How Can I Challenge A Round Island PCN?

This blog serves to answer the question “How Can I Challenge A Round Island PCN?”  You can challenge a Round Island PCN by mentioning that the traffic contravention didn’t occur and attaching a video clip showing how what you are saying is true. This evidence is readily going to be available with you if you make it a habit of filming your road journeys in Dorset Council.

How Can I Challenge A Round Island PCN?

You can challenge a Round Island PCN by visiting the Dorset council website and filling in the formal representation form which can be accessed by entering your PCN Number and Vehicle Registration Number.

Round Island is a part of Dorset Council and the Dorset Council is responsible for serving and dealing with PCNs in and around the Round Island region. The Dorset Council will also decide the result of your Round Island PCN challenge and will either choose to withdraw your PCN or to send you a Notice of Rejection of Representations.

You have to submit your Round Island PCN challenge online, so you must have your evidence available in video or photographic form (or a pdf document ) which can be readily uploaded onto the Dorset Council’s online system. This is essential for you to avoid delays or problems with challenging your PCN with the council, and to get your message in the most straightforward and direct manner possible.

As you will keep video clips of your daily road trips on your computer, this will become a habit that will one day lead you to extract one of these clips for challenging a PCN and for using this data for profitable use. You will see that you have done the right thing by recording these daily video clips of your road journeys in Dorset Council.

Your road trips in Dorset Council need to be available on a series of photographs or in a video clip for use as evidence for challenging a PCN and showing that the traffic violation never happened.

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a monetary penalty issued to drivers or motorists for committing certain traffic contraventions including violating Parking, Bus Lane and Moving Traffic restrictions. A PCN is issued for failing to follow Parking zone, bus lane enforcement and moving traffic restrictions mentioned in the Road Traffic Act 1984 and the Traffic Management Act 2004.

A penalty charge notice can be handed to you by a Civil Enforcement Officer or dispatched to your (DVLA) residential address by post. CCTV cameras and Civil Enforcement Officers observe traffic contraventions before a violation is detected and the vehicle is charged with a PCN.

A PCN might also be issued for failing to pay road charges on time. You have 28 days to decide how and if you would like to challenge your Penalty Charge Notice. After 28 days if you have neither paid nor challenged your PCN, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

If you don’t challenge a PCN, you should pay the fine within 28 days, otherwise, its amount will increase by 50%. A £70 PCN will be worth £105 if you pay it in the 14 days after receiving your charge certificate.

Can I Only Challenge My Round Island PCN on the Council Website?

Yes ,you can only submit a formal representation to your Round Island PCN by filling in the online formal representation form on the Dorset Council’s official website.

You need to brainstorm reasons for challenging a Round Island PCN from the day of the incident and list them down in word processing software or on paper. It is essential to have some authentic evidence to attach with your PCN appeal in the form of video footage of the traffic violation, medical certificates explaining your mitigating circumstances, or pay and display tickets. 

The evidence must be matched with the grounds for your appeal before describing the incident from your point of view. Your rough formal representation can be edited for clarity multiple times before it is ready to attach to your online appeal to the Dorset Council. You need to visit the Dorset Council website to submit a formal representation to your PCN. You have to open this webpage to enter your PCN number,your Vehicle Registration Number and a Web Code mentioned on your Penalty Charge Notice. You need to click on “Continue”  to view your PCN details before filling in the online appeals form.

It is essential to upload authentic evidence material with your PCN challenge to describe your mitigating circumstances to the Dorset Council and for explaining your point of view of the events which took place at the traffic violation scene.  If you made a video clip of your traffic contravention, you should save snapshots from it by using a video player or video editing software. 

Most video players such as VLC player allow you to slow down your video frame by frame and thus take ( a collection of) snapshots to attach with your Round Island PCN challenge.The text of your appeal must state the relevant contravention code on your PCN and explain how you attempted to avoid the error (supported by photos or video footage).

Once you have proofread your appeal to eliminate any reasons for your challenge which might convey a disregard for traffic contravention codes enforced in the Dorset Council (by mixing up the contraventions) or reasons which involve forgetfulness to justify your actions, you can submit the formal representation.

How Can I Pay my Round Island PCN fine?

You can pay your Round Island PCN fine on the Dorset Council’s Parking PCN payments page or by calling Dorset Council’s automated payments hotline. 

If you choose to make your PCN fine payment online, you should visit the Dorset council website. After opening this webpage you can enter your PCN number and Vehicle Registration number. You need to click on “Search” to search for your PCN details in the Dorset Council’s online database. After selecting to pay your PCN, you will need to enter your payment card details. The Dorset Council accepts Mastercard, Visa Card, Maestro Card and Visa Electron card for PCN fine payments.

You can also call on Dorset Council’s automated payments hotline for paying your Round Island PCN. To pay by this method, you have to call on 0300 7900 545. On the call, you will need to enter your PCN number and your payment card details. You can use the * key to enter the letters in your PCN number. This payment hotline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You should wait to receive a confirmation code for your PCN payment before ending the call.

How much is the PCN fine for each of the 3 kinds of PCNs served in the Dorset Council?

A Parking PCN in Dorset Council is served for violating higher or lower level parking restrictions. You have to pay £70 for committing a higher level parking contravention and £50 for a lower level parking contravention. If you pay the parking fine within 14 days, you will just be paying £35 or £25 as a 50% discount is applicable to your payment.

For failing to comply with a bus lane contravention code or a moving traffic restriction in Dorset Council, you will be charged a £70 Penalty Charge Notice. The 50% early payment discount reduces both these types of PCN fines to £35 if a bus lane PCN is paid within 21 days and a moving traffic PCN is paid within 14 days

What will happen if I don’t pay my Round Island PCN within the 28-day limit?

You should not ignore traffic contraventions or the Penalty Charge Notices resulting from them or cultivate a careless attitude towards driving in Dorset Council. As per your driving license rules, you are bound to abide by Parking, Bus Lane and Moving Traffic contravention codes in Dorset Council.

If you neither pay your Round Island PCN within 28 days nor decide to appeal against it, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The charge certificate increases your PCN fine by 50%, which means you will be paying £105 (or £75) now. You should pay the charge certificate within 14 days as it cannot be appealed and ignoring the charge certificate may result in the filing of a court order (for recovery of debts) against you by Dorset Council.

You will be sent a “Notice of Debt Registration” and a witness certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal, if you don’t pay the charge certificate amount within 14 days. The unpaid amount will be treated as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the Northampton County Court.

The court order for debt recovery enforces that the charge certificate amount must be paid in full within 21 days or the county court will have to use additional powers to recover the money from your possession which means employing Enforcement Agents to (contact you or) visit your personal premises.

Can I Dispute A Round Island PCN with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if the Dorset Council dismisses my appeal?

Yes, you can dispute the decision of the Dorset Council in your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The Traffic Penalty Tribunal website requires you to enter details given on your Notice of Rejection of Representations, after opening this webpage

You can watch this instructional video here to learn about your challenge process. The video clearly explains how to use the online service offered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. On the Traffic Penalty Tribunal webpage, you will first have to select the type of PCN you were served by the Dorset Council (shown on the bottom part of the page) .

After clicking on your specific type of Penalty Charge Notice, you should select “England” (Outside London). In the window which opens up, you should click on the orange box which reads “If you don’t agree with the PCN, you can make representations against it” .

After viewing the instructions on the following page, you need to click on “Start your appeal here” at the bottom of the webpage You will then be required to enter your Vehicle Registration Number, the reference number from the “Notice of Rejection” letter from the Dorset Council, and your PCN number for which the appeal was rejected on this page.

You can use the online service to challenge multiple “Notices of Rejection” simultaneously. You will require a valid email address to create an account on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You have to upload a copy of your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” letter to your application by using the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s online portal.

You can upload evidence such as video clips of your traffic violation scenes (taken from inside your vehicle), medical certificates from a certified General Practitioner, maps of the area showing the exact distance your vehicle travelled inside a no entry zone and scanned copies of “pay and display” tickets. You should construct a strong appeals case to communicate your mitigating circumstances or to deliver your assertion that the traffic violation never occurred.

The Traffic Penalty Tribunal should be able to ascertain the legitimacy of your situation by viewing evidence material uploaded to the PCN appeals system.

Your appeal of the “Notice of Rejection of Representations” should be submitted to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal within 28 days of receiving your Notification of Rejection from Dorset Council. You must avail this chance of a free and independent hearing of your case. 

You will be able to contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator during the formulation of your appeal. The result of your appeal will be communicated to you within 14-28 days of submitting your representation. If the adjudicator decides the case in your favour, the PCN will be cancelled by the Dorset Council.


This blog post addressed the question “How Can I Challenge A Round Island PCN?” You must ensure that you have the evidence to support your case with you available as a video clip or digital photograph (or a pdf document) in order to attach it with your PCN challenge online. The appeal you submit to the Dorset council will be reviewed based on its merits and the proof that you have attached will be actively considered 

Dorset County