This blog answers the question “Is A Parking Ticket Illegal If It Has The Wrong Registration Number On It?” A Parking ticket is illegal if it has the wrong registration number on it as the driving offence cannot be proven without mentioning the correct registration number. The blog explains what a Penalty Charge Notice is for and how it can be appealed.

Is A Parking Ticket Illegal If It Has The Wrong Registration Number On It?

Yes, indeed, a parking ticket is illegal if it has the wrong registration number on it. Such a parking ticket must be returned to the organisation which has booked you with it immediately (with a message stating that you don’t own the car mentioned in the parking ticket).

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency issues you a letter when you sell your vehicle. This letter states your vehicle registration number and model and the date on which it was sold to its new owner. You will need to attach this letter to your correspondence to the DVLA to prove that you are not the owner of this vehicle anymore.

If you are unable to produce this letter from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency you can ask them for a replacement letter. For this, you will need to include your vehicle registration number, vehicle model and manufacturer information, the precise date of your transfer, and mention the exact name and address of the new owner of the automobile.

Your request needs to be sent to the following address:



SA99 1ZZ

The Driver Vehicle and Licensing Agency will issue you with a replacement letter within 4 weeks.

If you still receive a fine for not informing the Driver Vehicle and Licensing Agency that you are no longer the owner of this vehicle, you can appeal the fine (within 28 days). After you have appealed to the DVLA, the agency will contact you (once they have received it) and tell you what happens next.

In case you have no idea which vehicle or registration number is mentioned on your parking ticket (or penalty charge notice) you have to write to the DVLA to ask for proof that the vehicle mentioned is not yours. You can attach as much information about the vehicle (registration number) as you may be able to discover from official records or from the DVLA’s online vehicle inquiry service.

If you’ve currently taken your vehicle off the road with the intention of selling it to someone later through a V890 form for making a statutory off-road notification. You can use the 11-digit number on your vehicle log book (V5C), to take it off the road immediately. You will receive a tax refund for any (full) months of vehicle tax payments that are remaining.

In such a case if your own vehicle was recently placed under a “Statutory Off Road Notification” and you have received an incorrect parking ticket, you must inform the DVLA of your situation immediately..

The letter is obtained after completing and submitting form V 62, which is used to apply for a vehicle registration certificate.

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a fine or monetary penalty for driving or road offences. You could be issued a Penalty Charge notice for committing the following crimes:

  • Parking your vehicle in the wrong space or for an unspecified duration of time or for failing to pay the parking charge.
  •  Violating traffic rules
  • Failing to pay the following charges on time. Fees for driving through the London Congestion Zone, the low emission zone, and the Dartford Thurrock river crossing between 6am and 10pm

You will be given a period of 28 days to respond to this Penalty Charge Notice. If you fail to pay the fine or appeal it, you will be sent a charge certificate. A charge certificate increases the penalty amount of the PCN by 50% and has to be paid within 14 days. The charge certificate cannot be appealed.

A charge certificate is usually issued for the following reasons:

  • Failing to pay a Penalty Charge Notice
  • The personal appealing the PCN has withdrawn their appeal and has still failed to submit the penalty in the 14 days after this action.
  • An appeal against the Penalty Charge Notice was denied by the adjudicator and the registered keeper of the vehicle has failed to submit the fine within 28 days of this decision.
  • A notice of rejection has been issued to deny you the opportunity of formal representation (which can be appealed)

If you fail to pay the charge certificate, the enforcement authority will register the certificate with your local Traffic Enforcement Centre and a “court order” for recovery (of the debt), along with a witness certificate, will be sent to your address. The court order enforces that the PCN or charge certificate amount must be paid within 21 days.

On which grounds can I appeal the Notice of Rejection?

You can appeal a notice of rejection or notice to prevent you from getting a formal representation if the following conditions apply:

  • The traffic signs or common road markings were incorrect or improper
  • Your car was towed away improperly and its bumper is broken or damaged. Your car collided with another vehicle on the road as it was changing lanes while being towed away. Your car got unhooked from the trailer (towing it to the impounded zone) and collided with oncoming traffic or the towing driver committed a major traffic violation such as hitting a pedestrian.
  • You are able to prove that the Penalty Charge Notice was excessive.
  • Your vehicle has been stolen from you. 
  • You had received an incorrect PCN and were not the owner of the vehicle when the parking ticket was issued. This case should include proof of the letter from the DVLA issued on the date of sale of that vehicle
  • The traffic violation mentioned on the ticket never took place. In this case you are claiming that the reporting of the misdemeanour you are being charged with needs to be reverified. It may involve cases like your parking time (not) running out.

Evidence that can be added to your notice of appeal to strengthen your case includes:

  • A Blue Badge owned by a disabled person
  • A car repair invoice, showing the expenses you have made recently
  • Original car documents including your car’s V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate,  the letter you received from the DVLA when you sold your previous car (as proof that it is no longer yours). If you have bought a used vehicle, you should have its MOT certificate, its vehicle registration certificate, the original car purchase invoice and an Individual Approval Certificate.
  • A pay and display ticket, used for parking your car. (it would mention the parking duration and payment charge on it)

These motives for an appeal are mentioned in Schedule 6, Section 2 or the Road Traffic Act 1991

You can report an issue (being faded or misleading) with a road marking, online. Your complaint can be registered by using the map given on the website by following these steps:

  • Enter the street name (where your incorrect marking or sign is located) and zoom in to the exact spot where the mistake was reported
  • Click on the road section of the map to report your observed faults and add your personal details where required
  • If the issue has already been reported by someone, you can still add your name, address and contact details to the same observation by clicking “Add”


This blog addressed the question “Is A Parking Ticket Illegal If It Has The Wrong Registration Number On It?” A parking ticket (or PCN) with the wrong registration number on it is unlawful and must not be paid, but it is still valid until the DVLA has been informed that you have been issued with the PCN in error.

Such a parking ticket bearing an incorrect registration number may be issued in your name and must be responded to or appealed against within 28 days (with the necessary evidence to prove that you have sold the vehicle). You will also need to attach a copy of your own V5C vehicle registration certificate.

Please feel free to comment on the content or ask any questions in the comments section below :

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):  Is A Parking Ticket Illegal If It Has The Wrong Registration Number On It?

How Do I Register A Rebuilt Vehicle?

The steps for registering a rebuilt vehicle are mentioned below:

Firstly, you need to ensure that your vehicle complies with the road vehicle’s regulations requirements. These requirements include:

  •  Dimensions and Maneuverability
  • Brake efficiency standards
  • Wheels and Springs maintenance
  •  Tires and Tracks
  •  Steering Gear Maintenance
  • Vision
  •  Instruments and Equipment
  • Fuel Standards
  •  Protective Systems, 
  • Control of Emissions standards
  •  Plates, Marking, Testing, and Inspection
  • Control of Noise 
  • Avoidance of Danger regulations.

All these legal requirements concerning the condition of your car must be approved before it can be registered or driven on the road.

Secondly, you have to Provide the Driver Valuation and Licensing Agency with the following documents:

  •  Form V 627/1, also known as the Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report form and the V 55-5 form for registering used vehicles (and applying for their first vehicle tax payment).
  •  The Vehicle Type Approval Number (passenger vehicles are classed under category M type approval).  

This will be provided once your vehicle has been inspected under the Individual Vehicle Approval Scheme. You can apply for type approval by filling out this form and by paying the application fee of £450 through check or postal order in the name of the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency.

 At the end attach your completed form to the Technical Application System online at The Driver Vehicle Standards Agency will get back to you within 20 working days of receiving your completed application and communicate a schedule for the inspection of your vehicle.

The DVSA will issue you an Individual Approval Certificate (IAC) once your vehicle clears the inspection.

  • You will need to provide the original vehicle registration certificate which was issued by the DVLA for the vehicle that has been reconstructed.
  •  Snapshots of the reconstructed vehicle, which would be used to classify its current type. 
  • You will also need to show the original receipts for spare parts used to construct the rebuilt vehicle.

Copies of documents that need to be attached with your application include:

  • Your photocard driving license
  • Proof of successful vehicle approval, which is usually an Individual Approval Certificate
  • Any documents in your possession relating to the vehicle
  • A Certificate of Motor Insurance (under the Motor Vehicles Regulations Act 1972)

You will also need to include 2 more things in your application for registering a rebuilt vehicle. These are the first payment of your new (rebuilt) vehicle tax and a £55 registration fee, both of which are also included in the V 55-5 form.

This information must be forwarded to the Driver Vehicle and Licensing Agency at the following address:

K and R 


SA 991ZZ

Under What Conditions Can A Rebuilt Vehicle be allowed to keep its original registration number?

A rebuilt vehicle can be allowed to keep its original registration number if you are able to provide the DVLA with the following verifications (about the reconstruction of your vehicle):

  • You have reused the original (unaltered) chassis in your reconstruction
  • You are using a brand new chassis (or a chassis and body combination) for reconstructing the vehicle but it has the same specifications as the original one.
  • You also need to include 2 main components of the vehicle that was rebuilt which can be the suspension, engine, car transmission system, axles, and steering gear assembly

You might also want to consider applying for a Q registration number if you don’t qualify to keep the vehicle’s original registration number.


Traffic Management Act 2004

The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999