This blog serves to answer the question “How Can I Challenge A Keswick and Solway PCN? The blog emphasises the importance of collecting evidence relating to your driving actions on a daily basis so that you have at least one piece of evidence relating to the traffic violation for supporting your formal representation. The grounds of your PCN challenge need to be professionally worded and should not mention any reasons which concern forgetfullness or display a lack of awareness of enforced contravention codes.

How Can I Challenge A Keswick and Solway PCN?

You can submit a formal representation to your Keswick and Solway PCN by visiting the Allerdale Borough Council website. You can easily keep personal data relating to parking permits, mitigating circumstances, and video recordings of your daily journeys ready for uploading with your online formal representation form. To accomplish this you should have a computer or laptop with sufficient hard disk space for storing digital camera video footage and high-resolution photographs.

These digital media variants can come in handy to prove that your traffic contravention never happened or explain the actions you took on the scene to avoid (for instance) breaching a bus lane or no entry zone or to park within your designated parking space. The evidence material recorded by your digital camera serves to indicate your awareness of the traffic contravention code enforced at the specific location. 

You should attempt to maintain a record of your road trips on a digital or smartphone camera, which can be operated by a passenger travelling with you. These photos and videos can be periodically uploaded to a folder on your computer. Once you are served a Parking, Bus Lane or Moving Traffic PCN by the Allerdale Borough Council, you can simply browse through your daily video recordings to find the correct scene. If you film with a high definition camera, it should be easy to capture minute details such as the exact position of your vehicle in a parking space or along road markings. You will realise that this is the only possible piece of evidence which can be used to prove that your vehicle never breached the relevant bus lane or moving traffic contravention.

It is essential for you to compile a strong appeals case before sending in your challenge so as to avoid being served a “Notice of Rejection of Representations” from the Allerdale Borough Council, which means the council has denied your PCN appeal.

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a monetary penalty issued to drivers or motorists for committing certain traffic contraventions including violating Parking, Bus Lane and Moving Traffic restrictions. A PCN is issued for failing to follow Parking zone, bus lane enforcement and moving traffic restrictions mentioned in the Road Traffic Act 1984 and the Traffic Management Act 2004.

A penalty charge notice can be handed to you by a Civil Enforcement Officer or dispatched to your (DVLA) residential address by post. CCTV cameras and Civil Enforcement Officers observe traffic contraventions before a violation is detected and the vehicle is charged with a PCN.

A PCN might also be issued for failing to pay road charges on time. You have 28 days to decide how and if you would like to challenge your Penalty Charge Notice. After 28 days if you have neither paid nor challenged your PCN, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

If you don’t challenge a PCN, you should pay the fine within 28 days, otherwise, its amount will increase by 50%. A £70 PCN will be worth £105 if you pay it in the 14 days after receiving your charge certificate.

What is the procedure for appealing against a Keswick and Solway PCN?

You can submit a formal representation to your Keswick and Solway PCN by writing a letter addressed to the Allerdale Borough Council or by filling in the online formal representation form on the Allerdale Borough Council website.Keswick Town Council and Silloth on Solway Town Councils are both part of Allerdale Borough Council, which is the administrative division responsible for enforcing Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic contraventions in both these regions. 

The CCTV cameras and Civil Enforcement Officers of the Allerdale Borough Council observe the parking zones, streets, and roads of Keswick Town Council and Silloth on Solway Town Ward for catching any breach of contravention codes enforced in the council. The Allerdale Borough Council will decide the result of your PCN appeal and either cancel your Penalty Charge Notice or send you a Notice of Rejection.. So a Penalty Charge Notice issued in Keswick Town Council and Silloth on Solway Town Council is actually an Allerdale PCN.

You need to brainstorm reasons to challenge a Keswick and Solway PCN from the day of the incident and list them down in word processing software or on paper. It is essential to have some authentic evidence to attach with your PCN appeal in the form of video footage of the traffic violation, medical certificates explaining your mitigating circumstances, or pay and display tickets. 

The evidence must be matched with the grounds for your appeal before describing the incident from your point of view. Your rough formal representation can be edited for clarity multiple times before it is ready to attach to your online appeal to the Allerdale Borough Council. You need to visit the Allerdale Borough Council website to submit a formal representation to your PCN. You need to register on the Allerdale Borough Council for an account before you can challenge your Keswick and Solway PCN. For this you need to open this webpage and enter your Full Name, email address, postal address, a new password for your account and your mobile number.

Once you have typed in all these details, you just have to accept the terms and conditions at the end of the page and click on “Create Account”. You will receive a confirmation at your mentioned email address, after which you can login to your (my Allerdale online reporting) account here. After this you need to simply enter your PCN number and your vehicle registration number to view your PCN details before filling in the online appeals form. You can also download the My Allerdale App for free on your smartphone or tablet to login to your Allerdale Borough Council account and stay informed of any new notifications regarding Penalty Charge Notices.

It is essential to upload authentic evidence material with your PCN challenge to describe your mitigating circumstances to the Allerdale Borough Council and for explaining your point of view of the events which took place at the traffic violation scene. The text of your appeal must state the relevant contravention code on your PCN and explain how you attempted to avoid the error (supported by photos or video footage).

Once you have proofread your appeal to eliminate any reasons for your challenge which might convey a disregard for traffic contravention codes enforced in the Keswick and Silloth on Solway Town Councils (by mixing up the contraventions) or reasons which involve forgetfulness to justify your actions, you can submit the formal representation.

Another way to send in your Keswick and Solway PCN challenge is by mail. You can write down a formal representation on paper and attach evidence documents or photographs to the form using a stapler or paper clip. Your letter should mention your PCN number, date of issue of the PCN, your vehicle registration number, and personal details. 

Your PCN appeals form and all accompanying evidence documents (enclosed in an envelope) need to be sent to:

Allerdale Borough Council,

Allerdale House,



CA14 3YJ

How much is the PCN fine for each of the 3 kinds of PCNs served in the Keswick and Silloth on Solway Town Councils?

A Parking PCN in Allerdale Borough Council is served for violating higher or lower level parking restrictions. You have to pay £70 for committing a higher level parking contravention and £50 for a lower level parking contravention. If you pay the parking fine within 14 days, you will just be paying £35 or £25 as a 50% discount is applicable to your payment.

For failing to comply with a bus lane contravention code or a moving traffic restriction in Allerdale Borough Council, you will be charged a £70 Penalty Charge Notice. The 50% early payment discount reduces both these types of PCN fines to £35 if a bus lane PCN is paid within 21 days and a moving traffic PCN is paid within 14 days.

How Can I Pay my Keswick and Solway PCN fine?

You can pay a Keswick and Solway PCN on the online payments page or by calling the Allerdale Borough Council’s automated payments hotline.

If you prefer to make your PCN fine payment online, you can visit the Allerdale Borough Council website.  After opening this webpage you need to select “Pay for Parking Penalty” and enter your PCN number (Ref) and the amount of your Parking, Bus Lane or Moving Traffic PCN Once you are done, you can click on “Pay Now”.

For paying your PCN you will be asked for your payment card details. The Allerdale Borough Council accepts Mastercard, Visa Card, Maestro Card and Visa Electron card for PCN fine payments. Diners card and American Express card are not accepted for making PCN payments. Once you have entered the credit or debit card information you can proceed to paying your fine. It must be noted that paying your Keswick and Solway PCN eliminates any possibility for challenging the Penalty Charge Notice.

Your Keswick and Solway PCN can also be paid by calling on the Allerdale Borough Council’s telephone payments service. You have to dial 0303 123 1702 and enter your PCN number by using a * sign for the letters in the code. After this you will have to enter your payment card details. This automated payments service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You should wait to receive a confirmation code before ending your call.

What will happen if I don’t pay my Keswick and Solway PCN within the 28-day limit?

You should not ignore traffic contraventions or the Penalty Charge Notices resulting from them or cultivate a careless attitude towards driving in Keswick and Silloth on Solway Town Councils. As per your driving license rules, you are bound to abide by Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic contravention codes in Allerdale Borough Council.

If you neither pay your Keswick and Solway PCN within 28 days nor decide to appeal against it, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The charge certificate increases your PCN fine by 50%, which means you will be paying £105 (or £75) now. You should pay the charge certificate within 14 days as it cannot be appealed and ignoring the charge certificate may result in the filing of a court order (for recovery of debts) against you by the Allerdale Borough Council.

You will be sent a “Notice of Debt Registration” and a witness certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal, if you don’t pay the charge certificate amount within 14 days. The unpaid amount will be treated as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the Northampton County Court.

The court order for debt recovery enforces that the charge certificate amount must be paid in full within 21 days or the county court will have to use additional powers to recover the money from your possession which means employing Enforcement Agents to (contact you or) visit your personal premises.

Can I Dispute A Keswick and Solway PCN with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if the Allerdale Borough Council dismisses my appeal?

Yes, you can dispute the decision of the Allerdale Borough Council in your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The Traffic Penalty Tribunal website requires you to enter details given on your Notice of Rejection of Representations, after opening this webpage.

You can watch this instructional video here to learn about your challenge process. The video clearly explains how to use the online service offered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. On the Traffic Penalty Tribunal webpage, you will first have to select the type of PCN you were served by the Allerdale Borough Council (shown on the bottom part of the page).

After clicking on your specific type of Penalty Charge Notice, you should select “England” (Outside London). In the window which opens up, you should click on the orange box which reads “If you don’t agree with the PCN, you can make representations against it”.

After viewing the instructions on the following page, you need to click on “Start your appeal here” at the bottom of the webpage You will then be required to enter your Vehicle Registration Number, the reference number from the “Notice of Rejection” letter from the Allerdale Borough Council, and your PCN number for which the appeal was rejected on this page.

You can use the online service to challenge multiple “Notices of Rejection” simultaneously. You will require a valid email address to create an account on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You have to upload a copy of your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” letter to your application by using the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s online portal.

You can upload evidence such as video clips of your traffic violation scenes (taken from inside your vehicle), medical certificates from a certified General Practitioner, maps of the area showing the exact distance your vehicle travelled inside a no-entry zone, and scanned copies of “pay and display” tickets. You should construct a strong appeals case to communicate your mitigating circumstances or to deliver your assertion that the traffic violation never occurred.

The Traffic Penalty Tribunal should be able to ascertain the legitimacy of your situation by viewing evidence material uploaded to the PCN appeals system.

Your appeal of the “Notice of Rejection of Representations” should be submitted to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal within 28 days of receiving your Notification of Rejection from the Allerdale Borough Council. You must avail yourself of this chance of a free and independent hearing of your case. 

You will be able to contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator during the formulation of your appeal. The result of your appeal will be communicated to you within 14-28 days of submitting your representation. If the adjudicator decides the case in your favour, the PCN will be cancelled by the Allerdale Borough Council.


This blog post addressed the question “How Can I Challenge A Keswick and Solway PCN?”

You need to be aware of the contravention code mentioned on your Penalty Charge Notice and have evidence to challenge it ready with you by expecting to be given a PCN anyday. The best way to be prepared for challenging a PCN suddenly handed to you is by recording video clips of your road trips in Lymington Town Council, as these can be used as evidence for Parking, Bus Lane and Moving Traffic PCNs.

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?