This blog serves to answer the question “How Can I Challenge A Knowsley Council PCN?” A PCN challenge in Knowsley Council can only be made by post. The blog contains detailed instructions on recovering your impounded vehicle from the custody of the Merseyside Police.

How Can I Challenge A Knowsley Council PCN?

You should keep copies of your pay and display tickets, paid PCNs, a list of Parking, Bus Lane and Moving Traffic contravention codes and (ask a passenger to )take photographs of your vehicle while driving for use as evidence for a Knowsley PCN challenge. 

The postal service can take 2 days (1st class) to 5 days (2nd class) to deliver your PCN challenge so you cannot consume too much time in putting together evidence to back your case. The formal representation written on your “Notice to Owner” form should be dispatched by the 10th or 11th day after getting your PCN.

This will put your PCN at hold for the discounted amount, while the Knowsley Council evaluates your PCN challenge. If you are mentioning mitigating circumstances for challenging your PCN, you should have a medical certificate from a certified General Practitioner regarding your (serious) health condition or medical emergency. You should also be able to prove how the health problem affected your driving ability or concentration at the scene of the traffic violation.

It is essential for you to compile a strong appeals case before sending in your challenge so as to avoid being served a “Notice of Rejection of Representations”, which means the Knowsley Council has denied your PCN appeal. 

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a fine or monetary penalty for driving violations. A PCN can be issued in response to any traffic contravention such as a parking contravention, a moving traffic contravention, or a bus lane violation.

A PCN may be issued by a Civil Enforcement Officer or by CCTV.  You will be given 28 days to respond to a PCN. If you don’t pay the PCN within 28 days you will be issued a charge certificate.

A charge certificate will increase the PCN penalty amount by 50% of its original value.

What is the procedure for appealing against a Knowsley PCN?

You can appeal against a Knowsley PCN by writing a formal representation letter addressed to the Knowsley Council.  The informal challenge stage only applies to Parking PCN served by a CEO or to a CCTV Bus Lane PCN. You can write a PCN appeal to the council mentioning your PCN number and vehicle registration number. 

The formal representation has to be made on your “Notice to Owner” after filling out your personal details on the form. In your appeal you can include the text of the sections of the Traffic Management Act 2004 or the Road Traffic Act 1984 relating to your case. The PCN appeal should also be signed and dated by you on the last page. The completed Notice to Owner document along with any medical certificates, pay or display tickets, or photographs attached as proof needs to be sent to:

Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council,

Municipal Buildings,


L36 9UX

What Can I Do If My Vehicle has been towed away?

If your vehicle has been towed away from the Knowsley Council you need to call 101 to ask the Merseyside Police about the matter. If your vehicle was towed away for violating your driving license rules, you should have received a form 3078 (seizure notice) by post. Your inquiry will be addressed by the Merseyside Police staff and in case your vehicle has been towed away you will have to visit the Huyton Police Station to get it released.

Next, you will be required to verify 2 kinds of ID documents such as a passport and a driving licence at the vehicle pound. You could also use 2 other combinations of documents such as your original birth certificate and your vehicle registration certificate. You should also have the insurance certificate for your vehicle and your V5C vehicle registration certificate (with you) unless this has already been used as one of the 2 ID documents.

Vehicles are seized by the Merseyside Police under Section 165 A or the Road Traffic Act 1988 due to a violation of your driving license rules. You must remember to visit the vehicle pound within 7 days of the date mentioned on your form 3078. The amount of money you will need to unclamp your vehicle includes a £200 release fee and storage charges of £20 per day.

So for example if your vehicle was towed away by a parking company 5 days ago, you will need (£20×5) + £200 = £400 to get it released from the vehicle pound. This vehicle release and storage charges are set under The Road Traffic Act 1998 (Retention and Disposal of Seized Motor Vehicles).

You should pay your Knowsley Parking PCN online before visiting the Huyton Police Station. But even if you just have £400 with you (for leaving your vehicle in the pound for up to 5 days), you can still pay the amount at the Huyton Police Station to get your vehicle released before you pay the PCN fine. It is more important to collect your vehicle from the Huyton Police Station than to pay your PCN fine because storage fees of £20 are being added every day and your vehicle will no longer be in the vehicle pound after 14 days.

You will have to pay your Knowsley Parking PCN within 14 days when you recover your impounded vehicle, which will cost you only £35. Your vehicle pound charges can vary so it is best to get it removed from there as soon as possible. For each week your vehicle is left in the pound you will have to pay £140 extra storage charges.

Once you contact the Merseyside Police by dialling 101 and tell them your vehicle registration number you will be guided to the Huyton Police Station for recovering your impounded vehicle. Merseyside Police has its police stations located at Huyton, Ganworth Street (Liverpool) , St. Helens, St. Anne Street, and Southport (Police Station).

You will have to make the payment to release your vehicle from the Huyton Police Station by visiting the location in person with at least £200 in cash or available as credit on your payment card. The Merseyside Police accepts Visa Card, Master Card, and Maestro Card for the payment of vehicle release and storage charges.

Huyton Police Station is located at this address :

Huyton Police Station,

Lathom Road,



L36 9XU

You can visit Huyton Police Station at any time between 8:00 am and 10:00 pm from Monday to Saturday. Huyton Police station is also open on Sundays from 08:00 am to 5:00 pm. Staff from the Merseyside Police will be available at the pound to address your queries and for receiving the payment for vehicle release charges.

You should have the 2 ID Documents, a copy of form 3078, your vehicle’s MOT certificate, and your vehicle registration certificate (if this is not your ID document). After the Merseyside Police staff has verified all these documents, your vehicle seizure notice will be stamped to authorise the release of the vehicle. After this, you can visit the vehicle recovery operator, mentioned on the stamped seizure notice to collect your vehicle.

You need to go to the Huyton Police Station with a cash payment or payment card for payment of vehicle release charges and any vehicle storage expenses (incurred by the vehicle pound). Next, you need to pay the required charges and visit the recovery operator’s vehicle pound to free your vehicle.

 You must remember to recover your vehicle from the custody of the Merseyside Police before the 14th day. Your vehicle will be disposed of on the 15th day.

How much is the PCN fine for each of the 3 kinds of PCNs served in Knowsley Council?

The 3 kinds of PCNs served in Knowsley Council are a Parking PCN, a Bus Lane PCN, and a Moving Traffic PCN. 

The Penalty Charge Notice fine for a Knowsley Parking PCN is set at £70 for a higher level traffic violation and £50 for a lower level traffic violation. A 50% discount applies to early payment so If you pay your higher level parking PCN within 14 days, you just have to pay £35. Similarly, if you pay your lower level parking PCN within 14 days, you just have to pay just £25.

If you pay a Bus Lane PCN within 28 days, you will be charged £70 and if you pay it within 21 days, you just have to pay £35. The PCN fine for a moving traffic PCN in Knowsely Council is £70. There is a 50% discount for paying it within 14 days, which reduces the fine to £35.

How can I pay my Knowsley PCN fine?

You can pay your Knowsley PCN by telephone, through the postal service, or online here

You can open this webpage to access the Penalty Charge Notice payments system. After opening the page, you should enter your PCN number and vehicle registration number and click on “Submit” to initiate the payment process.

After you log in to the PCN payments system, you can pay your PCN by credit or debit card. In the next window, you will be required to provide your payment card details. Knowsley Council accepts VisaCard, MasterCard, Maestro Card, DeltaCard, and Electron Card for PCN payments.

You can also pay on the Knowsley Council’s automated payments hotline by dialling: 0345 319 0430. Next, you will be required to provide your payment card details, PCN Number, and vehicle registration number. You can enter your PCN number by replacing the letters with the * key. This payment hotline is active 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The Knowsley Council also accepts PCN fine payments by post. You need to send a check, postal order, or bank draft payable to “Knowsley MBC”. You can write down your PCN Number and Vehicle Registration Number on the back of your check or postal order. 

Send your PCN fine payment to this address:

Knowsley MBC,

PO Box 222,


S98 1NX

What will happen if I don’t pay my Knowsley PCN within the 28-day limit?

If you fail to pay your Knowsley PCN within the 28-day limit you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The charge certificate increases your PCN fine by 50%. You should pay the charge certificate within 14 days as it cannot be appealed and ignoring the charge certificate may result in the filing of a court order (for recovery of debts) against you by Knowsley Council.

When the charge certificate is also not paid within 14 days, you will receive a “Notice of Debt Registration” and a witness certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The unpaid amount will be treated as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the Northampton County Court.

The court order for debt recovery enforces that the charge certificate amount must be paid in full within 21 days or it will have to use additional powers to recover the money from your possession.

Can I Dispute A Knowsley PCN with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if the council dismisses my appeal?

Yes, you can dispute the decision of the Knowsley Council in your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. For this, you can use the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s website by clicking this link 

You can watch this instructional video here to learn about your challenge process. It clearly explains how to use the online service offered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. On the Traffic Penalty Tribunal webpage, you will first have to select the type of PCN you were served by the Knowsley Council (shown on the bottom part of the page). This can be a bus lane PCN, Parking PCN, or moving traffic PCN.

You will then be required to enter your Vehicle Registration Number, the reference number from the “Notice of Rejection” letter from the Knowsley Council, and your PCN number for which the appeal was rejected.

You can use the online service to challenge multiple “Notices of Rejection” simultaneously. You will require a valid email address to create an account on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You have to upload a copy of your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” letter to your application by using the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s online portal.

Scanned copies of evidence to strengthen your case such as a pay and display ticket or photographs of the scene can be added along with your explanation. The explanation of your case should be well worded and convince the tribunal of an error on the part of the Knowsley Council in adjudicating your case.

Your appeal of the “Notice of Rejection of Representations” should be submitted to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal within 28 days of receiving your Notification of Rejection from Knowsley Council.

You will be able to contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator during the registration of your appeal. The result of your appeal will be communicated to you within 14-28 days of submission. If the adjudicator decides the case in your favour, the PCN will be cancelled by Knowsley Council.


This blog post addressed the question “How Can I Challenge A Knowsley Council PCN?” The evidence provided with your PCN challenge can make or break your case, so it should be selected carefully.  A “Notice of Rejection of Representations” from Knowsley Council can further be disputed at the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The benefit of getting a £70 PCN fine cancelled should be your primary motivation for preparing and writing down a compelling PCN challenge.


Merseyside Police seized vehicles

Road Traffic Act 1988 vehicle release fee and daily storage charges