This blog serves to answer the question “How Can I Challenge A Dudley PCN?” Evidence relating to your road presence in Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council must be preserved by storing video logs of your journeys and scanned copies of pay and display tickets on your computer. Your Dudley PCN can be challenged again in the presence of expert and independent adjudicators at the Traffic Penalty Tribunal after being served a “Notice of Rejection” from the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council.

How Can I Challenge A Dudley PCN?

You can challenge a Dudley PCN by choosing a valid reason to contest your Parking, Bus Lane, or Moving Traffic PCN. As a driver on the roads of Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council you must be well aware of the restrictions in place at parking zones, at road turns, and bus lanes across the region. You should make an effort to prevent breaching these restrictions and only end up with a PCN in rare circumstances which do not include being unaware of the traffic order being enforced at the location.

If you only end up violating a bus lane or a restricted street by a few metres and can use video footage to show that you had actively attempted to steer your vehicle back to the correct path you can mention your authentic mitigating circumstances in a formal representation to the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council. 

The Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council will not know that you had not habitually breached the bus lane contravention unless you share the video footage or photographs clearly showing your actions from inside the vehicle. It is also mandatory for you to attach proper evidence for your mitigating circumstances such as a serious health condition that prevented you from correctly operating your vehicle (with symptoms affecting your hand-eye coordination, vision, or limb movements).

You have to be 100% sure that you didn’t breach the traffic restriction before stating this in your Dudley PCN challenge, and also have clear video footage or photographs from the scene to prove your case. A PCN challenge without a compelling reason to dispute the charge issued by the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council will not be entertained.

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a monetary penalty issued to drivers or motorists for committing certain traffic contraventions including violating Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic restrictions. A PCN is issued for failing to follow Parking zone, bus lane enforcement, and moving traffic restrictions mentioned in the Road Traffic Act 1984 and the Traffic Management Act 2004.

A penalty charge notice can be handed to you by a Civil Enforcement Officer or dispatched to your (DVLA) residential address by post. Traffic contraventions are observed by CCTV cameras and Civil Enforcement Officers before a violation is detected and the vehicle is charged with a PCN.

A PCN might also be issued for failing to pay road charges on time. You have 28 days to decide how and if you would like to challenge your Penalty Charge Notice. After 28 days if you have neither paid nor challenged your PCN, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

If you don’t challenge a PCN, you should pay the fine within 28 days, otherwise, its amount will increase by 50%. A £70 PCN will be worth £105 if you pay it in the 14 days after receiving your charge certificate.

What is the procedure for appealing against a Dudley PCN?

You can submit a formal representation to your Dudley PCN by writing a letter addressed to the Dudley Borough Council or by filling in the online formal representation form on the council’s official website.

You need to brainstorm reasons for challenging a Dudley PCN from the day of the incident and list them down in word processing software or on paper. It is essential to have some authentic evidence to attach with your PCN appeal in the form of video footage of the traffic violation, medical certificates explaining your mitigating circumstances, or pay and display tickets. 

The evidence must be matched with the grounds for your appeal before describing the incident from your point of view. Your rough formal representation can be edited for clarity multiple times before it is ready to attach to your online appeal to the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council. You need to visit the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council website to submit a formal representation to your PCN. You have to first read the “Data Protection Statement” before filling out the online formal representation form, once you have read it, you can click on “Begin”.

Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council requires you to register for an account on its website before submitting your PCN challenge online. You can click here to enter a valid emal address and choose a password, once you are done, you can click on register. After logging in to your Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council account you can enter your PCN number and vehicle registration number to access the online formal representation form.

It is essential to upload authentic evidence material with your PCN challenge to describe your mitigating circumstances to the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council and for explaining your point of view of the events which took place at the traffic violation scene.  If you made a video clip of your traffic contravention, you should save snapshots from it by using a video player or video editing software. 

Most video players such as the VLC Player allow you to slow down your video frame by frame and thus take ( a collection of) snapshots to attach with your Dudley PCN challenge. The text of your appeal must state the relevant contravention code on your PCN and explain how you attempted to avoid the error (supported by photos or video footage).

Once you have proofread your appeal to eliminate any reasons for your challenge which might convey a disregard for traffic contravention codes enforced in the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council (by mixing up the contraventions) or reasons which involve forgetfulness to justify your actions, you can submit the formal representation.

Another way to send in your Dudley PCN challenge is by mail. You can write a formal representation to the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council on the reverse of your “Notice to Owner” document. This handwritten appeal should be composed gradually by incorporating all the available evidence material to support the grounds for your challenge and should be able to convince the council of your mitigating circumstances (or other acceptable reasons).

Your letter should mention your PCN number, date of issue of the PCN, your vehicle registration number, and personal details. 

Evidence to support your formal representation can be attached to the form using a stapler or paper clip. Your PCN appeals form and all accompanying evidence documents (enclosed in an envelope) need to be sent to:

Parking Management,

Council House,

Mary Stevens Park,



How much is the PCN fine for each of the 3 kinds of PCNs served in Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council?

A Parking PCN in the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council is served for violating higher or lower-level parking restrictions. You have to pay £70 for committing a higher-level parking contravention and £50 for a lower-level parking contravention. If you pay the parking fine within 14 days, you will just be paying £35 or £25 as a 50% discount is applicable to your payment.

For failing to comply with a bus lane contravention code or a moving traffic restriction in the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council you will be charged a £70 Penalty Charge Notice. The 50% early payment discount reduces both these types of PCN fines to £35 if a bus lane PCN is paid within 21 days and a moving traffic PCN is paid within 14 days

How Can I Pay My Dudley PCN fine?

You can pay your Dudley PCN on the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council’s online payments page, by sending a check or postal order through the mail or by calling the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council’s automated payments hotline.

If you choose to make your PCN fine payment online, you should visit the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council website. On this page you need to enter your details in the field “Car Park Fines”. You can enter your PCN Reference number and the amount of your PCN finer to initiate your PCN fine payment. You need to click on “Add to Basket” once you have entered these details. In the next step of paying your PCN, you need to enter your payment card details to complete the online payment process. Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council accepts Visa, Mastercard, Maestro Card and Delta Card for PCN payments.

You might want to call Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council’s automated payments hotline.  For this you have to call on 0300 555 7000. On the call you will need to enter your Dudley PCN number and your payment card details. You can use the * key to enter the letters in your PCN number. This payment hotline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You should wait to receive a confirmation code for your PCN payment before ending the call.

But if you want to pay by post you need to attach a check or postal order payable to “Dudley M.B.C.” and send it to this address:

Parking Management,

Council House,

Mary Stevens Park,



You should remember to write down your PCN number and Vehicle Registration Number on the back of your check or postal order.

What will happen if I don’t pay my Dudley PCN within the 28-day limit?

You should not ignore traffic contraventions or the Penalty Charge Notices resulting from them or cultivate a careless attitude towards driving in the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council. Per your driving license rules, you are bound to abide by Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic contravention codes in the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council.

If you neither pay your Dudley PCN within 28 days nor decide to appeal against it, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The charge certificate increases your PCN fine by 50%, which means you will be paying £105 (or £75) now. You should pay the charge certificate within 14 days as it cannot be appealed and ignoring the charge certificate may result in the filing of a court order (for recovery of debts) against you by the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council.

You will be sent a “Notice of Debt Registration” and a witness certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if you don’t pay the charge certificate amount within 14 days. The unpaid amount will be treated as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the Northampton County Court.

The court order for debt recovery enforces that the charge certificate amount must be paid in full within 21 days or the county court will have to use additional powers to recover the money from your possession which means employing Enforcement Agents to (contact you or) visit your personal premises.

Can I Dispute A Dudley PCN with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council dismisses my appeal?

Yes, you can dispute the decision of the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council in your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The Traffic Penalty Tribunal website requires you to enter details given on your Notice of Rejection of Representations, after opening this webpage.

You can watch this instructional video here to learn about your challenge process. The video clearly explains how to use the online service offered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. On the Traffic Penalty Tribunal webpage, you will first have to select the type of PCN you were served by the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council (shown on the bottom part of the page).

After clicking on your specific type of Penalty Charge Notice, you should select “England” (Outside London). In the window which opens up, you should click on the orange box which reads “If you don’t agree with the PCN, you can make representations against it”.

After viewing the instructions on the following page, you need to click on “Start your appeal here” at the bottom of the webpage You will then be required to enter your Vehicle Registration Number, the reference number from the “Notice of Rejection” letter from the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council, and your PCN number for which the appeal was rejected on this page.

You can use the online service to challenge multiple “Notices of Rejection” simultaneously. You will require a valid email address to create an account on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You have to upload a copy of your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” letter to your application by using the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s online portal.

You can upload evidence such as video clips of your traffic violation scenes (taken from inside your vehicle), medical certificates from a certified General Practitioner, maps of the area showing the exact distance your vehicle travelled inside a no-entry zone, and scanned copies of “pay and display” tickets. You should construct a strong appeals case to communicate your mitigating circumstances or to deliver your assertion that the traffic violation never occurred.

The Traffic Penalty Tribunal should be able to ascertain the legitimacy of your situation by viewing evidence material uploaded to the PCN appeals system.

Your appeal of the “Notice of Rejection of Representations” should be submitted to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal within 28 days of receiving your Notification of Rejection from the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council. You must avail yourself of this chance of a free and independent hearing of your case. 

You will be able to contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator during the formulation of your appeal. The result of your appeal will be communicated to you within 14-28 days of submitting your representation. If the adjudicator decides the case in your favour, the PCN will be cancelled by the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council.


This blog post addressed the question “How Can I Challenge A Dudley PCN?” It is better to send your PCN challenge to the Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council through the online form as you can attach video clips and arrange your available evidence material on your computer beforehand. Bus Lane and Moving Traffic PCNs can only be challenged if the traffic violation never happened and you have to attach authentic video footage (preferably in high definition) from the scene to support your case.