A shared ownership lodger is someone who shares your home, usually in return for some periodic payment.

Although your shared ownership lodger may have their own room, they do not have exclusive use of it and they do not have any tenancy rights under the law.

You may offer your shared ownership lodger laundry, cleaning and food and this may change their definition from a lodger to a boarder.

You should always ask your shared ownership landlord if you can have a shared ownership lodger to prevent you from being in breach of your shared ownership lease agreement and risk getting evicted.

A shared ownership lodger may also affect any universal credit, housing benefits or other benefits you may have been receiving or could be entitled to.

If you need financial advice and you live in the UK then you could contact the Money Advice service over the phone or via chat for impartial advice.

You can also contact the debt charity “Step Change” if you are in debt and need help.

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?