This blog serves to answer the question “How Can I Challenge A Kirklees PCN?” Your Kirklees PCN challenge should never contain spontaneous reasons to justify your actions or ones which indicate forgetfulness. The blog stresses the necessity to attach evidence documents or video footage with your PCN challenge and to actively collect this evidence from your road trips in Kirklees council. 

How Can I Challenge A Kirklees PCN?

It is essential to collect and preserve video clips of your road trips in Kirklees Council for using them as evidence in case you are charged with a Penalty Charge Notice. These videos can be filmed by a friend or family member travelling with you. The camera’s focus should be on the front of your vehicle and on your actions to steer or apply the brakes to the car at a road junction. 

Without these recordings as proof of your attempts to avoid the traffic violation or to show that the contravention never occurred, it can be next to impossible to register any such grounds for a PCN appeal.

Other than this, you should remember the location of the traffic contravention codes enforced at the road junctions, bus lanes, and restricted streets in Kirklees Council. The operational hours of moving traffic contraventions and bus lanes also need to be kept in mind when driving.

 If the traffic contravention code relating to a certain location pops into your head as you drive by the area, you will always remember to make the correct turn. Your subconscious mind may fail to register the presence of a traffic sign placed along the roadside as it is preoccupied with other thoughts or worries.

Your PCN challenge should mention reasons which conform to the established grounds for appealing against a certain traffic contravention. The Kirklees Council will only accept reasons in line with these established grounds or a list of permissible mitigating circumstances if they are backed by authentic evidence.

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a fine or monetary penalty for driving violations. A PCN can be issued in response to any traffic contravention such as a parking contravention, a moving traffic contravention, or a bus lane violation.

A PCN may be issued by a Civil Enforcement Officer or by CCTV.  You will be given 28 days to respond to a PCN. If you don’t pay the PCN within 28 days you will be issued a charge certificate.

A charge certificate will increase the PCN penalty amount by 50% of its original value.

What is the procedure for appealing against a Kirklees PCN?

You can appeal against a Kirklees PCN by writing a formal representation letter addressed to the Kirklees Council.  The informal challenge stage only applies to Parking PCN served by a CEO or to a CCTV Bus Lane PCN. You should mention your PCN number and vehicle registration number as references. 

The formal representation has to be made on your “Notice to Owner” In your appeal, you can include the text of the sections of the Traffic Management Act 2004 or the Road Traffic Act 1984 relating to your case. You should at least state the contravention code you have breached along with evidence of any mitigating circumstances.

The PCN appeal should also be signed and dated by you on the last page. The completed Notice to Owner document along with any medical certificates, pay or display tickets or photographs attached as proof needs to be sent to:

Parking Office,

PO Box 1496,



You can also challenge your Kirklees PCN online by clicking here. On this webpage, you need to enter your PCN number and Vehicle Registration number and click “Search” to start your PCN challenge. This payments and appeals service has the same account so you must be careful not to click on the PCN payment option after you log in.

You can view CCTV camera footage of your traffic contravention before constructing your PCN appeal. The reasons for you disputing the PCN can be typed into a word processing software first and related to the text of the relevant traffic contravention code as well as to the specific material evidence you plan to use in your appeal.

So you can take 3 to 4 days for recollecting your thoughts about the traffic violation incident and use a map of the area (where your traffic violation occurred) as reference to explain in which direction you intended to steer your vehicle. This map should also be accompanied by some photo or video media showing your actions inside the vehicle at that moment. Evidence including photos and videos can be uploaded by accessing the Kirklees Council PCN database.

You can also submit an informal representation to your Kirklees PCN (CCTV Bus Lane PCN or Parking PCN served by a CEO) by accessing your PCN details here. You have to fill out the informal representation form by typing your full name, email address, and the contents of your informal representation. Once you are done, you can click “submit”. The informal appeals stage is applicable to PCNs sent by post.

You have to make the challenge to your PCN within 28 days of receiving it.

If the Kirklees Council accepts your PCN appeal, the PCN will be annulled and you will not be liable for paying any monetary penalty. In case the council sends you a “Notice of Rejection” by disapproving of your representation you will have to pay the amount mentioned on your PCN.

On what grounds can I challenge a Kirklees Bus Lane CCTV PCN?

You can challenge a Bus Lane CCTV PCN from Kirklees Council on the following grounds :

  • You did not enter a bus lane during operational hours and the CCTV has wrongly charged you with a PCN as you were just trying to access premises next to the bus lane. Contravention code 34 J.
  • You did not ignore or disregard a “no entry” sign for a bus lane, the contravention code 51 J needs to be mentioned, before proving that the violation didn’t happen. 
  • Your vehicle was not parked in a bus lane during its operational hours. Contravention code 34M or 34 F.

How much is the PCN fine for each of the 3 kinds of PCNs served in Kirklees Council?

The 3 kinds of PCNs served in Kirklees Council are Parking PCNs, Bus Lane PCNs, and Moving Traffic PCNs. 

The Penalty Charge Notice fine for a Kirklees Parking PCN is set at £70 for a higher level traffic violation and £50 for a lower level traffic violation. A 50% discount applies to early payment so If you pay your higher level parking PCN within 14 days, you just have to pay £35. Similarly, if you pay your lower level parking PCN within 14 days, you just have to pay just £25.

If you pay a Bus Lane PCN within 28 days, you will be charged £70 and if you pay it within 21 days, you just have to pay £35. The PCN fine for a moving traffic PCN in Kirklees Council is £70. There is a 50% discount for paying it within 14 days, which reduces the fine to £35.

How can I pay my Kirklees PCN fine?

You can pay your Kirklees PCN through the postal service, at your nearest Paypoint location, by telephone, in person at any post office, or online here

The Kirklees Council website has a system for viewing your PCN details before paying the PCN. You need to open this webpage to access the Penalty Charge Notice payments system. Your PCN number and vehicle registration number have to be entered to initiate the payment process.

Once you click “Search” you will be directed to your online PCN, where you can choose to pay the fine. In the next window, you will be required to provide your payment card details. The Kirklees Council accepts VisaCard, MasterCard, Maestro Card, DeltaCard, and Electron Card for PCN payments.

You can also pay on the Kirklees Council’s automated payments hotline by dialling: 01484 414 818. Next, you will be required to provide your payment card details, PCN Number, and vehicle registration number. You can enter your PCN number by replacing the letters with the * key. This payment hotline is active 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Kirklees Council also accepts PCN fine payments by post. You need to send a check, postal order, or bank draft payable to “Kirklees Council”. You can write down your PCN Number and Vehicle Registration Number on the back of your check or postal order.

Send your PCN fine payment to this address:

Parking Office,

PO Box 1496,



You can also pay your PCN fine at any post office located in Kirklees Council, such as:

  • Huddersfield Post Office

65-67 New St.

Huddersfield HD1 2BQ

  • Fartown Post Office,

316 Bradford Road,

Huddersfield HD1 6HQ

  • Bradley Post Office,

1211 Leeds Road,

Huddersfield HD2 1UY

  • Marsh Post Office,

104 Westbourne Road,


Huddersfield HD1 4LF

  • Deighton Post Office,

290-292 Keldregate,

Huddersfield HD2 1LE

  • Moldgreen Post Office,

23 Broad Lane,


Huddersfield HD5 9BX

  • Paddock Post Office,

153 Church Street,


Huddersfield HD1 4UJ

  • Lindley Post Office,

179 Acre Street,


Huddersfield HD3 3EH

  • Town End Post Office,

32 Town End,


Huddersfield HD7 4QD

  • Milnsbridge Post Office,

72 Market Street,


Huddersfield HD3 4HT

PCN fine payments are also accepted at all Paypoint locations in the Kirklees Council. To pay you will have to search for your nearest PayPoint location here. A letter containing your unique Paypoint barcode is required to access the payments system. Once you have located your nearest Paypoint outlet, you can visit the location to pay your PCN in cash.

Your nearest Paypoint outlet might be Huddersfield Supersave located at:

44 Springwood Street



Or Kirklees Council Paypoint, located at:

Flint Street,



Or a Paypoint outlet in Leeds Road Food and Wine Store located at:

380 Leeds Road,



Paypoint Sainsburys is located at:


Acre Street,



What will happen if I don’t pay my Kirklees PCN within the 28-day limit?

If you fail to pay your Kirklees PCN within the 28-day limit you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The charge certificate increases your PCN fine by 50%. You should pay the charge certificate within 14 days as it cannot be appealed and ignoring the charge certificate may result in the filing of a court order (for recovery of debts) against you by the Kirklees Council.

When the charge certificate is also not paid within 14 days, you will receive a “Notice of Debt Registration” and a witness certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The unpaid amount will be treated as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the Northampton County Court.

The court order for debt recovery enforces that the charge certificate amount must be paid in full within 21 days or it will have to use additional powers to recover the money from your possession.

Can I Dispute A Kirklees PCN with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if the council dismisses my appeal?

Yes, you can dispute the decision of the Kirklees Council in your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. For this, you can use the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s website by clicking this link 

You can watch this instructional video here to learn about your challenge process. It clearly explains how to use the online service offered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. On the Traffic Penalty Tribunal webpage, you will first have to select the type of PCN you were served by the Kirklees Council (shown on the bottom part of the page) . This can be a Bus Lane PCN, a Parking PCN or a Moving Traffic PCN.

You will then be required to enter your Vehicle Registration Number, the reference number from the “Notice of Rejection” letter from the Kirklees Council, and your PCN number for which the appeal was rejected.

You can use the online service to challenge multiple “Notices of Rejection” simultaneously. You will require a valid email address to create an account on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You have to upload a copy of your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” letter to your application by using the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s online portal.

Scanned copies of evidence to strengthen your case such as a pay and display ticket or photographs of the scene can be added along with your explanation. The explanation of your case should be well worded and convince the tribunal of an error on the part of the Kirklees Council in adjudicating your case.

Your appeal of the “Notice of Rejection of Representations” should be submitted to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal within 28 days of receiving your Notification of Rejection from the Kirklees Council.

You will be able to contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator during the registration of your appeal. The result of your appeal will be communicated to you within 14-28 days of submission. If the adjudicator decides the case in your favour, the PCN will be cancelled by the Kirklees Council.


This blog post addressed the question “How Can I Challenge A Kirklees PCN?” Unless you create a habit of preserving copies of your pay and display tickets, keep a list of contravention codes enforced on major locations and maintain a record of photographs or videos of your vehicle (on a smartphone or digital camera) travelling on the roads of Kirklees Council, you will not be able to find proper evidence to attach with your PCN appeal. Making a Kirklees PCN challenge on the council website is the best way to attach large volumes of evidence material to support your case.


Kirklees Council website 

Kirklees Council A Guide to Civil Parking Enforcement and Grounds for making Challenges