How Can I Challenge An Edmonton Southside PCN?

This blog serves to answer the question “How Can I Challenge An Edmonton Southside PCN? You should memorise all the Parking, Bus Lane and Moving Traffic contravention codes to use with the text of your PCN challenge as they are essential knowledge for any driver driving on the roads of Enfield Council. These contravention codes can then be matched with your available evidence material to form a case that clearly shows that the traffic violation didn’t happen.

How Can I Challenge An Edmonton Southside PCN?

You need to look at the contravention code on your PCN before challenging the Penalty Charge Notice, if the code says code 90, you have to prove that you did not actually repark your vehicle within the car park within one hour of removing it from the location. This case requires you to use a video clip of your vehicle made on that specific day, which will be a part of your daily road trips videos that you film in order to anticipate a future PCN. 

You have to ensure that you attach the video clip after properly uploading it onto your computer, and preferably trimming it to meet the space requirements of the Enfield Council website evidence section. Your PCN challenge must contain a well worded explanation of how you didn’t repark your vehicle back into the car park within one hour (60 minutes) duration of leaving the location and preferably also contain a reason why you had to use the car park again so soon.

If you can prove with the video clip that your vehicle re-entered the car park after one hour of leaving it, you will be able to get the PCN cancelled by the Enfield Council. Similarly for other parking, bus lane and moving traffic PCNs you have to ensure that you do attach authentic evidence to support the grounds of your PCN challenge.

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a monetary penalty issued to drivers or motorists for committing certain traffic contraventions including violating Parking, Bus Lane and Moving Traffic restrictions. A PCN is issued for failing to follow Parking zone, bus lane enforcement and moving traffic restrictions mentioned in the Road Traffic Act 1984 and the Traffic Management Act 2004.

A penalty charge notice can be handed to you by a Civil Enforcement Officer or dispatched to your (DVLA) residential address by post. CCTV cameras and Civil Enforcement Officers observe traffic contraventions before a violation is detected and the vehicle is charged with a PCN.

A PCN might also be issued for failing to pay road charges on time. You have 28 days to decide how and if you would like to challenge your Penalty Charge Notice. After 28 days if you have neither paid nor challenged your PCN, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

If you don’t challenge a PCN, you should pay the fine within 28 days, otherwise, its amount will increase by 50%. A £70 PCN will be worth £105 if you pay it in the 14 days after receiving your charge certificate.

What is the procedure for appealing against an Edmonton Southside PCN?

You can submit a formal representation to your Edmonton Southside PCN by writing a letter addressed to the Enfield Council or by filling in the online formal representation form on the Enfield Council’s official website.

You need to brainstorm reasons for challenging an Edmonton Southside PCN from the day of the incident and list them down in word processing software or on paper. It is essential to have some authentic evidence to attach with your PCN appeal in the form of video footage of the traffic violation, medical certificates explaining your mitigating circumstances, or pay and display tickets. 

The evidence must be matched with the grounds for your appeal before describing the incident from your point of view. Your rough formal representation can be edited for clarity multiple times before it is ready to attach to your online appeal to the Enfield Council. You need to visit the Enfield Council website to submit a formal representation to your PCN. You have to open this webpage to enter your PCN number,your Vehicle Registration Number and a Web Code mentioned on your Penalty Charge Notice. You need to click on “Search”  to view your PCN details before filling in the online appeals form.

It is essential to upload authentic evidence material with your PCN challenge to describe your mitigating circumstances to the Enfield Council and for explaining your point of view of the events which took place at the traffic violation scene.  If you made a video clip of your traffic contravention, you should save snapshots from it by using a video player or video editing software. 

Most video players such as VLC player allow you to slow down your video frame by frame and thus take ( a collection of) snapshots to attach with your Edmonton Southside PCN challenge.The text of your appeal must state the relevant contravention code on your PCN and explain how you attempted to avoid the error (supported by photos or video footage).

Once you have proofread your appeal to eliminate any reasons for your challenge which might convey a disregard for traffic contravention codes enforced in the Enfield Council (by mixing up the contraventions) or reasons which involve forgetfulness to justify your actions, you can submit the formal representation.

Another way to send in your Edmonton Southside PCN challenge is by mail. You can write a formal representation to the Tendring District Council on the reverse of your “Notice to Owner” document. This handwritten appeal should be composed gradually by incorporating all the available evidence material to support the grounds for your challenge and should be able to convince the council of your mitigating circumstances (or other acceptable reasons).

You should view evidence relating to your Edmonton Southside PCN online before writing down your appeal, so that you end up focusing on refuting the contents of the CCTV video or photographs or your traffic violation. Your PCN appeals form and all accompanying evidence documents (enclosed in an envelope) need to be sent to:

NSL Ltd,

PO Box 65732,


N13 9BL

The Enfield Council will respond to your PCN appeal and your PCN will be cancelled or you will be sent a Notice of Rejection or Representations, which needs to be received promptly in order to contest the notice with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

How much is the PCN fine for each of the 3 kinds of PCNs served in Enfield Council?

A Parking PCN in Enfield London Borough Council is served for violating higher or lower level parking restrictions. You have to pay £70 for committing a higher level parking contravention and £50 for a lower level parking contravention. If you pay the parking fine within 14 days, you will just be paying £35 or £25 as a 50% discount is applicable to your payment.

For failing to comply with a bus lane contravention code or a moving traffic restriction in Enfield Council, you will be charged a £70 Penalty Charge Notice. The 50% early payment discount reduces both these types of PCN fines to £35 if a bus lane PCN is paid within 21 days and a moving traffic PCN is paid within 14 days.

How Can I Pay My Edmonton Southside PCN?

You should be aware of the fact that you can only pay your Edmonton Southside PCN fine online. The PCN fine can be paid online on the Enfield Council official website. This payment method saves time and is also more precise as your details are entered directly into an electronic database.

If you were looking for a postal order payment option or a choice for paying your PCN fine via an automated payments hotline, you might be disappointed to learn that these options are unavailable for Edmonton Southside PCN.

You need to enter your Parking Charge (Notice Reference) Number and Vehicle Registration Number after opening this webpage to initiate the PCN fine payment online. After clicking “Search” you will be shown your Penalty Charge Notice information and in the next window, you can enter your payment card details. You must remember to wait for 24 hours after your PCN is issued before attempting to pay it.

Enfield Council accepts Visa Card, Master Card and Maestro card for PCN fine payments.

What will happen if I don’t pay my Edmonton Southside PCN within the 28-day limit?

You should not ignore traffic contraventions or the Penalty Charge Notices resulting from them or cultivate a careless attitude towards driving in Edmonton Town. As per your driving license rules, you are bound to abide by Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic contravention codes in Edmonton Town Council.

If you neither pay your Edmonton Southside PCN within 28 days nor decide to appeal against it, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The charge certificate increases your PCN fine by 50%, which means you will be paying £105 (or £75) now. You should pay the charge certificate within 14 days as it cannot be appealed and ignoring the charge certificate may result in the filing of a court order (for recovery of debts) against you by Enfield Council.

You will be sent a “Notice of Debt Registration” and a witness certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal, if you don’t pay the charge certificate amount within 14 days. The unpaid amount will be treated as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the Northampton County Court.

The court order for debt recovery enforces that the charge certificate amount must be paid in full within 21 days or the county court will have to use additional powers to recover the money from your possession which means employing Enforcement Agents to (contact you or) visit your personal premises.

Can I Dispute An Edmonton Southside PCN with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if the Enfield Council dismisses my appeal?

Yes, you can dispute the decision of the Enfield Council in your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The Traffic Penalty Tribunal website requires you to enter details given on your Notice of Rejection of Representations, after opening this webpage.

You can watch this instructional video here to learn about your challenge process. The video clearly explains how to use the online service offered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. On the Traffic Penalty Tribunal webpage, you will first have to select the type of PCN you were served by the Enfield Council (shown on the bottom part of the page).

After clicking on your specific type of Penalty Charge Notice, you should select “England” (Outside London). In the window which opens up, you should click on the orange box which reads “If you don’t agree with the PCN, you can make representations against it”.

After viewing the instructions on the following page, you need to click on “Start your appeal here” at the bottom of the webpage You will then be required to enter your Vehicle Registration Number, the reference number from the “Notice of Rejection” letter from the Enfield Council, and your PCN number for which the appeal was rejected on this page.

You can use the online service to challenge multiple “Notices of Rejection” simultaneously. You will require a valid email address to create an account on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You have to upload a copy of your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” letter to your application by using the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s online portal.

You can upload evidence such as video clips of your traffic violation scenes (taken from inside your vehicle), medical certificates from a certified General Practitioner, maps of the area showing the exact distance your vehicle travelled inside a no-entry zone, and scanned copies of “pay and display” tickets. You should construct a strong appeals case to communicate your mitigating circumstances or to deliver your assertion that the traffic violation never occurred.

The Traffic Penalty Tribunal should be able to ascertain the legitimacy of your situation by viewing evidence material uploaded to the PCN appeals system.

Your appeal of the “Notice of Rejection of Representations” should be submitted to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal within 28 days of receiving your Notification of Rejection from the Enfield Council. You must avail yourself of this chance of a free and independent hearing of your case.

You will be able to contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator during the formulation of your appeal. The result of your appeal will be communicated to you within 14-28 days of submitting your representation. If the adjudicator decides the case in your favour, the PCN will be cancelled by the Enfield Council.


This blog post addressed the question “How Can I Challenge An Edmonton Southside PCN?” You can challenge your Edmonton Southside PCN by mentioning mitigating circumstances for committing your emergency actions at the traffic violation scene or by stating that the traffic contravention didn’t happen. These 2 lines of contesting your PCN need to be carefully evaluated given your available evidence and circumstances relating to what happened at the scene where you got the PCN.