This blog serves to answer the question “How Can I Challenge A Hull City Council PCN?” Your PCN appeal must be supported by authentic evidence relating to the traffic violation which clearly shows that you attempted to avoid the situation (or successfully prevented the contravention from occurring that day). It is essential to maintain digital records of your pay and display tickets, medical certificates and a video log of your road trips in Hull City Council on your computer or laptop.

How Can I Challenge A Hull City Council PCN?

You can challenge your Hull City Council PCN on the official council website by entering your PCN number, vehicle registration number and a web code provided on your Notice to Owner, to access the formal representation form. Your appeal can be first constructed by using word processing software such as MS Word. Evidence material relating to your traffic contravention can be saved inside a separate folder on your computer.

While formulating the grounds of your appeal, you should verify them against a list of acceptable mitigating circumstances and with the established grounds for appealing a certain Bus Lane, Moving Traffic or Parking contravention. These established grounds involve the assertion that the relevant bus lane or moving traffic contravention never occurred, which must be backed by photo or video evidence. 

Still, photographs and video footage from inside the vehicle (taken on the scene)can also show for instance,  how you tried to apply the brakes to your vehicle on time or to steer it properly in the correct direction.

This appeal should not involve reasons which display a lack of urgency or seriousness to avoid committing a certain traffic contravention. If you want to avoid mistakes in your formal representation, you should save a list of the traffic contravention codes in the council classified by their location. This can be used to avoid the embarrassment of mentioning false grounds for your appeal. 

You can also challenge your Hull City PCN by filling out the Notice to Owner statement received by post or handed to you by a Civil Enforcement Officer on the scene. Here you can attach evidence in the form of still photographs or medical certificates (from a certified General Practitioner) to support mitigating circumstances.

It is essential for you to compile a strong appeals case before sending in your challenge so as to avoid being served a “Notice of Rejection of Representations”, which means the council has denied your PCN appeal. 

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a fine or monetary penalty for driving offences. A PCN can be issued for any legal traffic contravention, such as a parking contravention, moving traffic contravention or bus lane violation.

The charges of your PCN will also vary depending on whether it has been issued for a higher level violation or for a lower level violation. A PCN may also be served for refusing to pay road charges.

A PCN may be issued by a Civil Enforcement Officer or by CCTV. You will be given 28 days to respond to a Penalty Charge Notice.

 If you fail to pay the fine or appeal it, you will be sent a charge certificate which increases the PCN fine by 50% of its original value.

What is the procedure for appealing against a PCN from the Hull City Council?

You can appeal against a PCN from the Hull City Council by writing a formal representation letter by using your “Notice to Owner”.  The informal challenge stage only applies to Parking PCN served by a CEO or to  a CCTV Bus Lane PCN.You can write a PCN appeal to the Council mentioning your PCN number and vehicle registration number as reference. 

In this letter you can  include the text of the sections of the Traffic Management Act 2004 or the Road Traffic Act 1984 relating to your case.The PCN appeal should also be signed and dated by you on the last page. This completed Notice to Owner document along with any medical certificates, pay or display tickets or photographs attached as proof needs to be sent to:

CPE Hull,

PO Box 474,



You can also challenge your Hull City PCN online by clicking here After opening the page you need to enter your PCN number, vehicle registration number and web code (mentioned on your PCN) to login to the Hull City parking portal. You can view CCTV camera footage of your traffic contravention before constructing your PCN appeal.

The reasons for you disputing the PCN must be listed down on paper first and explained using the wording of relevant traffic regulations. These reasons need to be formally compiled into an appeals letter to be submitted to the Hull City Council along with any material evidence.

So you can take 3 to 4 days for recollecting your thoughts about the traffic violation incident and even check your vehicle to recall the position in which it was parked that day.Evidence including photos and videos can be attached online using the Hull City Council parking portal.

You have to make the challenge to your PCN within 28 days of receiving it.

If the Hull City Council accepts your PCN appeal, the PCN will be annulled and you will not be liable for paying any monetary penalty. In case the council sends you a “Notice of Rejection” by disapproving of your representation you will have to pay the amount mentioned on your PCN.

For which traffic contraventions can I be served a Parking PCN in Hull City Council?

A Parking PCN is issued in Hull City Council for traffic violations including:

  • For a vehicle that has been parked in a prohibited street during prescribed hours. Vehicles are not allowed to park on yellow lines during prescribed hours except those driven by a blue badge holder (a person registered as disabled).
  • For a vehicle that has been parked in a restricted street within 15 meters of a junction (on double yellow lines)
  • For a  vehicle that has been parked in violation of traffic cones in a street that has been closed off.
  • For a vehicle that has been parked in a resident’s parking zone without having a valid parking permit or a valid pay and display ticket.
  • For a vehicle that has been parked in a resident’s parking zone (in the pay and display bay) following the expiry of a pay and display ticket. A pay and display ticket should be purchased for the entire duration of time you might have to park your vehicle in a particular spot. 

So if you might need to spend 20-30 minutes more you should probably choose a different parking ticket in the first place.

  • For a vehicle that has been left parked in any pay and display bay not clearly showing the parking ticket. The pay and display ticket should be properly visible to the CEO or CCTV camera watching the parking bay. A 5 minute observation period will be granted to fix the situation before issuing the PCN
  • For a vehicle that has been brought into and parked within the same parking bay within one hour or any other specified no return time limit (after leaving the parking area.)
  • For a vehicle that has not been parked entirely inside the markings of a parking bay and with one full wheel shown to be beyond the correct limits of a parking zone space.
  • For exceeding a vehicle parking ticket’s time limit by 10 minutes or more. Blue Badge or disabled parking holders are exempt from this rule
  • For being parked in a disabled person’s reserved parking space without clearly showing a blue badge
  • For a vehicle incorrectly parked in a mandatory cycle lane instead of being parked in a parking bay.
  • For a vehicle that has been left parked on any portion of or inside a school keep clear marking.
  • For a vehicle that has been left parked within a pedestrian zone. It also applies to a vehicle’s entry into a pedestrian zone, as vehicle entry is banned from these areas.
  • For vehicles that have been left parked on any portion of the footpath located adjacent to a pedestrian crossing.
  • For a vehicle that has failed to move out of a pedestrian crossing area in time or has been braked or brought to rest by a driver on a pedestrian crossing.

How can I pay my Hull City PCN?

You can pay your Hull City PCN by telephone, or online here.

The Hull City Council website has a system for viewing your PCN details before paying the PCN. You need to open this webpage  and click on “Pay your parking or Bus Lane penalty charge notice”. This will open a new window, where you will be required to enter your PCN number and vehicle registration number, and then click on “Get Amount”. Your session on this page times out after 10 minutes so don’t leave your screen idle for more than this time period.

After confirming the payable amount, you can proceed to making your PCN payment online. In the next window, you will be required to provide your payment card details. Hull City Council accepts VisaCard, MasterCard, Maestro Card, DeltaCard and Electron Card for PCN payments.

You can also pay on Hull City Council’s automated payments hotline by dialling: 01482 300 300. Next, you will be required to provide your payment card details, PCN Number, and vehicle registration number. You can enter your PCN number by replacing the letters with the * key. This payment hotline is active 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

How much is the PCN fine for each of the 3 kinds of PCNs served in Hull City Council?

The 3 kinds of PCNs served in Hull City Council are a Parking PCN, a Bus Lane PCN and a Moving Traffic PCN. 

The Penalty Charge Notice fine for a Hull City Parking PCN is set at £70 for a higher level traffic violation and £50 for a lower level traffic violation. A 50% discount applies to early payment so If you pay your higher level parking PCN within 14 days, you just have to pay £35. Similarly, if you pay your lower level parking PCN within 14 days, you just have to pay just £25.

If you pay a Bus Lane PCN within 28 days, you will be charged £70 and if you pay it within 21 days, you just have to pay £35. The PCN fine for a moving traffic PCN in Hull City Council is £70. There is a 50% discount for paying it within 14 days, which reduces the fine to £35.

What will happen if I don’t pay my Hull City PCN within the 28-day limit?

If you fail to pay your Hull City PCN within the 28-day limit you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The charge certificate increases your PCN fine by 50%. You should pay the charge certificate within 14 days as it cannot be appealed and ignoring the charge certificate may result in the filing of a court order (for recovery of debts) against you by the Hull City Council.

When the charge certificate is also not paid within 14 days, you will receive a “Notice of Debt Registration” and a witness certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The unpaid amount will be treated as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the Northampton County Court.

The court order for debt recovery enforces that the charge certificate amount must be paid in full within 21 days or it will have to use additional powers to recover the money from your possession.

Can I Dispute A Hull City PCN with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if the council dismisses my appeal?

Yes, you can dispute the decision of the Hull City Council in your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. For this, you can use the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s website by clicking this link 

You can watch this instructional video here to learn about your challenge process. It clearly explains how to use the online service offered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. On the Traffic Penalty Tribunal webpage, you will first have to select the type of PCN you were served by the Hull City Council (shown on the bottom part of the page) .

You will then be required to enter your Vehicle Registration Number, the reference number from the “Notice of Rejection” letter from the Hull City Council, and your PCN number for which the appeal was rejected.

You can use the online service to challenge multiple “Notices of Rejection” simultaneously. You will require a valid email address to create an account on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You have to upload a copy of your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” letter to your application by using the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s online portal.

Scanned copies of evidence to strengthen your case such as a pay and display ticket or photographs of the scene can be added along with your explanation. The explanation of your case should be well worded and convince the tribunal of an error on the part of the Hull City Council in adjudicating your case.

Your appeal of the “Notice of Rejection of Representations” should be submitted to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal within 28 days of receiving your Notification of Rejection from the Hull City Council.

You will be able to contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator during the registration of your appeal. The result of your appeal will be communicated to you within 14-28 days of submission. If the adjudicator decides the case in your favour, the PCN will be cancelled by the Hull City Council.


This blog post addressed the question “How Can I Challenge A Hull City Council PCN?”  You must prepare for writing a PCN appeal by memorising the traffic contravention codes applicable to bus lanes, road junctions, and parking zones in Hull City Council. A Notice of Rejection of Representations from the Hull City Council can be further disputed with a panel of expert lawyers at the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.


Hull City Council Fines and Parking tickets