How Can I Challenge A Kenillworth and Warwick PCN?

This blog serves to answer the question “How Can I Challenge A Kenilworth and Warwick PCN?” ” A PCN challenge which aims to prove that the traffic contravention did not occur, must contain photographs or video footage relating to the incident. Evidence relating to road journeys in Warwick District Council must be stored on a computer for easy access to support the grounds for your PCN appeals.

How Can I Challenge A Kenillworth and Warwick PCN?

Kenilworth Town and Warwick Town are both part of Warwick District Council and the Warwick District Council is responsible for serving and dealing with Penalty Charge Notices in the Town Councils. You can choose to challenge a Kenilworth and Warwick PCN on the Warwick District Council website. A formal representation can only be compiled on your computer, laptop or mobile device if you are maintaining a folder which contains scanned copies of pay and display tickets, maps of streets in Warwick District Council, a list of traffic contravention codes enforced in the council (with operational hours for bus lane and moving traffic restrictions) and a regularly updated video log of your road trips.

It is essential to attach evidence to prove each reason you provide for challenging the alleged traffic contravention and also for validating your efforts to avoid the violation. The appeal should not make the council suspect your knowledge of traffic contravention codes or deduce a lack of respect for following traffic restrictions on your part. The exact date and time on evidence for mitigating circumstances such as pay and display tickets, photographs and video footage needs to match the date and time of your PCN contravention.

You can also submit a challenge to your Kenilworth and Warwick PCN by writing down the grounds of your appeal on the back side of your Penalty Charge Notice. Evidence to show how your traffic contravention didn’t happen or for justifying your mitigating circumstances can be obtained by capturing snapshots from a video clip of the scene. These snapshots can be printed out and sent with your written formal representation to the Warwick District Council. You must allow upto 5 days for a second class mail letter to reach the council and upto 2 days for first class mail to be delivered to the Warwick District Council.

Evidence for mitigating circumstances such as a medical certificate (from a certified General Practitioner) should be dated and signed from a week or two before the incident if you are suffering from Covid-19.

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a monetary penalty issued to drivers or motorists for committing certain traffic contraventions including violating Parking, Bus Lane and Moving Traffic restrictions. A PCN is issued for failing to follow Parking zone, bus lane enforcement and moving traffic restrictions mentioned in the Road Traffic Act 1984 and the Traffic Management Act 2004.

A penalty charge notice can be handed to you by a Civil Enforcement Officer or dispatched to your (DVLA) residential address by post. CCTV cameras and Civil Enforcement Officers observe traffic contraventions before a violation is detected and the vehicle is charged with a PCN.

A PCN might also be issued for failing to pay road charges on time. You have 28 days to decide how and if you would like to challenge your Penalty Charge Notice. After 28 days if you have neither paid nor challenged your PCN, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

If you don’t challenge a PCN, you should pay the fine within 28 days, otherwise, its amount will increase by 50%. A £70 PCN will be worth £105 if you pay it in the 14 days after receiving your charge certificate.

What is the procedure for appealing against a Kenilworth and Warwick PCN?

You can submit a formal representation to your Kenilworth and Warwick PCN by writing a letter addressed to the Warwick District Council or by filling in the online formal representation form on the council’s official website.

You need to brainstorm reasons for challenging a Kenilworth and Warwick PCN from the day of the incident and list them down in word processing software or on paper. It is essential to have some authentic evidence to attach with your PCN appeal in the form of video footage of the traffic violation, medical certificates explaining your mitigating circumstances, or pay and display tickets. 

The evidence must be matched with the grounds for your appeal before describing the incident from your point of view. Your rough formal representation can be edited for clarity multiple times before it is ready to attach to your online appeal to the Warwick District Council. You need to visit the Warwick District Council website to submit a formal representation to your Kenilworth and Warwick PCN. You have to open this webpage to enter your PCN number and your Vehicle Registration Number. You need to click on “Search”  to view your PCN details before filling in the online appeals form.This payments and appeals service has the same account so you must be careful not to click on the PCN payment option after you log in. 

It is essential to upload authentic evidence material with your PCN challenge to describe your mitigating circumstances to the Warwick District Council and for explaining your point of view of the events which took place at the traffic violation scene.  If you made a video clip of your traffic contravention, you should save snapshots from it by using a video player or video editing software. 

Most video players such as VLC player allow you to slow down your video frame by frame and thus take ( a collection of) snapshots to attach with your Kenilworth and Warwick PCN challenge.The text of your appeal must state the relevant contravention code on your PCN and explain how you attempted to avoid the error (supported by photos or video footage).

Once you have proofread your appeal to eliminate any reasons for your challenge which might convey a disregard for traffic contravention codes enforced in the Warwick District Council (by mixing up the contraventions) or reasons which involve forgetfulness to justify your actions, you can submit the formal representation.

Another way to send in your Keniworth and Warwick PCN challenge is by mail. You can write a formal representation to the Warwick District Council on the reverse of your “Notice to Owner” document. This handwritten appeal should be composed gradually by incorporating all the available evidence material to support the grounds for your challenge and should be able to convince the council of your mitigating circumstances (or other acceptable reasons).

Your letter should mention your PCN number, date of issue of the PCN, your vehicle registration number, and personal details. 

Evidence to support your formal representation can be attached to the form using a stapler or paper clip. Your PCN appeals form and all accompanying evidence documents (enclosed in an envelope) need to be sent to:

Warwick District Council,

Riverside House,

Milverton Hill,

Leamington Spa,

CV32 5HZ

How much is the PCN fine for each of the 3 kinds of PCNs served in Warwick District Council?

A Parking PCN in Warwick District Council is served for violating higher or lower level parking restrictions. You have to pay £70 for committing a higher level parking contravention and £50 for a lower level parking contravention. If you pay the parking fine within 14 days, you will just be paying £35 or £25 as a 50% discount is applicable to your payment.

For failing to comply with a bus lane contravention code or a moving traffic restriction in Warwick District Council, you will be charged a £70 Penalty Charge Notice. The 50% early payment discount reduces both these types of PCN fines to £35 if a bus lane PCN is paid within 21 days and a moving traffic PCN is paid within 14 days

How Can I Pay my Kenilworth and Warwick PCN fine?

You can pay your Kenilworth and Warwick PCN on the online payments page or by calling on the Warwick District Council’s automated payments hotline.

If you prefer to make your PCN fine payment online, you can visit the Warwick District Council website.  After opening this webpage you need to enter your PCN Number and Vehicle Registration Number. Once you are done , you can click on “Search”.

For paying your PCN you will be asked for your payment card details. The Warwick District  Council accepts Mastercard, Visa Card, Maestro Card and Visa Electron card for PCN fine payments. Diners card and American Express card are not accepted for making PCN payments. Once you have entered the credit or debit card information you can proceed to paying your fine. It must be noted that paying your Kenilworth and Warwick PCN eliminates any possibility for challenging the Penalty Charge Notice.

Your Kenilworth and Warwick PCN can also be paid by calling on the Warwick District Council’s telephone payments service. You have to dial 01926 456128 and enter your PCN number by using a * sign for the letters in the code. After this you will have to enter your payment card details. This automated payments service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You should wait to receive a confirmation code before ending your call.

You can also pay your Kenilworth and Warwick PCN at any post office in Warwick District Council. You need to go with a cash payment of £70 or £35 (if you are paying within 14 days) and your Penalty Charge Notice for paying your PCN.

You can pay your Kenilworth and Warwick PCN in cash by using Paypoint. To pay you will have to search for your nearest PayPoint location here. A letter containing your unique Paypoint barcode is required to access the payments system. Once you have located your nearest Paypoint outlet, you can visit the location to pay your PCN in cash.

What will happen if I don’t pay my Kenilworth and Warwick PCN within the 28-day limit?

You should not ignore traffic contraventions or the Penalty Charge Notices resulting from them or cultivate a careless attitude towards driving in Warwick District Council. As per your driving license rules, you are bound to abide by Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic contravention codes in Warwick District Council.

If you neither pay your Kenilworth and Warwick PCN within 28 days nor decide to appeal against it, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The charge certificate increases your PCN fine by 50%, which means you will be paying £105 (or £75) now. You should pay the charge certificate within 14 days as it cannot be appealed and ignoring the charge certificate may result in the filing of a court order (for recovery of debts) against you by the Warwick District Council.

You will be sent a “Notice of Debt Registration” and a witness certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal, if you don’t pay the charge certificate amount within 14 days. The unpaid amount will be treated as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the Northampton County Court.

The court order for debt recovery enforces that the charge certificate amount must be paid in full within 21 days or the county court will have to use additional powers to recover the money from your possession which means employing Enforcement Agents to (contact you or) visit your personal premises.

Can I Dispute A Kenilworth and Warwick PCN with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if the Warwick District Council dismisses my appeal?

Yes, you can dispute the decision of the Warwick District Council in your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The Traffic Penalty Tribunal website requires you to enter details given on your Notice of Rejection of Representations, after opening this webpage.

You can watch this instructional video here to learn about your challenge process. The video clearly explains how to use the online service offered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. On the Traffic Penalty Tribunal webpage, you will first have to select the type of PCN you were served by the Warwick District Council (shown on the bottom part of the page).

After clicking on your specific type of Penalty Charge Notice, you should select “England” (Outside London). In the window which opens up, you should click on the orange box which reads “If you don’t agree with the PCN, you can make representations against it”.

After viewing the instructions on the following page, you need to click on “Start your appeal here” at the bottom of the webpage You will then be required to enter your Vehicle Registration Number, the reference number from the “Notice of Rejection” letter from the Warwick District Council, and your PCN number for which the appeal was rejected on this page.

You can use the online service to challenge multiple “Notices of Rejection” simultaneously. You will require a valid email address to create an account on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You have to upload a copy of your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” letter to your application by using the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s online portal.

You can upload evidence such as video clips of your traffic violation scenes (taken from inside your vehicle), medical certificates from a certified General Practitioner, maps of the area showing the exact distance your vehicle travelled inside a no-entry zone, and scanned copies of “pay and display” tickets. You should construct a strong appeals case to communicate your mitigating circumstances or to deliver your assertion that the traffic violation never occurred.

The Traffic Penalty Tribunal should be able to ascertain the legitimacy of your situation by viewing evidence material uploaded to the PCN appeals system.

Your appeal of the “Notice of Rejection of Representations” should be submitted to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal within 28 days of receiving your Notification of Rejection from the Warwick District Council. You must avail yourself of this chance of a free and independent hearing of your case. 

You will be able to contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator during the formulation of your appeal. The result of your appeal will be communicated to you within 14-28 days of submitting your representation. If the adjudicator decides the case in your favour, the PCN will be cancelled by the Warwick District Council.


This blog post addressed the question “How Can I Challenge A Kenilworth and Warwick PCN?” You must film video clips of your road journeys in Warwick District Council and save each day’s recording separately in a folder on your computer. This is the most compelling form of evidence that can be provided to successfully challenge a Kenilworth and Warwick PCN. If you keep evidence material ready with you, you will consider a Penalty Charge Notice as an opportunity to prove your knowledge of (and respect for) traffic contraventions by constructing and sending in a strong PCN challenge.