This blog serves to answer the question “How Can I Challenge A Yateley PCN?” Your formal representation can be focused on two different viewpoints of the incident, the first one states that the traffic violation didn’t happen and the other one mentions authentic mitigating circumstances for your actions. You need to spend more time on writing down a PCN challenge which communicates the reasons for your driving actions which were caused by unforeseeable circumstances and a cause and effect relationship needs to be established in this case.

How Can I Challenge A Yately PCN?

The Yateley Town Council  forms a part of  Hart District Council, which is the administrative division responsible for enforcing Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic contraventions in the Yateley Town Council. The CCTV cameras and Civil Enforcement Officers of the Hart District Council observe the parking zones, streets, and roads of the Yateley town council for catching any breach of contravention codes enforced in the council. 

You can challenge a Yateley PCN by writing a formal representation to your Penalty Charge Notice on the Notice To Owner document and sending it in by mail (to the Hart District Council) along with attached evidence material such as photographs of the scene or a paid parking permit. Before writing down your PCN challenge, you should be aware of the exact restrictions mentioned in the contravention code on your PCN. Once you have understood the grounds on which you can contest the PCN, you can proceed to mention these grounds and attach supporting evidence to back your formal representation.

You should also create a habit of memorising the traffic contravention codes enforced at different parking zones, road junctions and bus lanes along your daily route by matching them with their location. So when you stop at a road junction and see the sign in front of you, the name of the road you have to turn into (or should not turn into) should connect with its traffic contravention code in your head, say Code 32 which enforces one-way traffic.

You can always check the road signs in front of you but unless your mind understands beforehand how you have to drive your vehicle at the location or road turning, it can be risky to react to a traffic sign symbol within seconds without any prior preparation. Many times drivers have their thoughts occupied with work-related or other worries and this leads to a traffic violation where the only possible grounds for your appeal can be forgetfulness. 

Whether you choose to challenge your Yateley PCN on the council website or by sending in your formal representation by mail, the most important aspect of this challenge is the quality and relevance of the evidence material included for supporting the grounds for your appeal.

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a monetary penalty issued to drivers or motorists for committing certain traffic contraventions including violating Parking, Bus Lane and Moving Traffic restrictions. A PCN is issued for failing to follow Parking zone, bus lane enforcement and moving traffic restrictions mentioned in the Road Traffic Act 1984 and the Traffic Management Act 2004.

A penalty charge notice can be handed to you by a Civil Enforcement Officer or dispatched to your (DVLA) residential address by post. CCTV cameras and Civil Enforcement Officers observe traffic contraventions before a violation is detected and the vehicle is charged with a PCN.

A PCN might also be issued for failing to pay road charges on time. You have 28 days to decide how and if you would like to challenge your Penalty Charge Notice. After 28 days if you have neither paid nor challenged your PCN, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

If you don’t challenge a PCN, you should pay the fine within 28 days, otherwise, its amount will increase by 50%. A £70 PCN will be worth £105 if you pay it in the 14 days after receiving your charge certificate.

What is the procedure for appealing against a Yateley PCN?

You can submit a formal representation to your Yateley PCN by writing a letter addressed to the Hart District Council or by filling in the online formal representation form on the council’s official website.

You need to brainstorm reasons for challenging a Yateley PCN from the day of the incident and list them down in word processing software or on paper. It is essential to have some authentic evidence to attach with your PCN appeal in the form of video footage of the traffic violation, medical certificates explaining your mitigating circumstances, or pay and display tickets. 

The evidence must be matched with the grounds for your appeal before describing the incident from your point of view. Your rough formal representation can be edited for clarity multiple times before it is ready to attach to your online appeal to the Hart District Council. You need to visit the Hart District Council website to submit a formal representation to your PCN. You have to open this webpage to enter your PCN number and your Vehicle Registration Number and a Web Code mentioned on your Penalty Charge Notice. You need to click on “Search”  to view your PCN details before filling in the online appeals form.

It is essential to upload authentic evidence material with your PCN challenge to describe your mitigating circumstances to the Hart District Council and for explaining your point of view of the events which took place at the traffic violation scene.  If you made a video clip of your traffic contravention, you should save snapshots from it by using a video player or video editing software. 

Most video players such as VLC player allow you to slow down your video frame by frame and thus take ( a collection of) snapshots to attach with your Yateley PCN challenge.The text of your appeal must state the relevant contravention code on your PCN and explain how you attempted to avoid the error (supported by photos or video footage).

Once you have proofread your appeal to eliminate any reasons for your challenge which might convey a disregard for traffic contravention codes enforced in the Peterborough City Council (by mixing up the contraventions) or reasons which involve forgetfulness to justify your actions, you can submit the formal representation.

You can also submit an informal representation to your Yateley PCN (CCTV Bus Lane PCN or a Parking PCN served by a CEO which had to be delivered by post) by accessing your PCN details here. To access the form you need to enter your PCN number and vehicle registration number on this page..

You have to fill out the informal representation form by typing your full name, email address, and the contents of your informal representation. Once you are sure that you have constructed a strong appeals case to make the council grant you a formal representation, you can submit your form. The informal appeals stage is applicable to PCNs sent by post.

Another way to send in your Yateley PCN challenge is by mail. You can write a formal representation to the Hart District Council on the reverse of your “Notice to Owner” document. This handwritten appeal should be composed gradually by incorporating all the available evidence material to support the grounds for your challenge and should be able to convince the council of your mitigating circumstances (or other acceptable reasons).

You should view evidence relating to your Yateley PCN online before writing down your appeal, so that you end up focusing on refuting the contents of the CCTV video or photographs or your traffic violation. Your PCN appeals form and all accompanying evidence documents (enclosed in an envelope) need to be sent to:


PO Box Fleet 338,



GU51 4WH

The Hart District Council will respond to your PCN appeal and your PCN will be cancelled or you will be sent a Notice of Rejection or Representations, which needs to be received promptly in order to contest the notice with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

How Can I Pay My “Yateley Town PCN”?

You can pay your Yateley Town PCN on the Hart District Council’s online payments page, by sending a check or postal order to Hart District Council or by calling on the Hart District Council’s automated payments hotline.

If you prefer to make your PCN fine payment online, you can visit the Hart District Council website. After opening this webpage you need to click on “Pay A PCN”, in the window which opens up, you can click on “Parking Enforcement”. Now another web page opens up, where you need to enter your PCN Number and click on “Continue” to view CCTV evidence relating to your case before paying your PCN

For paying your PCN you will be asked for your payment card details. The Hart District Council accepts Mastercard, Visa Card, Maestro Card and Visa Electron card for PCN fine payments. Diners card and American Express card are not accepted for making PCN payments. Once you have entered the credit or debit card information you can proceed to paying your fine. It must be noted that paying your Yateley PCN eliminates any possibility for challenging the Penalty Charge Notice.

Your Yateley PCN can also be paid by calling on Hart District Council’s telephone payments service. You have to dial 01252 625 991 and enter your PCN number by using a * sign for the letters in the code. After this you will have to enter your payment card details. This payments service is available from Monday to Friday, between 09:00 am and 04:00 pm. You should wait to receive a confirmation code before ending your call.

You can also pay your Yateley PCN by sending a check or postal order payable to “Hart District Council”. You also need to attach the payment slip in your “Notice To Owner” document to this payment. The check or postal order should have your PCN number and Vehicle Registration Number written on the back. This payment needs to be sent to:


PO Box Fleet 338,



GU51 4WH

How much is the PCN fine for each of the 3 kinds of PCNs served in the Yateley Town Council?

A Parking PCN in the Yateley Town Council is served for violating higher or lower level parking restrictions. You have to pay £70 for committing a higher level parking contravention and £50 for a lower level parking contravention. If you pay the parking fine within 14 days, you will just be paying £35 or £25 as a 50% discount is applicable to your payment.

For failing to comply with a bus lane contravention code or a moving traffic restriction in Yateley Town Council, you will be charged a £70 Penalty Charge Notice. The 50% early payment discount reduces both these types of PCN fines to £35 if a bus lane PCN is paid within 21 days and a moving traffic PCN is paid within 14 days.

What will happen if I don’t pay my Yateley PCN within the 28-day limit?

You should not ignore traffic contraventions or the Penalty Charge Notices resulting from them or cultivate a careless attitude towards driving in the Yateley Town Council. As per your driving license rules, you are bound to abide by Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic contravention codes in the Yateley Town Council.

If you neither pay your Yateley PCN within 28 days nor decide to appeal against it, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The charge certificate increases your PCN fine by 50%, which means you will be paying £105 (or £75) now. You should pay the charge certificate within 14 days as it cannot be appealed and ignoring the charge certificate may result in the filing of a court order (for recovery of debts) against you by the Hart District Council.

You will be sent a “Notice of Debt Registration” and a witness certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if you don’t pay the charge certificate amount within 14 days. The unpaid amount will be treated as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the Northampton County Court.

The court order for debt recovery enforces that the charge certificate amount must be paid in full within 21 days the county court will have to use additional powers to recover the money from your possession which means employing Enforcement Agents to (contact you or) visit your personal premises.

Can I Dispute A Yateley PCN with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if the Hart District Council dismisses my appeal?

Yes, you can dispute the decision of the Hart District Council in your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The Traffic Penalty Tribunal website requires you to enter details given on your Notice of Rejection of Representations, after opening this webpage

You can watch this instructional video here to learn about your challenge process. The video clearly explains how to use the online service offered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. On the Traffic Penalty Tribunal webpage, you will first have to select the type of PCN you were served by the Hart District Council (shown on the bottom part of the page).

After clicking on your specific type of Penalty Charge Notice, you should select “England” (Outside London). In the window which opens up, you should click on the orange box which reads “If you don’t agree with the PCN, you can make representations against it”.

After viewing the instructions on the following page, you need to click on “Start your appeal here” at the bottom of the webpage You will then be required to enter your Vehicle Registration Number, the reference number from the “Notice of Rejection” letter from the Hart District Council, and your PCN number for which the appeal was rejected on this page.

You can use the online service to challenge multiple “Notices of Rejection” simultaneously. You will require a valid email address to create an account on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You have to upload a copy of your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” letter to your application by using the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s online portal.

You can upload evidence such as video clips of your traffic violation scenes (taken from inside your vehicle), medical certificates from a certified General Practitioner, maps of the area showing the exact distance your vehicle travelled inside a no-entry zone, and scanned copies of “pay and display” tickets. You should construct a strong appeals case to communicate your mitigating circumstances or to deliver your assertion that the traffic violation never occurred.

The Traffic Penalty Tribunal should be able to ascertain the legitimacy of your situation by viewing evidence material uploaded to the PCN appeals system.

Your appeal of the “Notice of Rejection of Representations” should be submitted to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal within 28 days of receiving your Notification of Rejection from the Hart District Council. You must avail yourself of this chance of a free and independent hearing of your case. 

You will be able to contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator during the formulation of your appeal. The result of your appeal will be communicated to you within 14-28 days of submitting your representation. If the adjudicator decides the case in your favour, the PCN will be cancelled by the Hart District Council.


This blog post addressed the question “How Can I Challenge A Yateley PCN?” You can challenge your PCN by mentioning that the traffic contravention never occurred, which requires evidence in the form of photographs taken at the scene or a video of the traffic violation which clearly disproves the evidence provided by the Hart District Council. Otherwise the only other legitimate reason for challenging a Yateley PCN could be any authentic mitigating circumstances which led you to breach the relevant traffic contravention.

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?