This blog serves to answer the question “How Can I Challenge A BCP Council PCN?” Your BCP PCN challenge needs to be supported by at least one authentic evidence document or a photograph relating to the specific traffic violation. A formal representation needs to either explain your mitigating circumstances which led to your breach of the traffic restriction or it should clearly show how the contravention didn’t occur (by adding photos or video recordings from the scene).

How Can I Challenge A BCP Council PCN?

A PCN from the BCP Council can be challenged by compiling a list of reasons explaining your actions on the scene of the traffic violation, which are in conformity with the relevant traffic contravention code on your PCN. These grounds for your PCN appeal need to be supported by material evidence relating to the traffic violation scene. You should attempt to maintain a record of your road trips on a digital or smartphone camera, which can be operated by a passenger travelling with you. 

You can transfer recorded videos to your computer and extract snapshots from their scenes to use in your BCP PCN challenge. The photographs can also be printed to send in with your PCN challenge made through the postal service by arranging them in the correct order and attaching them with your formal representation by using a stapler or paper clip.

The grounds for your appeal can also include mitigating circumstances such as a genuine health emergency which should be supported by a medical certificate from a certified General Practitioner, preferably dated a week or so before your traffic violation. But this appeal should not involve reasons which display a lack of urgency or seriousness to avoid committing a certain traffic contravention.

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a monetary penalty issued to drivers or motorists for committing certain traffic contraventions including violating Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic restrictions. A PCN is issued for failing to follow Parking zone, bus lane enforcement, and moving traffic restrictions mentioned in the Road Traffic Act 1984 and the Traffic Management Act 2004.

A penalty charge notice can be handed to you by a Civil Enforcement Officer or dispatched to your (DVLA) residential address by post. Traffic contraventions are observed by CCTV cameras and Civil Enforcement Officers before a violation is detected and the vehicle is charged with a PCN.

A PCN might also be issued for failing to pay road charges on time. You have 28 days to decide how and if you would like to challenge your Penalty Charge Notice. After 28 days if you have neither paid nor challenged your PCN, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

If you don’t challenge a PCN, you should pay the fine within 28 days, otherwise its amount will increase by 50%. A £70 PCN will be worth £105 if you pay it in the 14 days after receiving your charge certificate.

What is the procedure for appealing against a BCP Council PCN?

You need to begin your BCP PCN challenge by recalling the events which led to your traffic violation and by listing down any mitigating circumstances which affected your actions that day. Only events and mitigating circumstances which can be explained by using photos or video evidence or other documents such as medical certificates (already in your possession) should be considered as grounds for an appeal.

Some details might occur to you a day or two after the incident as the information sinks in to reveal minute details. It is advisable to allow yourself up to 4 days to carefully review all the facts regarding your Parking, Bus Lane, or moving traffic contravention. If you are sure that the relevant contravention code was never breached, you can simply attach photo or video evidence or an (authentic) written statement from a bystander present at the scene with your BCP PCN challenge.

You need to visit the BCP Council website to submit a formal representation to your PCN. You need to open this webpage to enter your PCN Number and Vehicle Registration Number. Once these details have been correctly typed in you can click on “Continue” to view your PCN details. This payments and appeals service has the same account so you must be careful not to click on the PCN payment option after you log in.

Any CCTV evidence from the BCP Council can be viewed first along with other details regarding your traffic violation. After this, you can type in your formal representation and upload evidence documents.

It is essential to upload authentic evidence material with your PCN challenge to describe your mitigating circumstances to the BCP Council and for explaining your point of view of the events which took place at the traffic violation scene. The text of your appeal must state the relevant contravention code on your BCP PCN and explain how you attempted to avoid the error (supported by photos or video footage).

Once you have proofread your appeal to eliminate any reasons for your challenge which might convey a disregard for traffic contravention codes enforced in Bournemouth, Christchurch, and Poole council (by mixing up the contraventions) or reasons which involve forgetfulness to justify your actions, you can submit the formal representation

Another way to send in your BCP PCN challenge is by mail. You can write down a formal representation on paper and attach evidence documents or photographs to the form by using a stapler or paper clip. Your letter should mention your PCN number, date of issue of the PCN, your vehicle registration number, and personal details. 

You should remember to still view your PCN Details online (by entering your PCN number and vehicle registration number) before writing your BCP PCN appeal. Your PCN appeals form and all accompanying evidence documents (enclosed in an envelope) need to be sent to:

BCP Council,

Parking Administration,

PO Box 9548,



How Can I Pay my BCP PCN fine?

You can pay your BCP PCN fine on the online payments page, by sending a check or postal order through the mail or by calling on the BCP Council’s automated payments hotline.

If you choose to make your PCN fine payment online, you should visit the BCP council website. After opening this webpage, you can enter your PCN number and Vehicle Registration number. You need to click on “Continue” to search for your PCN details in the BCP Council’s online database.. In the next 2 steps of paying your PCN, you need to enter payment card details and complete the process by making your BCP PCN payment.  BCP Council accepts Mastercard, Visa Card, Maestro Card, and Visa Electron cards for PCN fine payments. 

You might want to call the BCP council’s automated payments hotline for paying your PCN instead. To pay by this method, you have to call on 01202 377 052. On the call, you will need to enter your PCN number and your payment card details.. You can use the * key to enter the letters in your PCN number. This payment hotline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You should wait to receive a confirmation code for your PCN payment before ending the call.

You can also pay your BCP PCN by sending a check or postal order payable to “BCP Council”. You also need to attach the payment slip in your “Notice To Owner” document to this payment. The check or postal order should have your PCN number and Vehicle Registration Number written on the back. This payment needs to be sent to:

Parking Administration,

BCP Council Civic Centre,

Bourne Avenue,



How much is the PCN fine for each of the 3 kinds of PCNs served in Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole Council?

A Parking PCN in Bournemouth, Christchurch, and Poole Council is served for violating higher or lower level parking restrictions. You have to pay £70 for committing a higher level parking contravention and £50 for a lower level parking contravention. If you pay the parking fine within 14 days, you will just be paying £35 or £25 as a 50% discount is applicable to your payment.

For failing to comply with a bus lane contravention code or a moving traffic restriction in BCP Council, you will be charged a £70 Penalty Charge Notice. The 50% early payment discount reduces both these types of PCN fines to £35 if a bus lane PCN is paid within 21 days and a moving traffic PCN is paid within 14 days

What Can I Do If My Vehicle has been towed away?

If your vehicle has been towed away from the BCP Council you need to call 101 to ask the Dorset Police about the matter. If your vehicle was towed away for violating your driving license rules, you should have received a form 3078 (seizure notice) by post. Your inquiry will be addressed by the Dorset Police staff and in case your vehicle has been towed away you will have to visit the GRS Vehicle Recovery Unit or Bourne Transport Services to get it released.

Next, you will be required to verify 2 kinds of ID documents such as a passport and a driving licence at th. You could also use 2 other combinations of documents such as your original birth certificate and your vehicle registration certificate. You should also have the insurance certificate for your vehicle and your V5C vehicle registration certificate (with you) unless this has already been used as one of the 2 ID documents.

Vehicles are seized by the Dorset Police under Section 165 A or the Road Traffic Act 1988 due to a violation of your driving license rules. You must remember to visit the specified vehicle recovery contractor within 7 days of the date mentioned on your form 3078. The amount of money you will need to unclamp your vehicle includes a £150 release fee and storage charges of £20 per day.

So for example if your vehicle was towed away by a parking company 3 days ago, you will need (£12×3) + £105 = £141 to get it released from the vehicle pound. These vehicle release fees and storage charges are set under The Road Traffic Act 1998 (Retention and Disposal of Seized Motor Vehicles).

You should pay your BCP Parking PCN online before collecting the vehicle from the pound at the Dorset Police vehicle recovery operators. But even if you just have £105 or £141 with you (for leaving your vehicle in the pound for up to 3 days), you can still pay the amount at the vehicle pound and claim your vehicle. It is more important to collect your vehicle from Bourne Transport Services or GRS Vehicle Recovery than to pay your PCN fine because storage fees of £12 are being added every day and your vehicle will no longer be in the vehicle pound after 14 days.

As you will have to pay your BCP Parking PCN within 14 days when you are recovering your impounded vehicle, it will cost you only £35. Your vehicle pound charges can vary so it is best to get it removed from there as soon as possible. For each week your vehicle is left in the custody of the Dorset Police you will have to pay £84 extra storage charges.

Once you contact the Dorset Police by dialling 101 and tell them your vehicle registration number you will be guided to either Bourne Transport Services or to the GRS Vehicle Recovery Unit for recovering your impounded vehicle. 

You will have to visit the Poole Police Station to verify all the documents related to your vehicle before your vehicle can be freed. The Dorset Police staff will guide you to the correct vehicle recovery operator once all your original documents have been submitted.

Poole Police Station is located at this address:

Poole Police Station,

Joint Emergency Services Building,

Wimborne Road,


BH15 2BP

You can visit the Poole Police Station at any time between 08:00 am and 5:30pm from Monday to Friday. You should have the 2 ID Documents, a copy of form 3078, your vehicle’s MOT certificate, and your vehicle registration certificate (if this is not your ID document). After all these documents have been verified by the Dorset Police staff, your vehicle seizure notice will be stamped to authorise the release of the vehicle. This vehicle seizure notice needs to be shown at the GRS Vehicle Recovery Unit or Bourne Transport Services to collect your impounded vehicle

You will have to make the payment to release your vehicle from either Bourne Transport Services Main Office or from the GRS Vehicle Recovery Unit by visiting the location in person with at least £105 in cash or available as credit on your payment card.

Before visiting these vehicle pounds, you need to contact them on the phone and book an appointment. You can book an appointment with Bourne Transport Services by calling 01202 912949 and mentioning your vehicle registration number. You have to visit the location on your specified appointment date and time.

You can book an appointment with GRS Vehicle Recovery by calling 01202593 939. You should call between 09:00 am and 04:00 pm from Monday to Friday. On the call you need to mention that the Dorset Police guided you to the GRS Vehicle Recovery contractor for picking up your impounded vehicle and also state your Vehicle Registration Number. Once your appointment is confirmed, you need to visit GRS Breakdown Recovery at the specified date and time with all your required documents and payment charges.

Bourne Transport Services is located at this address :

Unit 10-12,

Alders Hills,



BH12 4AL

You can visit Bourne Transport Services to collect your impounded vehicle from 09:00 am to 04:00pm from Monday to Friday.

GRS Vehicle Recovery Unit is located at this address:

GRS Recovery Unit,

J Elliot Road,


BH 11 8JR

You can visit the GRS Vehicle Recovery Unit at any time between 9:00 am and 06:00 pm from Monday to Friday.

You must remember to recover your vehicle within 7 days from the vehicle pound. If you leave it there for more than 14 days the car might be scrapped or sold.

What will happen if I don’t pay my BCP Council PCN within the 28-day limit?

You should not ignore traffic contraventions or the Penalty Charge Notices resulting from them or cultivate a careless attitude towards driving in BCP Council. As per your driving license rules, you are bound to abide by Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic contravention codes in BCP Council.

If you neither pay your BCP PCN within 28 days nor decide to appeal against it, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The charge certificate increases your PCN fine by 50%, which means you will be paying £105 (or £75 for a lower-level Parking PCN) now. You should pay the charge certificate within 14 days as it cannot be appealed and ignoring the charge certificate may result in the filing of a court order (for recovery of debts) against you by the Bournemouth, Christchurch, and Poole Council.

You will be sent a “Notice of Debt Registration” and a witness certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if you don’t pay the charge certificate amount within 14 days. The unpaid amount will be treated as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the Northampton County Court.

The court order for debt recovery enforces that the charge certificate amount must be paid in full within 21 days or the county court will have to use additional powers to recover the money from your possession which means employing Enforcement Agents to (contact you or) visit your personal premises.

Can I Dispute A West Northamptonshire PCN with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if the BCP Council dismisses my appeal?

Yes, you can dispute the decision of the Bournemouth, Christchurch, and Poole Council in your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The Traffic Penalty Tribunal website requires you to enter details given on your Notice of Rejection of Representations, after opening this webpage

You can watch this instructional video here to learn about your challenge process. The video clearly explains how to use the online service offered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. On the Traffic Penalty Tribunal webpage, you will first have to select the type of PCN you were served by the BCP Council (shown on the bottom part of the page).

After clicking on your specific type of Penalty Charge Notice, you should select “England” (Outside London). In the window which opens up, you should click on the orange box which reads “If you don’t agree with the PCN, you can make representations against it”.

After viewing the instructions on the following page, you need to click on “Start your appeal here” at the bottom of the webpage You will then be required to enter your Vehicle Registration Number, the reference number from the “Notice of Rejection” letter from the BCP Council, and your PCN number for which the appeal was rejected on this page.

You can use the online service to challenge multiple “Notices of Rejection” simultaneously. You will require a valid email address to create an account on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You have to upload a copy of your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” letter to your application by using the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s online portal.

You can upload evidence such as video clips of your traffic violation scenes (taken from inside your vehicle), medical certificates from a certified General Practitioner, maps of the area showing the exact distance your vehicle travelled inside a no-entry zone, and scanned copies of “pay and display” tickets. You should construct a strong appeals case to communicate your mitigating circumstances or to deliver your assertion that the traffic violation never occurred.

The Traffic Penalty Tribunal should be able to ascertain the legitimacy of your situation by viewing evidence material uploaded to the PCN appeals system.

Your appeal of the “Notice of Rejection of Representations” should be submitted to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal within 28 days of receiving your Notification of Rejection from the BCP Council. You must avail yourself of this chance of a free and independent hearing of your case. 

You will be able to contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator during the formulation of your appeal. The result of your appeal will be communicated to you within 14-28 days of submitting your representation. If the adjudicator decides the case in your favour, the PCN will be cancelled by the Bournemouth, Christchurch, and Poole Council.


This blog post addressed the question “How Can I Challenge A BCP Council PCN?” Your BCP PCN challenge should demonstrate awareness of Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic contravention codes enforced in the council. It is advisable to keep a map of the city council that states the contravention codes by location with you in your vehicle, or pasted on your dashboard so that you have a mental picture of these restrictions enforced along your daily route. All this helps to eliminate any reasons relating to forgetfulness or to a lack of awareness of traffic restrictions in place when you are challenging your PCN.