to studio flats.

If you work in the education industry and live in any of the boroughs mentioned above then you are able to apply for a home in the Teachers housing association.

Teachers housing association also provide sheltered housing to over 300 people who are now retired in these areas: Birmingham, Brighton, Christchurch, Croydon, Hull, Paignton and Stoke-on-Trent. 

The teachers housing association is a not for profit charitable organisation and is also registered with the Homes and Communities Agency as a Registered Provider (Registration No. LH0426).

They are also affiliated with the National Housing Federation and are registered with the Financial Services Authority under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014 (Registration No. 17955R).

Finally, they are registered with the Charity Commission under the Charities Act 1960 (Registration No. 255199).

Their Registered Office Address is:

Rugby Chambers

2 Rugby Street



How to contact the Teachers housing association?

This is their main office and you can contact them by phone in the numbers below during normal working hours from Monday to Friday:

Telephone: 0207 440 9440

Fax 0207 404 3322

You can also contact them via email at: enquiries@teachershousing.org.uk

As a Housing association, they provide an annual report which you may be able to request by contacting them via email or making a phone call to the head office on the number mentioned above.

If you want to apply for any of the Teachers housing association homes you can contact them via their website and you will find details of how to apply on the website. You will see properties listed with details on how to apply for them. This will also include details of who is the appropriate contact managing the rental of the property.

Tenant portal

Aside from being able to make a rental enquiry via the portal, you may also be able to manage your tenancy via the portal.

Most of this is focussed around helping you pay your rent on time in whatever method you choose to. 

You can find more information about the tenant services offered by the Teacher housing association on their website.

Get a mortgage for your Teachers housing association house

You may want to consider using an independent mortgage broker to get a mortgage.

Mortgage brokers are important as they can access mortgage products from across the whole of the market in some cases. This could be over 11,000 mortgage products. This may have some advantages than going directly to a mortgage lender.

A mortgage broker will look to understand your financial circumstances and then provide recommendations on which mortgage products may be suitable for you.

After giving you these mortgage recommendations, most mortgage brokers will seek your consent to apply for a mortgage in principle. This will allow you to shop for your home easier as more estate agents and sellers may take you seriously or it will give you confidence that your remortgage is indeed a possibility before you make a full mortgage application. Once you have found a home you want to buy or are satisfied with the mortgage offer for your remortgage then the mortgage broker will then look to get you a mortgage offer.

This will come with a key facts illustration document which details out the features of your mortgage including how much you will pay per month if there are any limits such as early repayment fees, or annual overpayment limits.

If you are happy with everything you can then go on to secure your mortgage with the help of a conveyancer. Your conveyancer will manage the legal searches on the property to ensure there aren’t any issues with it, they will oversee the sales agreement to ensure it is in your best interest, they will manage the transfer of mortgage funds, exchange contracts with the seller or their conveyancer and set a completion date with the seller or their conveyancer.

In this brief guide, we discussed the Teachers housing association. If you have any comments or questions please let us know.

If you need financial advice and you live in the UK then you could contact the Money Advice service over the phone or via chat for impartial advice.

You can also contact the debt charity “Step Change” if you are in debt and need help.