This blog serves to answer the question “How Can I Challenge A Skelmersdale PCN?” Your Skelmersdale PCN challenge should either convince the West Lancashire Borough Council that the contravention never occurred or that it occurred as a result of unforeseen mitigating circumstances which affected your driving abilities. It is necessary for you to collect and preserve evidence relating to a potential Penalty Charge Notice by recording daily video footage of your road trips and by saving your used parking permits.

How Can I Challenge A Skelmersdale PCN?

Skelmersdale Town is a part of West Lancashire Borough Council, which is the administrative division responsible for enforcing Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic contraventions in the Skelmersdale Town Council. Your Skelmersdale Town PCN is actually a West Lancashire Borough Council PCN and the Lancashire County Council deals with your PCN appeals submitted online and by mail.

You can send in a Parking, Bus Lane or Moving Traffic PCN challenge by visiting the Lancashire County Council website or by writing a written formal representation and sending it on the Lancashire Parking Services address. The method of sending in your appeal does not make much of a difference as you will end up writing the same sentences as the grounds for your challenge in both these cases and will only be able to attach any evidence material you have ready with you.

The quality of the text of your Skelmersdale PCN appeal is what matters most, as well as the relevance and authenticity of evidence material uploaded with your PCN challenge. You can ensure that you have the right kind of evidence to support your case by preserving used pay and display tickets, paid PCN fines, any medical reports about your health conditions and video recordings of your road journeys in Skelmersdale Town Council. 

The video footage of your vehicle’s movement through areas with moving traffic and bus lane restrictions in place is the most important piece of evidence to collect beforehand. Other evidence documents can be easily recovered from your possession and uploaded onto your computer within a day or two. So unless you designate another person travelling regularly with you to film these video clips or remember to use the assistance of a passenger in your vehicle for creating these recordings, you will not have any proof to suggest that a traffic contravention never occurred. 

You might recall the scene where your PCN was issued and feel sure of not breaching a no entry zone or be confident of not failing to comply with a (left or right ) direction turn traffic sign but you will still have to end up paying the PCN if you cannot provide any evidence to back your assertion.

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a monetary penalty issued to drivers or motorists for committing certain traffic contraventions including violating Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic restrictions. A PCN is issued for failing to follow Parking zone, bus lane enforcement, and moving traffic restrictions mentioned in the Road Traffic Act 1984 and the Traffic Management Act 2004.

A penalty charge notice can be handed to you by a Civil Enforcement Officer or dispatched to your (DVLA) residential address by post. Traffic contraventions are observed by CCTV cameras and Civil Enforcement Officers before a violation is detected and the vehicle is charged with a PCN.

A PCN might also be issued for failing to pay road charges on time. You have 28 days to decide how and if you would like to challenge your Penalty Charge Notice. After 28 days if you have neither paid nor challenged your PCN, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

If you don’t challenge a PCN, you should pay the fine within 28 days, otherwise, its amount will increase by 50%. A £70 PCN will be worth £105 if you pay it in the 14 days after receiving your charge certificate.

What is the procedure for appealing against a Skelmersdale PCN?

Skelmersdale Town is a part of West Lancashire Borough Council, which is the administrative division responsible for enforcing Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic contraventions in the Skelmersdale Town Council. The CCTV cameras and Civil Enforcement Officers of the West Lancashire Borough Council observe the parking zones, streets, and roads of Skelmersdale Town Council for catching any breach of contravention codes enforced in the council. 

So you have to challenge a Penalty Charge Notice handed to you in Skelmersdale Town Council by filling in the online formal representation form on the Lancashire County Council website or by writing down your PCN challenge on the printable formal representation form and by mailing it to the Lancashire County Council’s Parking Services address. The West Lancashire Borough Council will decide the result of your PCN appeal and either cancel your Penalty Charge Notice or send you a Notice of Rejection. 

You need to brainstorm reasons for challenging a Skelmersdale PCN from the day of the incident and list them down in word processing software or on paper. It is essential to have some authentic evidence to attach with your PCN appeal in the form of video footage of the traffic violation, medical certificates explaining your mitigating circumstances, or pay and display tickets. 

The evidence must be matched with the grounds for your appeal before describing the incident from your point of view. Your rough formal representation can be edited for clarity multiple times before it is ready to attach to your online appeal to the West Lancashire Borough Council. You need to visit the Lancashire County Council website to submit a formal representation to your PCN. You have to open this webpage to enter your PCN number and your Vehicle Registration Number. You need to click on “Search PCN”  to view your PCN details before filling in the online appeals form.

It is essential to upload authentic evidence material with your PCN challenge to describe your mitigating circumstances to the West Lancashire Borough Council and for explaining your point of view of the events which took place at the traffic violation scene. If you made a video clip of your traffic contravention, you should save snapshots from it by using a video player or video editing software. 

Most video players such as VLC player allow you to slow down your video frame by frame and thus take ( a collection of) snapshots to attach with your Skelmersdale PCN challenge.The text of your appeal must state the relevant contravention code on your PCN and explain how you attempted to avoid the error (supported by photos or video footage).

Once you have proofread your appeal to eliminate any reasons for your challenge which might convey a disregard for traffic contravention codes enforced in the West Lancashire Borough Council (by mixing up the contraventions) or reasons which involve forgetfulness to justify your actions, you can submit the formal representation.

Another way to send in your Skelmersdale PCN challenge is by mail. You can write down a formal representation on the Penalty Charge Notice challenge form. This form needs to be  downloaded and printed out first. On the form you need to mention your name, Vehicle Registration Number, Penalty Charge Notice Number, the Date of Issue of the PCN and your complete postal address.

Evidence to support your formal representation can be attached to the form using a stapler or paper clip. Your PCN appeals form and all accompanying evidence documents (enclosed in an envelope) need to be sent to:

Lancashire Parking Services,

PO Box 1023,




How much is the PCN fine for each of the 3 kinds of PCNs served in Skelmersdale Town Council?

A Parking PCN in Skelmersdale Town Council is served for violating higher or lower level parking restrictions. You have to pay £70 for committing a higher level parking contravention and £50 for a lower level parking contravention. If you pay the parking fine within 14 days, you will just be paying £35 or £25 as a 50% discount is applicable to your payment.

For failing to comply with a bus lane contravention code or a moving traffic restriction in Skelmersdale Town Council, you will be charged a £70 Penalty Charge Notice. The 50% early payment discount reduces both these types of PCN fines to £35 if a bus lane PCN is paid within 21 days and a moving traffic PCN is paid within 14 days

How Can I Pay my Skelmersdale PCN fine?

You can pay a Skelmersdale PCN on the Lancashire County Council’s online payments page or by calling on the Lancashire County Council’s automated payments hotline.

If you prefer to make your PCN fine payment online, you can visit the Lancashire County Council website.  After opening this webpage you need to enter your PCN Number and your Vehicle Registration Number and click on “Search PCN”.

For paying your PCN you will be asked for your payment card details. The Lancashire County Council accepts Mastercard, Visa Card, Maestro Card, Delta Card, Solo Card and Visa Electron card for PCN fine payments. Diners card and American Express card are not accepted for making PCN payments. Once you have entered the credit or debit card information you can proceed to paying your fine. It must be noted that paying your Skelmersdale PCN eliminates any possibility for challenging the Penalty Charge Notice.

Your Skelmersdale PCN can also be paid by calling on the Lancashire County Council’s telephone payments service. You have to dial 0300 600 0010 and enter your PCN number by using a * sign for the letters in the code. After this you will have to enter your payment card details. This automated payments service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You should wait to receive a confirmation code before ending your call.

What will happen if I don’t pay my Skelmersdale PCN within the 28-day limit?

You should not ignore traffic contraventions or the Penalty Charge Notices resulting from them or cultivate a careless attitude towards driving in Skelmersdale Town Council. Per your driving license rules, you are bound to abide by Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic contravention codes in Skelmersdale Town Council.

If you neither pay your Skelmersdale PCN within 28 days nor decide to appeal against it, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The charge certificate increases your PCN fine by 50%, which means you will be paying £105 (or £75) now. You should pay the charge certificate within 14 days as it cannot be appealed. Ignoring the charge certificate may result in the filing of a court order (for recovery of debts) against you by the West Lancashire Borough Council.

You will be sent a “Notice of Debt Registration” and a witness certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if you don’t pay the charge certificate amount within 14 days. The unpaid amount will be treated as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the Northampton County Court.

The court order for debt recovery enforces that the charge certificate amount must be paid in full within 21 days the county court will have to use additional powers to recover the money from your possession which means employing Enforcement Agents to (contact you or) visit your personal premises.

Can I Dispute A Skelmersdale PCN with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if the West Lancashire Borough Council dismisses my appeal?

Yes, you can dispute the decision of the West Lancashire Borough Council in your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The Traffic Penalty Tribunal website requires you to enter details given on your Notice of Rejection of Representations, after opening this webpage

You can watch this instructional video here to learn about your challenge process. The video clearly explains how to use the online service offered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. On the Traffic Penalty Tribunal webpage, you will first have to select the type of PCN you were served by the West Lancashire Borough Council (shown on the bottom part of the page).

After clicking on your specific type of Penalty Charge Notice, you should select “England” (Outside London). In the window which opens up, you should click on the orange box which reads “If you don’t agree with the PCN, you can make representations against it”.

After viewing the instructions on the following page, you need to click on “Start your appeal here” at the bottom of the webpage You will then be required to enter your Vehicle Registration Number, the reference number from the “Notice of Rejection” letter from the West Lancashire Borough Council, and your PCN number for which the appeal was rejected on this page.

You can use the online service to challenge multiple “Notices of Rejection” simultaneously. You will require a valid email address to create an account on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You have to upload a copy of your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” letter to your application by using the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s online portal.

You can upload evidence such as video clips of your traffic violation scenes (taken from inside your vehicle), medical certificates from a certified General Practitioner, maps of the area showing the exact distance your vehicle travelled inside a no-entry zone, and scanned copies of “pay and display” tickets. You should construct a strong appeals case to communicate your mitigating circumstances or to deliver your assertion that the traffic violation never occurred.

The Traffic Penalty Tribunal should be able to ascertain the legitimacy of your situation by viewing evidence material uploaded to the PCN appeals system.

Your appeal of the “Notice of Rejection of Representations” should be submitted to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal within 28 days of receiving your Notification of Rejection from the West Lancashire Borough Council. You must avail yourself of this chance of a free and independent hearing of your case. 

You will be able to contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator during the formulation of your appeal. The result of your appeal will be communicated to you within 14-28 days of submitting your representation. If the adjudicator decides the case in your favour, the PCN will be cancelled by the West Lancashire Borough Council.


This blog post addressed the question “How Can I Challenge A Skelmsersdale PCN?” You have to prepare in advance for being handed a PCN and having to challenge it with the council by preserving evidence relating to your parking permits and by recording videos of your road trips. If the West Lancashire Borough Council rejects your appeal, you can dispute your Notice of Rejection from the council with the expert adjudicators at the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?