This blog serves to answer the question “How Can I Challenge A Moreton and Meols PCN?” A PCN challenge which aims to prove that the traffic contravention did not occur, must contain photographs or video footage relating to the incident. This blog contains detailed instructions on how you can recover your impounded vehicle from the custody of the Merseyside Police.

How Can I Challenge A Moreton and Meols PCN?

The Towns of Moreton and Meols are both part of Wirral Council, which is the administrative division responsible for enforcing Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic contraventions in the two town Councils. The CCTV cameras and Civil Enforcement Officers of the Wirral Council observe the parking zones, streets, and roads of the Moreton and Meols Town Councils for catching any breach of contravention codes enforced in the council. 

.The Wirral Council will decide the result of your PCN appeal and either cancel your Penalty Charge Notice or send you a Notice of Rejection. Your grounds for appealing a Moreton and Meols PCN must not include excuses such as not being aware of the traffic contraventions in place at a certain parking zone, bus lane or road junction. Any reasons for your PCN challenge which may indicate forgetfullness on your part also need to be eliminated by staying focused on the route you have to take and by memorising the contravention codes enforced at different locations (as your vision may miss out a traffic sign). Forgetfulness and carelessness both convey a disregard for traffic restrictions enforced in the Moreton and Meols Town Councils.

It is essential for you to compile a strong appeals case before sending in your challenge so as to avoid being served a “Notice of Rejection of Representations” from the Wirral Council, which means the council has denied your PCN appeal.

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a monetary penalty issued to drivers or motorists for committing certain traffic contraventions including violating Parking, Bus Lane and Moving Traffic restrictions. A PCN is issued for failing to follow Parking zone, bus lane enforcement and moving traffic restrictions mentioned in the Road Traffic Act 1984 and the Traffic Management Act 2004.

A penalty charge notice can be handed to you by a Civil Enforcement Officer or dispatched to your (DVLA) residential address by post. CCTV cameras and Civil Enforcement Officers observe traffic contraventions before a violation is detected and the vehicle is charged with a PCN.

A PCN might also be issued for failing to pay road charges on time. You have 28 days to decide how and if you would like to challenge your Penalty Charge Notice. After 28 days if you have neither paid nor challenged your PCN, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

If you don’t challenge a PCN, you should pay the fine within 28 days, otherwise, its amount will increase by 50%. A £70 PCN will be worth £105 if you pay it in the 14 days after receiving your charge certificate.

What is the procedure for appealing against a Moreton and Meols PCN?

You can submit a formal representation to your Moreton and Meols PCN by writing a letter addressed to the Wirral Council or by filling in the online formal representation form on the council’s official website.

You need to brainstorm reasons for challenging a Moreton and Meols PCN from the day of the incident and list them down in word processing software or on paper. It is essential to have some authentic evidence to attach with your PCN appeal in the form of video footage of the traffic violation, medical certificates explaining your mitigating circumstances, or pay and display tickets. 

The evidence must be matched with the grounds for your appeal before describing the incident from your point of view. Your rough formal representation can be edited for clarity multiple times before it is ready to attach to your online appeal to the Wirral Council. You need to visit the Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council website to submit a formal representation to your Moreton and Meols PCN. You have to open this webpage to enter your PCN number and your Vehicle Registration Number. You need to click on “Search”  to view your PCN details before filling in the online appeals form.This payments and appeals service has the same account so you must be careful not to click on the PCN payment option after you log in. 

It is essential to upload authentic evidence material with your PCN challenge to describe your mitigating circumstances to the Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council and for explaining your point of view of the events which took place at the traffic violation scene.  If you made a video clip of your traffic contravention, you should save snapshots from it by using a video player or video editing software. 

Most video players such as VLC player allow you to slow down your video frame by frame and thus take ( a collection of) snapshots to attach with your Moreton and Meols PCN challenge.The text of your appeal must state the relevant contravention code on your PCN and explain how you attempted to avoid the error (supported by photos or video footage).

Once you have proofread your appeal to eliminate any reasons for your challenge which might convey a disregard for traffic contravention codes enforced in the Wirral Metropolitan Borough (by mixing up the contraventions) or reasons which involve forgetfulness to justify your actions, you can submit the formal representation.

Another way to send in your Moreton and Meols PCN challenge is by mail. You can write a formal representation to the Wirral Council on the reverse of your “Notice to Owner” document. This handwritten appeal should be composed gradually by incorporating all the available evidence material to support the grounds for your challenge and should be able to convince the council of your mitigating circumstances (or other acceptable reasons).

Your letter should mention your PCN number, date of issue of the PCN, your vehicle registration number, and personal details. 

Evidence to support your formal representation can be attached to the form using a stapler or paper clip. Your PCN appeals form and all accompanying evidence documents (enclosed in an envelope) need to be sent to:

Wirral Borough Council,

PO Box 285,


S98 1RW

What Can I Do If My Vehicle has been towed away?

If your vehicle has been towed away from the Moreton and Meols Town Councils you need to call 101 to ask the Merseyside Police about the matter. If your vehicle was towed away for violating your driving license rules, you should have received a form 3078 (seizure notice) by post. Your inquiry will be addressed by the Merseyside Police staff and in case your vehicle has been towed away you will have to visit the Birkenhead Police Station to get it released.

At the Birkenhead Police Station, you will be required to verify 2 kinds of ID documents such as a passport and a driving licence. You could also use 2 other combinations of documents such as your original birth certificate and your vehicle registration certificate. You should also have the insurance certificate for your vehicle and your V5C vehicle registration certificate (with you) unless this has already been used as one of the 2 ID documents.

Vehicles are seized by the Merseyside Police under Section 165 A or the Road Traffic Act 1988 due to a violation of your driving license rules. You must remember to visit the vehicle pound within 7 days of the date mentioned on your form 3078. The amount of money you will need to unclamp your vehicle includes a £200 release fee and storage charges of £20 per day.

So for example if your vehicle was towed away by a parking company 5 days ago, you will need (£20×5) + £200 = £400 to get it released from the vehicle pound. These vehicle release fees and storage charges are set under The Road Traffic Act 1998 (Retention and Disposal of Seized Motor Vehicles).

You should pay your Moreton and Meols Parking PCN online before visiting the Birkenhead Police Station. But even if you just have £400 with you (for leaving your vehicle in the pound for up to 5 days), you can still pay the amount at the Birkenhead Police Station to get your vehicle released before you pay the PCN fine. It is more important to collect your vehicle from the Birkenhead Police Station, before paying your PCN fine because storage fees of £20 are being added every day and your vehicle will no longer be in the vehicle pound after 14 days.

You will have to pay your Moreton and Meols Parking PCN within 14 days when you recover your impounded vehicle, which will cost you only £35. Your vehicle pound charges can vary so it is best to get it removed from there as soon as possible. For each week your vehicle is left in the pound you will have to pay £140 extra storage charges.

Once you contact the Merseyside Police by dialling 101 and tell them your vehicle registration number you will be guided to the Birkenhead Police Station for recovering your impounded vehicle. Merseyside Police has its police stations located at Birkenhead, Huyton, Ganworth Street (Speke Police Station), St. Helens, St. Anne Street, and Southport (Police Station).

You will have to make the payment to release your vehicle from the Birkenhead Police Station by visiting the location in person with at least £200 in cash or available as credit on your payment card. The Merseyside Police accepts Visa Card, Master Card, and Maestro Card for the payment of vehicle release and storage charges.

Birkenhead Police Station is located at this address :

Mortimer Street,


Merseyside CH41 5EU

You can visit Birkenhead Police Station at any time between 10:00 am and 08:00 pm from Monday to Saturday. Birkenhead Police station is also open on Saturdays from 10:00 am to 06:00 pm. Staff from the Merseyside Police will be available at the pound to address your queries and for receiving the payment for vehicle release charges.

You should have the 2 ID Documents, a copy of form 3078, your vehicle’s MOT certificate, and your vehicle registration certificate (if this is not your ID document). After the Merseyside Police staff has verified all these documents, your vehicle seizure notice will be stamped to authorise the release of the vehicle.

You need to go to the Birkenhead Police Station with a cash payment or payment card for payment of vehicle release charges and any vehicle storage expenses (incurred by the vehicle pound). Next, you need to pay the required charges and visit the Birkenhead Police Station to make the payment for getting your vehicle released.

 You must remember to recover your vehicle from the custody of the Merseyside Police before the 14th day. If you leave your vehicle at the Birkenhead Police Station for more than 14 days, it might be crushed or sold by the Merseyside Police.

How Can I Pay my Moreton and Meols PCN fine?

You can pay your Moreton and Meols PCN on the Wirral Council’s online payments page, by sending a check or postal order to Wirral Council or by calling on the Wirral Council’s automated payments hotline.

If you prefer to make your PCN fine payment online, you can visit the Wirral Council website After opening this webpage you can enter your PCN number and vehicle registration number (Mark), and click on “Search” to view CCTV evidence relating to your case before paying your PCN

For paying your PCN you will be asked for your payment card details. The Wirral Council accepts Mastercard, Visa Card, Maestro Card and Visa Electron card for PCN fine payments. Diners card and American Express card are not accepted for making PCN payments. Once you have entered the credit or debit card information you can proceed to paying your fine. It must be noted that paying your Moreton and Meols PCN eliminates any possibility for challenging the Penalty Charge Notice.

Your Moreton and Meols PCN can also be paid by calling on the Wirral Council’s telephone payments service. You have to dial 0333 005 0040 and enter your PCN number by using a * sign for the letters in the code. After this you will have to enter your payment card details. This automated payments service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You should wait to receive a confirmation code before ending your call.

You can also pay your Moreton and Meols PCN by sending a check or postal order payable to “Wirral Council”. You also need to attach the payment slip in your “Notice To Owner” document to this payment. The check or postal order should have your PCN number and Vehicle Registration Number written on the back. This payment needs to be sent to:

Wirral Borough Council,

PO Box 285,


S98 1RW

How much is the PCN fine for each of the 3 kinds of PCNs served in the Moreton and Meols Town Councils?

A Parking PCN in the Moreton and Meols Town Councils is served for violating higher or lower level parking restrictions. You have to pay £70 for committing a higher level parking contravention and £50 for a lower level parking contravention. If you pay the parking fine within 14 days, you will just be paying £35 or £25 as a 50% discount is applicable to your payment.

For failing to comply with a bus lane contravention code or a moving traffic restriction in the Moreton and Meols Town Councils, you will be charged a £70 Penalty Charge Notice. The 50% early payment discount reduces both these types of PCN fines to £35 if a bus lane PCN is paid within 21 days and a moving traffic PCN is paid within 14 days.

What will happen if I don’t pay my Moreton and Meols PCN within the 28-day limit?

You should not ignore traffic contraventions or the Penalty Charge Notices resulting from them or cultivate a careless attitude towards driving in the Moreton and Meols Town Councils. As per your driving license rules, you are bound to abide by Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic contravention codes in the Moreton and Meols Town Councils.

If you neither pay your Moreton and Meols PCN within 28 days nor decide to appeal against it, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The charge certificate increases your PCN fine by 50%, which means you will be paying £105 (or £75) now. You should pay the charge certificate within 14 days as it cannot be appealed and ignoring the charge certificate may result in the filing of a court order (for recovery of debts) against you by the Wirral Council.

You will be sent a “Notice of Debt Registration” and a witness certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if you don’t pay the charge certificate amount within 14 days. The unpaid amount will be treated as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the Northampton County Court.

The court order for debt recovery enforces that the charge certificate amount must be paid in full within 21 days the county court will have to use additional powers to recover the money from your possession which means employing Enforcement Agents to (contact you or) visit your personal premises.

Can I Dispute A Moreton and Meols PCN with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if the Council dismisses my appeal?

Yes, you can dispute the decision of the Wirral Council in your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The Traffic Penalty Tribunal website requires you to enter details given on your Notice of Rejection of Representations, after opening this webpage

You can watch this instructional video here to learn about your challenge process. The video clearly explains how to use the online service offered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. On the Traffic Penalty Tribunal webpage, you will first have to select the type of PCN you were served by the Wirral Council (shown on the bottom part of the page).

After clicking on your specific type of Penalty Charge Notice, you should select “England” (Outside London). In the window which opens up, you should click on the orange box which reads “If you don’t agree with the PCN, you can make representations against it”.

After viewing the instructions on the following page, you need to click on “Start your appeal here” at the bottom of the webpage You will then be required to enter your Vehicle Registration Number, the reference number from the “Notice of Rejection” letter from the Wirral Council, and your PCN number for which the appeal was rejected on this page.

You can use the online service to challenge multiple “Notices of Rejection” simultaneously. You will require a valid email address to create an account on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You have to upload a copy of your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” letter to your application by using the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s online portal.

You can upload evidence such as video clips of your traffic violation scenes (taken from inside your vehicle), medical certificates from a certified General Practitioner, maps of the area showing the exact distance your vehicle travelled inside a no-entry zone, and scanned copies of “pay and display” tickets. You should construct a strong appeals case to communicate your mitigating circumstances or to deliver your assertion that the traffic violation never occurred.

The Traffic Penalty Tribunal should be able to ascertain the legitimacy of your situation by viewing evidence material uploaded to the PCN appeals system.

Your appeal of the “Notice of Rejection of Representations” should be submitted to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal within 28 days of receiving your Notification of Rejection from the Wirral Council. You must avail yourself of this chance of a free and independent hearing of your case. 

You will be able to contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator during the formulation of your appeal. The result of your appeal will be communicated to you within 14-28 days of submitting your representation. If the adjudicator decides the case in your favour, the PCN will be cancelled by the Wirral Council.


This blog post addressed the question “How Can I Challenge A Moreton and Meols PCN?” A reason for challenging your PCN can be as simple as your pay and display ticket sliding off your windscreen due to condensation formation on its surface, but it has to be backed by photo or video evidence explaining your version of events (which the CCTV might have missed out).  A Notice of Rejection of Representations from the Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council can be further disputed with a panel of expert lawyers at the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?