This blog serves to answer the question “How Can I Challenge A Woking PCN?” A Penalty Charge Notice should be challenged after studying the relevant traffic contravention code and collecting proper evidence to support your case. Photographs and video clips are the best forms of evidence to clearly show your point of the traffic violation and prove that the PCN was served in error.

How Can I Challenge A Woking PCN?

You can challenge a PCN served in the Woking Borough Council by composing a written appeal backed by material evidence such as maps, photographs, or eyewitness statements and sending it in by post to the council.. This appeal written by hand should mention the relevant traffic contravention according to the provisions of the Road Traffic Act 1984 or the Traffic Management Act 2004. After stating the contravention code, you can dispute the PCN by using the established grounds for contesting a Parking, Bus Lane or Moving Traffic PCN. 

Another quicker and more efficient (for attaching evidence) way for challenging a Woking PCN is by using the official Woking Borough website. If you have access to a personal computer or laptop, you can easily maintain a folder with photos and videos of your vehicle journeys as well as scanned copies of pay and display tickets. These can be instantly uploaded to the Woking Borough Council online PCN appeals page to support the grounds for your appeal.

The reasons for your PCN challenge must not indicate a lack of awareness of the traffic contraventions in place in Woking Borough Council (which conveys a disrespect for Parking, Bus Lane and Moving Traffic restrictions enforced in the council) or mention forgetfulness as the cause of your actions at the traffic violation scene.

It is essential for you to compile a strong appeals case before sending in your formal representation so as to avoid being served a “Notice of Rejection of Representations”, which means the Woking Borough Council has denied your PCN appeal. 

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a monetary penalty issued to drivers or motorists for committing certain traffic contraventions including violating Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic restrictions. A PCN is issued for failing to follow Parking zone, bus lane enforcement, and moving traffic restrictions mentioned in the Road Traffic Act 1984 and the Traffic Management Act 2004.

A penalty charge notice can be handed to you by a Civil Enforcement Officer or dispatched to your (DVLA) residential address by post. Traffic contraventions are observed by CCTV cameras and Civil Enforcement Officers before a violation is detected and the vehicle is charged with a PCN.

A PCN might also be issued for failing to pay road charges on time. You have 28 days to decide how and if you would like to challenge your Penalty Charge Notice. After 28 days if you have neither paid nor challenged your PCN, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

If you don’t challenge a PCN, you should pay the fine within 28 days, otherwise, its amount will increase by 50%. A £70 PCN will be worth £105 if you pay it in the 14 days after receiving your charge certificate.

What is the procedure for appealing against a Woking PCN?

You can submit a formal representation to your Woking PCN by writing a letter addressed to the Woking Borough Council or by filling in the online formal representation form on the official website.

You need to brainstorm reasons to challenge your Woking PCN from the day of the incident and list them down in word processing software or on paper. It is essential to have some authentic evidence to attach with your PCN appeal in the form of video footage of the traffic violation, medical certificates explaining your mitigating circumstances, or pay and display tickets. 

The evidence must be matched with the grounds for your appeal before describing the incident from your point of view. Your rough formal representation can be edited for clarity multiple times before it is ready to attach to your online appeal to the Woking Borough Council. You need to visit the Woking Borough Council website to submit a formal representation to your PCN. You have to open this webpage to enter your PCN number and your Contravention Code Number (mentioned on your Penalty Charge Notice). You need to click on “Submit”  to view your PCN details before filling in the online appeals form.

It is essential to upload authentic evidence material with your PCN challenge to describe your mitigating circumstances to the Woking Borough Council and for explaining your point of view of the events which took place at the traffic violation scene. If you made a video clip of your traffic contravention, you should save snapshots from it by using a video player or video editing software. Most video players such as VLC player allow you to slow down your video frame by frame and thus take ( a collection of) snapshots to attach with your Woking PCN challenge.The text of your appeal must state the relevant contravention code on your PCN and explain how you attempted to avoid the error (supported by photos or video footage).

Once you have proofread your appeal to eliminate any reasons for your challenge which might convey a disregard for traffic contravention codes enforced in Woking Borough Council (by mixing up the contraventions) or reasons which involve forgetfulness to justify your actions, you can submit the formal representation.

Another way to send in your Woking PCN challenge is by mail. You can write down a formal representation on paper and attach evidence documents or photographs to the form using a stapler or paper clip. Your letter should mention your PCN number, date of issue of the PCN, your vehicle registration number, and personal details. 

Evidence to support your formal representation can be attached to the form using a stapler or paper clip. Your PCN appeals form and all accompanying evidence documents (enclosed in an envelope) need to be sent to:

Parking Enforcement Services,

Woking Borough Council,

Civic Offices,

Gloucester Square,

Woking GU21 6YL

How much is the PCN fine for each of the 3 kinds of PCNs served in Woking Borough Council?

A Parking PCN in Woking Borough Council is served for violating higher or lower level parking restrictions. You have to pay £70 for committing a higher level parking contravention and £50 for a lower level parking contravention. If you pay the parking fine within 14 days, you will just be paying £35 or £25 as a 50% discount is applicable to your payment.

For failing to comply with a bus lane contravention code or a moving traffic restriction in Woking Borough Council, you will be charged a £70 Penalty Charge Notice. The 50% early payment discount reduces both these types of PCN fines to £35 if a bus lane PCN is paid within 21 days and a moving traffic PCN is paid within 14 days

How Can I Pay my Woking PCN fine?

You can pay your Woking PCN on the online payments page, by sending a check or postal order through the mail or by calling the Woking Council’s automated payments hotline.

If you choose to make your PCN fine payment online, you should visit the Woking Borough Council website. On the Woking Borough Council online payments service you can enter your PCN number (Reference) to initiate your PCN fine payment. In the next step of paying your PCN, you need to enter your payment card details to complete the online payment process. Woking Borough Council accepts Visa, Mastercard, Maestro Card and Electron Card for PCN payments.

You might want to call on Woking Borough Council’s automated payments hotline.  For this you have to call on 01483 755 855. In the first menu, you have to select option 1 (to make a payment), in the second menu, you have to select option 6. On the call you will need to enter your PCN number and your payment card details. You can use the * key to enter the letters in your PCN number. This payment hotline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You should wait to receive a confirmation code for your PCN payment before ending the call.

You can also pay your Woking PCN by sending a check or postal order payable to “Woking Borough Council”. You also need to attach the payment slip in your “Notice To Owner” document to this payment. The check or postal order should have your PCN number and Vehicle Registration Number written at the back. This payment needs to be sent to:

Parking Enforcement Services,

Woking Borough Council,

Civic Offices,

Gloucester Square,

Woking GU21 6YL

What will happen if I don’t pay my Woking PCN within the 28-day limit?

You should not ignore traffic contraventions or the Penalty Charge Notices resulting from them or cultivate a careless attitude towards driving in Woking Borough Council. As per your driving license rules, you are bound to abide by Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic contravention codes in Woking Borough Council.

If you neither pay your Woking PCN within 28 days nor decide to appeal against it, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The charge certificate increases your PCN fine by 50%, which means you will be paying £105 (or £75) now. You should pay the charge certificate within 14 days as it cannot be appealed and ignoring the charge certificate may result in the filing of a court order (for recovery of debts) against you by the Woking Borough Council.

You will be sent a “Notice of Debt Registration” and a witness certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if you don’t pay the charge certificate amount within 14 days. The unpaid amount will be treated as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the Northampton County Court.

The court order for debt recovery enforces that the charge certificate amount must be paid in full within 21 days the county court will have to use additional powers to recover the money from your possession which means employing Enforcement Agents to (contact you or) visit your personal premises.

Can I Dispute A Woking PCN with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if the Woking Borough Council dismisses my appeal?

Yes, you can dispute the decision of the Woking Borough Council in your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The Traffic Penalty Tribunal website requires you to enter details given on your Notice of Rejection of Representations, after opening this webpage

You can watch this instructional video here to learn about your challenge process. The video clearly explains how to use the online service offered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. On the Traffic Penalty Tribunal webpage, you will first have to select the type of PCN you were served by the Woking Borough Council (shown on the bottom part of the page).

After clicking on your specific type of Penalty Charge Notice, you should select “England” (Outside London). In the window which opens up, you should click on the orange box which reads “If you don’t agree with the PCN, you can make representations against it”.

After viewing the instructions on the following page, you need to click on “Start your appeal here” at the bottom of the webpage You will then be required to enter your Vehicle Registration Number, the reference number from the “Notice of Rejection” letter from the Woking Borough Council, and your PCN number for which the appeal was rejected on this page.

You can use the online service to challenge multiple “Notices of Rejection” simultaneously. You will require a valid email address to create an account on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You have to upload a copy of your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” letter to your application by using the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s online portal.

You can upload evidence such as video clips of your traffic violation scenes (taken from inside your vehicle), medical certificates from a certified General Practitioner, maps of the area showing the exact distance your vehicle travelled inside a no-entry zone, and scanned copies of “pay and display” tickets. You should construct a strong appeals case to communicate your mitigating circumstances or to deliver your assertion that the traffic violation never occurred.

The Traffic Penalty Tribunal should be able to ascertain the legitimacy of your situation by viewing evidence material uploaded to the PCN appeals system.

Your appeal of the “Notice of Rejection of Representations” should be submitted to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal within 28 days of receiving your Notification of Rejection from the Woking Borough Council. You must avail yourself of this chance of a free and independent hearing of your case. 

You will be able to contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator during the formulation of your appeal. The result of your appeal will be communicated to you within 14-28 days of submitting your representation. If the adjudicator decides the case in your favour, the PCN will be cancelled by the Woking Borough Council.


This blog post addressed the question “How Can I Challenge A Woking PCN?” You can challenge your PCN by mentioning that the traffic contravention never occurred, which requires evidence in the form of photographs taken at the scene or a video of the traffic violation which clearly disproves the evidence provided by the Woking Borough Council. All reasons for a PCN challenge must be supported with material evidence otherwise they will not be entertained.