How Can I Challenge A Shrewsbury PCN?

This blog serves to answer the question “How Can I Challenge A Shrewsbury PCN?” You have to collect evidence relating to your driving actions in Shrewsbury Town Council by recording video clips of your road journeys. Your PCN challenge should only mention events and actions that can be supported by authentic evidence material.

How Can I Challenge A Shrewsbury PCN?

You can challenge a Shrewsbury PCN by logging into the Shropshire council website by using your Vehicle Registration Number and PCN Number or by writing a PCN challenge to the Shropshire parking service address.

Your Shrewsbury PCN challenge will be different each time, depending on whether you have been given a bus lane PCN, Parking PCN or Moving Traffic PCN. Once you consider the contravention code on your Moving Traffic PCN you can move on to composing the text of your PCN challenge.

For instance if this contravention code is code 50, which is handed for breaching a no left turn or no right turn sign you need to prove that the traffic violation never happened. For this purpose you need to use a video clip of your vehicle moving in the correct direction, and avoiding the banned turn.

Your Shrewsbury PCN challenge is essentially incomplete without this kind of clear evidence that shows how the traffic restriction was never breached (and in essence refutes the evidence put forward by the Shropshire Council. Another important thing to remember for these kind of PCNs is that you must be well focused on avoiding the breach of a moving traffic contravention at all times so that you don’t get a PCN which is unchallengeable.

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a monetary penalty issued to drivers or motorists for committing certain traffic contraventions including violating Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic restrictions. A PCN is issued for failing to follow Parking zone, bus lane enforcement, and moving traffic restrictions mentioned in the Road Traffic Act 1984 and the Traffic Management Act 2004.

A penalty charge notice can be handed to you by a Civil Enforcement Officer or dispatched to your (DVLA) residential address by post. Traffic contraventions are observed by CCTV cameras and Civil Enforcement Officers before a violation is detected and the vehicle is charged with a PCN.

A PCN might also be issued for failing to pay road charges on time. You have 28 days to decide how and if you would like to challenge your Penalty Charge Notice. After 28 days if you have neither paid nor challenged your PCN, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

If you don’t challenge a PCN, you should pay the fine within 28 days, otherwise, its amount will increase by 50%. A £70 PCN will be worth £105 if you pay it in the 14 days after receiving your charge certificate.

What is the procedure for appealing against a Shrewsbury PCN?

You can submit a formal representation to your Shrewsbury PCN by writing a letter addressed to the Shropshire Council or by filling in the online formal representation form on the website..

You need to brainstorm reasons to challenge a Shrewsbury PCN from the day of the incident and list them down in word processing software or on paper. It is essential to have some authentic evidence to attach with your PCN appeal in the form of video footage of the traffic violation, medical certificates explaining your mitigating circumstances, or pay and display tickets. 

The evidence must be matched with the grounds for your appeal before describing the incident from your point of view. Your rough formal representation can be edited for clarity multiple times before it is ready to attach to your online appeal to Shropshire Council. You need to visit the Shropshire Council website to submit a formal representation to your PCN. You have to open this webpage for entering your PCN number, Vehicle Registration Number, and a Web Code mentioned on your Penalty Charge Notice. You need to click on “Continue”  to view your PCN details before filling in the online appeals form.

It is essential to upload authentic evidence material with your PCN challenge to describe your mitigating circumstances to the Shropshire Council and for explaining your point of view of the events which took place at the traffic violation scene. The text of your appeal must state the relevant contravention code on your PCN and explain how you attempted to avoid the error (supported by photos or video footage).

Once you have proofread your appeal to eliminate any reasons for your challenge which might convey a disregard for traffic contravention codes enforced in Shropshire Council (by mixing up the contraventions) or reasons which involve forgetfulness to justify your actions, you can submit the formal representation.

You can also submit an informal representation to your Shrewsbury PCN (CCTV Bus Lane PCN or a Parking PCN served by a CEO which had to be delivered by post) by accessing your PCN details here. To access the form you need to enter your PCN number and vehicle registration number on this page.

You have to fill out the informal representation form by typing your full name, email address, and the contents of your informal representation. Once you are sure that you have constructed a strong appeals case to make the council grant you a formal representation, you can submit your form. The informal appeals stage is applicable to PCNs sent by post.

Another way to send in your Shrewsbury PCN challenge is by mail. You can write down a formal representation on paper and attach evidence documents or photographs to the form using a stapler or paper clip. Your letter should mention your PCN number, date of issue of the PCN, your vehicle registration number, and personal details. 

Evidence to support your formal representation can be attached to the form using a stapler or paper clip. Your PCN appeals form and all accompanying evidence documents (enclosed in an envelope) need to be sent to:

Shropshire Parking Service,

PO Box 4751,



How much is the PCN fine for each of the 3 kinds of PCNs served in Shrewsbury Town Council?

A Parking PCN in Shrewsbury Town Council is served for violating higher or lower level parking restrictions. You have to pay £70 for committing a higher level parking contravention and £50 for a lower level parking contravention. If you pay the parking fine within 14 days, you will just be paying £35 or £25 as a 50% discount is applicable to your payment.

For failing to comply with a bus lane contravention code or a moving traffic restriction in Shrewsbury Town Council, you will be charged a £70 Penalty Charge Notice. The 50% early payment discount reduces both these types of PCN fines to £35 if a bus lane PCN is paid within 21 days and a moving traffic PCN is paid within 14 days.

How Can I Pay My Shrewsbury PCN?

You can pay a PCN in Shropshire Council on the online payments page or by calling on the Shropshire Council automated payments hotline.

If you prefer to make your PCN fine payment online, you can visit the Shropshire Council website. After opening this webpage you need to click on “Pay Online Now”. On the PCN Payments page, you need to enter your PCN number (Reference) and the amount of your PCN fine.

After this you can click on “Add to list”. You also have to select the payment card which you are using to pay your PCN. The Shropshire Council accepts Mastercard, Visa Card, Maestro Card and Visa Electron card for PCN fine payments. Diners card and American Express card are not accepted for making PCN payments. 

For paying your PCN you will be asked for your payment card details. Once you have entered the credit or debit card information you can proceed to paying your fine. It must be noted that paying your Shropshire PCN eliminates any possibility for challenging the Penalty Charge Notice.

Your Shropshire PCN can also be paid by calling on the telephone payments service. You have to dial 0345 678 9009 and enter your PCN number by using a * sign for the letters in the code. After this you will have to enter your payment card details. This automated payments service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You should wait to receive a confirmation code before ending your call.

What will happen if I don’t pay my Shrewsbury PCN within the 28-day limit?

You should not ignore traffic contraventions or the Penalty Charge Notices resulting from them or cultivate a careless attitude towards driving in Shrewsbury Town Council. As per your driving license rules, you are bound to abide by Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic contravention codes in Shropshire Council.

If you neither pay your Shrewsbury PCN within 28 days nor decide to appeal against it, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The charge certificate increases your PCN fine by 50%, which means you will be paying £105 (or £75) now. You should pay the charge certificate within 14 days as it cannot be appealed and ignoring the charge certificate may result in the filing of a court order (for recovery of debts) against you by the Shropshire Council.

You will be sent a “Notice of Debt Registration” and a witness certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if you don’t pay the charge certificate amount within 14 days. The unpaid amount will be treated as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the Northampton County Court.

The court order for debt recovery enforces that the charge certificate amount must be paid in full within 21 days the county court will have to use additional powers to recover the money from your possession which means employing Enforcement Agents to (contact you or) visit your personal premises.

Can I Dispute A Shrewsbury PCN with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if the Shropshire Council dismisses my appeal?

Yes, you can dispute the decision of the Shropshire Council in your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The Traffic Penalty Tribunal website requires you to enter details given on your Notice of Rejection of Representations, after opening this webpage

You can watch this instructional video here to learn about your challenge process. The video clearly explains how to use the online service offered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. On the Traffic Penalty Tribunal webpage, you will first have to select the type of PCN you were served by the Shropshire Council (shown on the bottom part of the page).

After clicking on your specific type of Penalty Charge Notice, you should select “England” (Outside London). In the window which opens up, you should click on the orange box which reads “If you don’t agree with the PCN, you can make representations against it”.

After viewing the instructions on the following page, you need to click on “Start your appeal here” at the bottom of the webpage You will then be required to enter your Vehicle Registration Number, the reference number from the “Notice of Rejection” letter from the Shropshire Council, and your PCN number for which the appeal was rejected on this page.

You can use the online service to challenge multiple “Notices of Rejection” simultaneously. You will require a valid email address to create an account on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You have to upload a copy of your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” letter to your application by using the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s online portal.

You can upload evidence such as video clips of your traffic violation scenes (taken from inside your vehicle), medical certificates from a certified General Practitioner, maps of the area showing the exact distance your vehicle travelled inside a no-entry zone, and scanned copies of “pay and display” tickets. You should construct a strong appeals case to communicate your mitigating circumstances or to deliver your assertion that the traffic violation never occurred.

The Traffic Penalty Tribunal should be able to ascertain the legitimacy of your situation by viewing evidence material uploaded to the PCN appeals system.

Your appeal of the “Notice of Rejection of Representations” should be submitted to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal within 28 days of receiving your Notification of Rejection from the Shropshire Council. You must avail yourself of this chance of a free and independent hearing of your case. 

You will be able to contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator during the formulation of your appeal. The result of your appeal will be communicated to you within 14-28 days of submitting your representation. If the adjudicator decides the case in your favour, the PCN will be cancelled by the Shropshire Council.


This blog post addressed the question “How Can I Challenge A Shrewsbury PCN?” You should practice challenging a Shrewsbury PCN to be aware of the kind of evidence you would need with your appeal and for knowing the acceptable reasons to be mentioned in your formal representation. Your PCN challenge can be focused on explaining that the traffic contravention never happened or on mentioning your mitigating circumstances that led you to breach the enforced restriction.