This blog serves to answer the question “How Can I Challenge A Crawley PCN?” Each reason which is employed to challenge a PCN must be professionally worded and supported with authentic evidence documents. This blog explains why you need to recover your impounded vehicle from the Crawley Police Station as soon as possible.

How Can I Challenge A Crawley PCN?

A PCN served by Crawley Borough Council can only be challenged by filling in the online formal representation form. If you have received a Parking PCN issued by a Civil Enforcement Officer or a Bus Lane CCTV PCN, you have to register an informal representation first. The informal representation should convince the Crawley Borough Council of the existence of your mitigating circumstances or of any other established grounds for challenging the relevant traffic contravention.

A formal representation can only be compiled on your computer, laptop or mobile device if you are maintaining a folder which contains scanned copies of pay and display tickets, maps of streets in Crawley Borough Council, a list of traffic contravention codes enforced in the council (with operational hours for bus lane and moving traffic restrictions and a regularly updated video log of your road trips.

It is essential to attach evidence to prove each reason you provide for challenging the alleged traffic contravention and also for validating your efforts to avoid the violation. The appeal should not make the council suspect your knowledge of traffic contravention codes or deduce a lack of respect for following traffic restrictions on your part. The exact date and time on evidence for mitigating circumstances such as pay and display tickets, photographs and video footage needs to match the date and time of your PCN contravention.

Evidence for mitigating circumstances such as a medical certificate (from a certified General Practitioner) should be dated and signed from a week or two before the incident if you are suffering from Covid-19.

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a fine or monetary penalty for driving violations. A PCN can be issued in response to any traffic contravention such as a parking contravention, a moving traffic contravention or a bus lane violation.

A PCN may be issued by a Civil Enforcement Officer or by CCTV.  You will be given 28 days to respond to a PCN. If you don’t pay the PCN within 28 days you will be issued a charge certificate.

A charge certificate will increase the PCN penalty amount by 50% of its original value.

Can I Only Challenge A PCN from the Crawley Borough Council on the official website?

Yes, you can only challenge a PCN from the Crawley Borough Council by using the formal representation form on the council’s official website.  The informal challenge stage only applies to Parking PCN served by a CEO or to  a CCTV Bus Lane PCN. You can choose to make this informal appeal online or by post. Your Buckinghamshire PCN appeal can be initiated by clicking on “Make A Representation Online” on this page. On this webpage you need to enter your PCN number and Vehicle Registration number (as well as a web code provided on your notice). 

Once you are ready to enter your appeal you can click “”Continue” to start your PCN challenge. 

You can view CCTV camera footage of your traffic contravention before constructing your PCN appeal.The reasons for you disputing the PCN must be listed down on paper first and explained using the wording of relevant traffic regulations. These reasons need to be formally compiled into an appeals letter to be submitted to the Crawley Borough Council along with any material evidence.

So you can take 3 to 4 days for recollecting your thoughts about the traffic violation incident and even check your vehicle to recall the position in which it was parked that day. Evidence including photos and videos can be attached online using the formal representation form on the Crawley Borough Council website.

You have to make the challenge to your PCN within 28 days of receiving it.

If the Crawley Borough Council accepts your PCN appeal, the PCN will be annulled and you will not be liable for paying any monetary penalty. In case the council sends you a “Notice of Rejection” by disapproving of your representation you will have to pay the amount mentioned on your PCN.

How can I pay a PCN fine in Crawley Borough Council?

You can pay a PCN fine in Crawley Borough Council in person, by telephone or online here

The Crawley Borough Council website provides an online payment service for PCN fines. You need to open this webpage to access the Penalty Charge Notice payments portal. Your PCN number has to be entered to initiate the payment process. Click continue to move onto the next window. In the next window, you will be required to provide your Vehicle Registration number and payment card details. Crawley Borough Council accepts VisaCard, MasterCard, Maestro Card, DeltaCard, Electron Card, and Solo Card.

You can also pay on the Crawley Borough Council’s automated payments hotline by dialling: 01293 438 312.. Next, you will be required to provide your payment card details, PCN Number, and vehicle registration number. You can enter your PCN number by replacing the letters with a * sign. This payment hotline is active 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The Crawley Borough Council also accepts PCN fine payments in person. For this purpose you need to visit the Crawley Town Hall to pay your PCN fine in cash. You need to visit between 8:30 am and 5:00pm from Monday to Friday.

Crawley Town Hall is located at this address:

Town Hall,

The Boulevard,

Crawley RH10 1UZ

You should remember to pay your PCN within 14 days to avail the 50% discount on all PCN fines. Your credit and debit card payments via telephone and by using the council website should be made one or two days earlier, as they may be entered into the system the next day.

How much is the PCN fine for each of the 3 kinds of PCNs served in Crawley Borough Council?

The 3 kinds of PCNs served in Crawley Borough Council are a Parking PCN, a Bus Lane PCN and a Moving Traffic PCN. 

The Penalty Charge Notice fine for a Crawley Borough Parking PCN is set at £70 for a higher level traffic violation and £50 for a lower level traffic violation. A 50% discount applies to early payment so If you pay your higher level parking PCN within 14 days, you just have to pay £35. Similarly, if you pay your lower level parking PCN within 21 days, you just have to pay just £25.

If you pay a Bus Lane PCN within 28 days, you will be charged £70 and if you pay it within 14 days, you just have to pay £35. The PCN fine for a moving traffic PCN in Crawley Borough Council is £70. There is a 50% discount for paying it within 14 days, which reduces the fine to £35.

What Can I Do If My Vehicle has been towed away?

If your vehicle has been towed away in the Crawley Borough Council you need to call 101 to ask the Sussex Police about the matter. If your vehicle was towed away for violating your driving license rules, you should have received a form 3078 (seizure notice) by post. Your inquiry will be addressed by the Sussex Police staff and in case your vehicle has been towed away you will have to visit the Crawley Police Station to get it released.

Next, you will be required to verify 2 kinds of ID documents such as a passport and a driving licence at the vehicle pound. You could also use 2 other combinations of documents such as your original birth certificate and your vehicle registration certificate. You should also have the insurance certificate for your vehicle and your V5C vehicle registration certificate (with you) unless this has already been used as one of the 2 ID documents.

Vehicles are seized by the Sussex Police under Section 165 A or the Road Traffic Act 1988 due to a violation of your driving license rules. You must remember to visit the vehicle pound within 7 days of the date mentioned on your form 3078. The amount of money you will need to unclamp your vehicle includes a £200 release fee and storage charges of £20 per day. So for example if your vehicle was towed away by a parking company 3 days ago, you will need (£20×3) + £200 = £260 to get it released from the vehicle pound. This vehicle release and storage charges are set under The Road Traffic Act 1998 (Retention and Disposal of Seized Motor Vehicles).

You should pay your Crawley Borough Council Parking PCN online before collecting the vehicle from the pound at the Crawley Police Station. But even if you just have £200 or £260 with you (for leaving your vehicle in the pound for up to 3 days), you can still pay the amount at the vehicle pound and claim your vehicle. It is more important to collect your vehicle from the Crawley Police Station than to pay your PCN fine because storage fees of £20 are being added every day and your vehicle will no longer be in the vehicle pound after 14 days.

As you will have to pay your Parking PCN within 14 days when you are recovering your impounded vehicle, it will cost you only £35. Your vehicle pound charges can vary so it is best to get it removed from there as soon as possible. For each week your vehicle is left in the pound you will have to pay £140 extra storage charges.

Once you contact the Sussex Police by dialling 101 and tell them your vehicle registration number you will be guided to the Crawley Police Station for recovering your impounded vehicle.

You will have to make the payment to release your vehicle from the Crawley Police Station by visiting the location in person with at least £200 in cash or available as credit on your payment card. The Sussex Police accepts Visa Card, Master Card, Maestro Card, and Solo Card for the payment of vehicle release and storage charges.

Crawley Police Station is located at this address :

Crawley Police Station,

Northgate Avenue,

Crawley RH10 8BF,

You can visit Crawley Police Station at any time between 8:00 am and 8:00 pm from Monday to Friday. Crawley Police Station is closed on weekends. Staff from the Sussex Police will be available at the pound to address your queries and for receiving the vehicle release charges.

You should have the 2 ID Documents, a copy of form 3078, your vehicle’s MOT certificate, and your vehicle registration certificate (if this is not your ID document).

If your vehicle has been towed away you need to go to the vehicle pound with a cash payment or payment card for payment of vehicle release charges and any vehicle storage expenses (incurred by the vehicle pound). Next, you need to pay the required charges and your vehicle is free. You must remember to recover your vehicle within 7 days from the vehicle pound. If you leave it there for more than 14 days the car might be scrapped or sold. 

If you wish to dispose of your vehicle instead, you will have to visit Crawley Police station within 14 days to pay the “statutory recovery fee” which consists of storage charges of £20 per day and a disposal fee. If you fail to make this payment by the 14th day, the Sussex Police will pass on your case to Enforcement Agents and will obtain a court order for the recovery of debts against you.

What will happen if I don’t pay my Crawley PCN within the 28-day limit?

If you neither pay nor decide to challenge your PCN from the Crawley Borough Council before the expiration of the 28-day limit you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The charge certificate increases your PCN fine by 50%. You should pay the charge certificate within 14 days as it cannot be appealed and ignoring the charge certificate may result in the filing of a court order for the recovery of debts against you by the Crawley Borough Council..

So, when the charge certificate is also not paid within 14 days, you will receive a “Notice of Debt Registration” and a witness certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The unpaid amount will be treated as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the Northampton County Court.

The court order for debt recovery enforces that the charge certificate amount must be paid in full within 21 days or it will have to sanction the use of additional powers (to your council) for recovering the money from your possession.\

Can I Dispute A Crawley PCN with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if the council dismisses my appeal?

Yes, you can dispute the decision of the Crawley Borough Council in your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. For this, you can use the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s website by clicking this link 

You can watch this instructional video here to learn about your challenge process. It clearly explains how to use the online service offered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. On the Traffic Penalty Tribunal webpage, you will first have to select the type of PCN you were served by the Crawley Borough Council (shown on the bottom part of the page) .

You will then be required to enter your Vehicle Registration Number, the reference number from the “Notice of Rejection” letter from the Crawley Borough Council, and your PCN number for which the appeal was rejected.

This challenge to an appeal dismissal by the Crawley Borough Council can only be made online. You can use the online service to challenge multiple “Notices of Rejection” simultaneously. You will require a valid email address to create an account on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You have to attach a copy of your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” letter to your application by using the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s online portal.This challenge should be submitted within 28 days of being sent your “Notice of Rejection”.

Scanned copies of evidence to strengthen your case such as a pay and display ticket, a written statement from an eyewitness or photographs of the scene can be added along with your explanation. The explanation of your case should be well worded and convince the tribunal of an error on the part of the Crawley Borough Council in adjudicating your case.

You will be able to contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator during the registration of your appeal. The result of your appeal will be communicated to you within 14-28 days of submission. If the adjudicator decides the case in your favour, the PCN will be cancelled by the Crawley Borough Council.


This blog post addressed the question “How Can I Challenge A Crawley PCN?”  It is essential for you to know the traffic contravention codes relating to the type of PCN you have been issued (Parking, Bus Lane, CCTV) and to also be aware of the operational hours during which these restrictions are enforced. This information has to be correctly mentioned in your PCN appeal, which has to be backed with evidence uploaded onto the Crawley Borough Council website.