This blog serves to answer the question “How Can I Challenge A Gloucestershire PCN?” You should be aware of the traffic contravention codes being enforced on the locations along your daily route in Gloucestershire County Council. The blog contains instructions on how to recover your impounded vehicle from the custody of the Gloucestershire Constabulary.

How Can I Challenge A Gloucestershire PCN?

You can register a challenge to your Gloucestershire PCN on the official website by using the online formal representation form. Here you simply have to enter your PCN number and vehicle registration number to access your account. You need to maintain a folder on your computer containing scanned copies of your pay and display tickets, paid PCN fines and a regularly updated video log of your road trips in Gloucestershire County.

 In order to successfully challenge a PCN from Gloucestershire County Council, you should maintain a record of your road presence in the council by requesting a passenger in your vehicle to take photographs or to capture your journey on a digital camera. Attention to detail in these evidence videos or still photographs can enable you to prove that you had parked a few inches away from a yellow line or had stopped your vehicle just outside a box junction.

You should also be aware of all the different contravention codes enforced at road junctions, bus lanes and parking zones in Gloucestershire County Council. It is essential for you to compile a strong appeals case before sending in your challenge so as to avoid being served a “Notice of Rejection of Representations” from the Gloucestershire County Council, which means the council has denied your PCN appeal.

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a fine or monetary penalty for driving offences. A PCN can be issued for any legal traffic contravention, such as a parking contravention, moving traffic contravention or bus lane violation.

The charges of your PCN will also vary depending on whether it has been issued for a higher level violation or for a lower level violation. A PCN may also be served for refusing to pay road charges.

A PCN may be issued by a Civil Enforcement Officer or by CCTV. You will be given 28 days to respond to a Penalty Charge Notice.

 If you fail to pay the fine or appeal it, you will be sent a charge certificate which increases the PCN fine by 50% of its original value.

Can I Only Challenge A PCN from the Gloucestershire County Council on the official website?

Yes, you can only challenge a PCN from the Gloucestershire County Council on the official website

Your Gloucestershire County PCN appeal can be initiated by clicking on “Appeal A PCN” after opening this link . On this webpage you will see a chat window with the chatbot Max. You need to interact with the chatbot by providing your PCN Number and Vehicle Registration Number. Once these details are verified by the virtual assistant, you can type in your PCN appeal with relevant reasons and evidence (which can be uploaded to the system).

You can view CCTV camera footage of your traffic contravention before constructing your PCN appeal. The reasons for you disputing the PCN must be listed down on paper first and explained using the wording of relevant traffic regulations. These reasons need to be formally compiled into an appeals letter to be submitted to the Gloucestershire County Council along with any material evidence.

So you can take 3 to 4 days to recollect your thoughts about the traffic violation incident and even check your vehicle to recall the position in which it was parked that day. Evidence including photos and videos can be attached online using the Gloucestershire County Council website

You have to make the challenge to your PCN within 28 days of getting it by post or by the 27th day from the date it was issued by a Civil Enforcement Officer on the scene.

If the Gloucestershire County Council accepts your PCN appeal, the PCN will be annulled and you will not be liable for paying any monetary penalty. In case the council sends you a “Notice of Rejection” by disapproving of your representation you will have to pay the amount mentioned on your PCN.

.What Can I Do If My Vehicle has been towed away?

If your vehicle has been towed away in the Gloucestershire County Council you need to call the Vehicle Recovery Liaison Office by dialling 01452 752681. On the call you should ask the Gloucestershire Constabulary about the exact location of your vehicle by providing your vehicle registration number

If your vehicle was towed away for violating your driving license rules, you should have received a form 3078 (seizure notice) by post. Your inquiry will be addressed by the Gloucestershire Constabulary staff and you will be redirected to the Gloucester Police Station to get it released. The police station will guide you to the Gloucestershire Constabulary’s vehicle recovery operator Cotswold Recovery Ltd.

Next, you will be required to verify 2 kinds of ID documents such as a passport and a driving licence at the vehicle pound. You could also use 2 other combinations of documents such as your original birth certificate and your vehicle registration certificate. You should also have the insurance certificate for your vehicle and your V5C vehicle registration certificate (with you) unless this has already been used as one of the 2 ID documents.

Vehicles are seized by the Gloucestershire Constabulary under Section 165 A or the Road Traffic Act 1988 due to a violation of your driving license rules. You must remember to visit the vehicle pound within 7 days of the date mentioned on your form 3078. The amount of money you will need to unclamp your vehicle includes a £200 release fee and storage charges of £20 per day. So for example if your vehicle was towed away by a parking company 3 days ago, you will need (£20×3) + £200 = £260 to get it released from the vehicle pound. This vehicle release and storage charges are set under The Road Traffic Act 1998 (Retention and Disposal of Seized Motor Vehicles).

You should pay your Gloucestershire County Council Parking PCN online before collecting the vehicle from the Highworth vehicle pound operated by Cotswold Vehicle Recovery Ltd.. But even if you just have £200 or £260 with you (for leaving your vehicle in the pound for up to 3 days), you can still pay the amount at the vehicle pound and claim your vehicle. It is more important to collect your vehicle from Cotswold Vehicle Recovery Ltd. than to pay your PCN fine because storage fees of £20 are being added every day and your vehicle will no longer be in the vehicle pound after 14 days.

As you will have to pay your Parking PCN within 14 days when you are recovering your impounded vehicle, it will cost you only £35. Your vehicle pound charges can vary so it is best to get it removed from there as soon as possible. For each week your vehicle is left in the pound you will have to pay £140 extra storage charges.

Once you contact the Gloucestershire Constabulary by dialling 01452 752681 and tell them your vehicle registration number you will be guided to your nearest Cotswold Vehicle Recovery service vehicle pound for recovering your impounded vehicle. Cotswold Vehicle Recovery Stations are located at Carterton (01993 845930) and Highworth (01793 296004)

You will have to make the payment to release your vehicle from the Cotswold Vehicle Recovery pound by visiting the location in person with at least £200 in cash or available as credit on your payment card. Cotswold Vehicle Recovery accepts Visa Card, Master Card, Maestro Card, and Solo Card for the payment of vehicle release and storage charges.

Gloucester Police Station is located at this address :

Longsmith Street,


Gloucester GL1 2JP,

Cotswold Vehicle Recovery Ltd Swindon vehicle pound is located at this address:

Tesla Park,

Blackworth Industrial Estate,




You need to book an appointment for collecting your vehicle before you visit the Cotswold Vehicle Recovery station at Highworth by calling 01793 296004. You can visit Cotswold Vehicle Recovery pound located at Highworth, Wiltshire between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm from Monday to Friday. Your vehicle will be released once all the required (original) documents have been verified and approved.

These include the 2 ID Documents, a copy of form 3078, your vehicle’s MOT certificate, and your vehicle registration certificate (if this is not your ID document). After all these documents have been verified by Cotswold Vehicle Recovery Swindon, your vehicle seizure notice will be stamped to authorise the release of the vehicle.

If your vehicle has been towed away you need to go to the Cotswold vehicle pound at Highworth Town with a cash payment or payment card for payment of vehicle release charges and any vehicle storage expenses (incurred by the vehicle pound). Next, you need to pay the required charges and your vehicle is free. 

You must remember to recover your vehicle within 7 days from the vehicle pound. If you leave it there for more than 14 days the car might be scrapped or sold. 

How much is the PCN fine for each of the 3 kinds of PCNs served in Gloucestershire County Council?

The 3 kinds of PCNs served in Gloucestershire County Council are a Parking PCN, a Bus Lane PCN and a Moving Traffic PCN. 

The Penalty Charge Notice fine for a Gloucestershire County Parking PCN is set at £70 for a higher level traffic violation and £50 for a lower level traffic violation. A 50% discount applies to early payment so If you pay your higher level parking PCN within 14 days, you just have to pay £35. Similarly, if you pay your lower level parking PCN within 14 days, you just have to pay just £25.

If you pay a Bus Lane PCN within 28 days, you will be charged £70 and if you pay it within 21 days, you just have to pay £35. The PCN fine for a moving traffic PCN in Gloucestershire County Council is £70. There is a 50% discount for paying it within 14 days, which reduces the fine to £35.

How can I pay a PCN in Gloucestershire County Council?

You can pay a PCN in Gloucestershire County Council by telephone, or online here

The Gloucestershire County Council website has a system for viewing your PCN details before paying the PCN. You need to open this webpage to access the Penalty Charge Notice payments system. Your PCN number and vehicle registration number have to be entered to initiate the payment process.

Once you click “Continue” you will be directed to your online PCN, where you can choose to pay for it. In the next window, you will be required to provide your payment card details. East Sussex County Council accepts VisaCard, MasterCard, Maestro Card, DeltaCard and Electron Card for PCN payments.

You can also pay on the Gloucestershire County Council’s automated payments hotline by dialling: 0333 121 0225. Next, you will be required to provide your payment card details, PCN Number, and vehicle registration number. You can enter your PCN number by replacing the letters with the * key. This payment hotline is active 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What will happen if I don’t pay my Gloucestershire County PCN within the 28-day limit?

If you fail to pay your Gloucestershire County PCN within the 28-day limit you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The charge certificate increases your PCN fine by 50%. You should pay the charge certificate within 14 days as it cannot be appealed and ignoring the charge certificate may result in the filing of a court order (for recovery of debts) against you by the Gloucestershire County Council.

When the charge certificate is also not paid within 14 days, you will receive a “Notice of Debt Registration” and a witness certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The unpaid amount will be treated as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the Northampton County Court.

The court order for debt recovery enforces that the charge certificate amount must be paid in full within 21 days or it will have to use additional powers to recover the money from your possession.

Can I Dispute A Gloucestershire County PCN with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if the council dismisses my appeal?

Yes, you can dispute the decision of the Gloucestershire County Council in your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. For this, you can use the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s website by clicking this link 

You can watch this instructional video here to learn about your challenge process. It clearly explains how to use the online service offered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. On the Traffic Penalty Tribunal webpage, you will first have to select the type of PCN you were served by the Gloucestershire County Council (shown on the bottom part of the page) .

You will then be required to enter your Vehicle Registration Number, the reference number from the “Notice of Rejection” letter from the Gloucestershire County Council, and your PCN number for which the appeal was rejected.

You can use the online service to challenge multiple “Notices of Rejection” simultaneously. You will require a valid email address to create an account on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You have to attach a copy of your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” letter to your application by using the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s online portal.

Scanned copies of evidence to strengthen your case such as a pay and display ticket or photographs of the scene can be added along with your explanation. The explanation of your case should be well worded and convince the tribunal of an error on the part of the Gloucestershire County Council in adjudicating your case.

Your appeal of the “Notice of Rejection of Representations” should be submitted to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal within 28 days of receiving your Notification of Rejection from the Gloucestershire County Council.

You will be able to contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator during the registration of your appeal. The result of your appeal will be communicated to you within 14-28 days of submission. If the adjudicator decides the case in your favour, the PCN will be cancelled by the Gloucestershire County Council.


This blog post addressed the question “How Can I Challenge A Gloucestershire PCN?” It is essential for you to have a list of traffic contravention codes classified under Bus Lane, Parking and Moving Traffic headings before attempting to compose a Gloucestershire PCN challenge. A Notice of Rejection of Representations from the Gloucestershire County Council can be further disputed with a panel of expert lawyers at the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.


Gloucestershire Constabulary Seized Vehicles