This blog serves to answer the question “How Can I Challenge A Barnsley PCN? It is essential to collect and maintain a record of your pay and display tickets, paid PCN fines, evidence of potentially mitigating circumstances for a traffic contravention such as a serious health condition, and collections of photographs of your daily journeys in Barnsley council. Your reason for contesting the PCN can occur to you after the incident but you should have evidence to match with the grounds for your challenge readily available.

How Can I Challenge A Barnsley PCN?

You can challenge a Barnsley PCN by writing a formal representation to your Penalty Charge Notice on the Notice To Owner document and sending it in by mail along with attached evidence material such as photographs of the scene or a paid parking permit. Before writing down your PCN challenge, you should be aware of the exact restrictions mentioned in the contravention code on your PCN. Once you have understood the grounds on which you can contest the PCN, you can proceed to mention these grounds and attach supporting evidence to back your formal representation.

You should also create a habit of memorising the traffic contravention codes enforced at different parking zones, road junctions and bus lanes along your daily route by matching them with their location. So when you stop at a road junction and see the sign in front of you, the name of the road you have to turn into (or should not turn into) should connect with its traffic contravention code in your head, say Code 32 which enforces one-way traffic.

You can always check the road signs in front of you but unless your mind understands beforehand how you have to drive your vehicle at the location or road turning, it can be risky to react to a traffic sign symbol within seconds without any prior preparation. Many times drivers have their thoughts occupied with work-related or other worries and this leads to a traffic violation where the only possible grounds for your appeal can be forgetfulness. 

Whether you choose to challenge your Barnsley PCN on the council website or by sending in your formal representation by mail, the most important aspect of this challenge is the quality and relevance of the evidence material included for supporting the grounds for your appeal.

It is essential that you formulate a strong appeals case before submitting your formal representation to the Barnsley Council so that you don’t end up with a Notice of Rejection of Representations from the council. The “Notice of Rejection” implies that your appeal has been refused.

In many cases, PCNs are not enforceable and you may be able to win your case and avoid having to pay your fine.

You could begin the process by speaking to an online solicitor for as little as £5. 

What is a Penalty Charge Notice?

A Penalty Charge Notice is a monetary penalty issued to drivers or motorists for committing certain traffic contraventions including violating Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic restrictions. A PCN is issued for failing to follow Parking zone, bus lane enforcement, and moving traffic restrictions mentioned in the Road Traffic Act 1984 and the Traffic Management Act 2004.

A penalty charge notice can be handed to you by a Civil Enforcement Officer or dispatched to your (DVLA) residential address by post. Traffic contraventions are observed by CCTV cameras and Civil Enforcement Officers before a violation is detected and the vehicle is charged with a PCN.

A PCN might also be issued for failing to pay road charges on time. You have 28 days to decide how and if you would like to challenge your Penalty Charge Notice. After 28 days if you have neither paid nor challenged your PCN, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

If you don’t challenge a PCN, you should pay the fine within 28 days, otherwise, its amount will increase by 50%. A £60 PCN will be worth £90 if you pay it in the 14 days after receiving your charge certificate.

What is the procedure for appealing against a Barnsley PCN?

You need to begin your Barnsley PCN challenge by recalling the events which led to your traffic violation and by listing down any mitigating circumstances which affected your actions that day. Only events and mitigating circumstances which can be explained by using photos or video evidence or other documents such as medical certificates (already in your possession) should be considered as grounds for an appeal.

Some details might occur to you a day or two after the incident as the information sinks in to reveal minute details. It is advisable to allow yourself upto 4 days for carefully reviewing all the facts regarding your Parking, Bus Lane or moving traffic contravention. If you are sure that the relevant contravention code was never breached, you can simply attach photo or video evidence or an (authentic) written statement from a bystander present at the scene with your Barnsley PCN challenge.

You need to visit the Barnsley Council website to submit a formal representation to your PCN. You need to open this webpage to enter your PCN Number and Vehicle Registration Number and a web code mentioned on your Penalty Charge Notice. Once these details have been correctly typed on you can click on “Continue” to view your PCN details.

Any CCTV evidence from the Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council can be viewed first along with other details regarding your traffic violation. After this you can type in your formal representation and upload evidence documents.

It is essential to upload authentic evidence material with your PCN challenge to describe your mitigating circumstances to the Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council and for explaining your point of view of the events which took place on the traffic violation scene. The text of your appeal must state the relevant contravention code on your Barnsley PCN and explain how you attempted to avoid the error (supported by photos or video footage).

 Your mitigating circumstances can help to explain why you were unable to for instance breach a restricted zone or failed to follow a no entry sign or made a banned turn. Video footage or photographs can show your efforts to evade the traffic violation, which demonstrates to the Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council that you were well aware of the Parking Bus Lane or Moving traffic restriction in place.

Once you have proofread your appeal to eliminate any reasons for your challenge which might convey a disregard for traffic contravention codes enforced in Barnsley Metropolitan Borough council (by mixing up the contraventions) or reasons which involve forgetfulness to justify your actions, you can submit the formal representation

You can also submit an informal representation to your Barnsley PCN (CCTV Bus Lane PCN or Parking PCN served by a CEO) by accessing your PCN details here. To access the form you need to enter your PCN number and vehicle registration number.

You have to fill out the informal representation form by typing your full name, email address, and the contents of your informal representation. Once you are sure that you have constructed a strong appeals case to make the council grant you a formal representation, you can send your form. The informal appeals stage is applicable to PCNs sent by post.

Another way to send in your Barnsley PCN challenge is by mail. You can write down a formal representation on paper and attach evidence documents or photographs to the form by using a stapler or paper clip. Your letter should mention your PCN number, date of issue of the PCN, your vehicle registration number and personal details. 

You should remember to still view your PCN details online (by entering your PCN number and vehicle registration number) before writing your Barnsley PCN appeal. Your PCN appeals form and all accompanying evidence documents (enclosed in an envelope) need to be sent to:

Parking Services,

PO Box 538,


S70 9BP

What Can I Do If My Vehicle has been towed away?

If your vehicle has been towed away from the Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council you need to call 101 to ask the South Yorkshire Police about the matter. If your vehicle was towed away for violating your driving license rules, you should have received a form 3078 (seizure notice) by post. Your inquiry will be addressed by the South Yorkshire Police staff and in case your vehicle has been towed away you will have to visit the Glassworks Building Police Station to get it released.

Next, you will be required to verify 2 kinds of ID documents such as a passport and a driving licence at the vehicle pound. You could also use 2 other combinations of documents such as your original birth certificate and your vehicle registration certificate. You should also have the insurance certificate for your vehicle and your V5C vehicle registration certificate (with you) unless this has already been used as one of the 2 ID documents.

Vehicles are seized by the South Yorkshire Police under Section 165 A or the Road Traffic Act 1988 due to a violation of your driving license rules. You must remember to visit the Glassworks Building Police Station within 7 days of the date mentioned on your form 3078. The amount of money you will need to unclamp your vehicle includes a £200 release fee and storage charges of £20 per day. So for example if your vehicle was towed away by a parking company 3 days ago, you will need (£20×3) + £200 = £260 to get it released from the vehicle pound. This vehicle release and storage charges are set under The Road Traffic Act 1998 (Retention and Disposal of Seized Motor Vehicles).

You should pay your Barnsley Parking PCN online before collecting the vehicle from the pound at the Glassworks Police Station. But even if you just have £200 or £260 with you (for leaving your vehicle in the pound for up to 3 days), you can still pay the amount at the vehicle pound and claim your vehicle. It is more important to collect your vehicle from the Glassworks Police Station than to pay your PCN fine because storage fees of £20 are being added every day and your vehicle will no longer be in the vehicle pound after 14 days.

As you will have to pay your Barnsley Parking PCN within 14 days when you are recovering your impounded vehicle, it will cost you only £35. Your vehicle pound charges can vary so it is best to get it removed from there as soon as possible. For each week your vehicle is left in the pound you will have to pay £140 extra storage charges.

Once you contact the South Yorkshire Police by dialling 101 and tell them your vehicle registration number you will be guided to the Glassworks Building Police Station for recovering your impounded vehicle.

You will have to make the payment to release your vehicle from the Glassworks Police Station by visiting Barnsley Town Centre in person with at least £200 in cash or available as credit on your payment card. The South Yorkshire Police accepts Visa Card, Master Card, Maestro Card, and Solo Card for the payment of vehicle release and storage charges.

The Glassworks Police Station, is located at this address :

The Glassworks Building,

Barnsley Town Centre,

South Yorkshire,

S70 1GW

You can visit the Glassworks Building Police Station at any time between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm from Monday to Friday. Staff from the South Yorkshire Police will be available at the pound to address your queries and for receiving the vehicle release charges. You must remember to be courteous to the police officers at the Glassworks Building Police Station, as your vehicle might be freed in a period of up to 2 or 3 hours.

You should have the 2 ID Documents, a copy of form 3078, your vehicle’s MOT certificate, and your vehicle registration certificate (if this is not your ID document). After all these documents have been verified by the South Yorkshire Police staff, your vehicle seizure notice will be stamped to authorise the release of the vehicle.

You should remember to take with you a cash payment of around £200 to £300 or your debit/credit card for payment of vehicle release charges and any vehicle storage expenses (incurred by the vehicle pound). Next, you need to pay the required charges and your vehicle is free.

 You must remember to recover your vehicle within 7 days from the vehicle pound. If you leave it there for more than 14 days the car might be scrapped or auctioned off by the South Yorkshire Police.

How Can I Pay my Barnsley PCN fine?

You can pay your Barnsley PCN fine on the online payments page, through Bank Transfer or cash deposit at any Barclays Bank branch or by calling on the Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council’s automated payments hotline.

If you choose to make your PCN fine payment online, you should visit the Barnsley Metropolitan Borough council website. After opening this webpage, you can enter your PCN number and Vehicle Registration number. You need to click on “Continue” to search for your PCN details in the Barnsley Council’s online database.. In the next 2 steps of paying your PCN, you need to enter payment card details and complete the process by making your Barnsley PCN payment.

You might want to call on Barnsley Council’s automated payments hotline for paying your PCN. To pay by this method, you have to call on 0333 1211 013. On the call, you will need to enter your PCN number and your payment card details. You can use the * key to enter the letters in your PCN number. This payment hotline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You should wait to receive a confirmation code for your PCN payment before ending the call.

You can also pay your Barnsley PCN in person at any Barclays Bank branch. You need to use the sort code 20-08-07 for making your payment. You need to send the payment to the account number 83851142. Your PCN number should also be mentioned in your bank wire details.

How much is the PCN fine for each of the 3 kinds of PCNs served in Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council?

A Parking PCN in Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council is served for violating higher or lower level parking restrictions. You have to pay £70 for committing a higher level parking contravention and £50 for a lower level parking contravention. If you pay the parking fine within 14 days, you will just be paying £35 or £25 as a 50% discount is applicable to your payment.

For failing to comply with a bus lane contravention code or a moving traffic restriction in Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council, you will be charged a £70 Penalty Charge Notice. The 50% early payment discount reduces both these types of PCN fines to £35, if a bus lane PCN is paid within 21 days and a moving traffic PCN is paid within 14 days

What will happen if I don’t pay my Barnsley PCN within the 28-day limit?

You should not ignore traffic contraventions or the Penalty Charge Notices resulting from them or cultivate a careless attitude towards driving in Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council. As per your driving license rules, you are bound to abide by Parking, Bus Lane, and Moving Traffic contravention codes in Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council.

If you neither pay your Barnsley PCN within 28 days nor decide to appeal against it, you will be sent a charge certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The charge certificate increases your PCN fine by 50%, which means you will be paying £105 (or £75) now. You should pay the charge certificate within 14 days as it cannot be appealed and ignoring the charge certificate may result in the filing of a court order (for recovery of debts) against you by the Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council.

You will be sent a “Notice of Debt Registration” and a witness certificate from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal, if you don’t pay the charge certificate amount within 14 days. The unpaid amount will be treated as a debt with the Traffic Enforcement Centre at the Northampton County Court.

The court order for debt recovery enforces that the charge certificate amount must be paid in full within 21 days or the county court will have to use additional powers to recover the money from your possession which means employing Enforcement Agents to (contact you or) visit your personal premises.

Can I Dispute A Barnsley PCN with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal if the Barnsley Council dismisses my appeal?

Yes, you can dispute the decision of the Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council in your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” with the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. The Traffic Penalty Tribunal website requires you to enter details given on your Notice of Rejection of Representations, after opening this webpage

You can watch this instructional video here to learn about your challenge process. The video clearly explains how to use the online service offered by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. On the Traffic Penalty Tribunal webpage, you will first have to select the type of PCN you were served by the Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council (shown on the bottom part of the page).

After clicking on your specific type of Penalty Charge Notice, you should select “England” (Outside London). In the window which opens up, you should click on the orange box which reads “If you don’t agree with the PCN, you can make representations against it”.

After viewing the instructions on the following page, you need to click on “Start your appeal here” at the bottom of the webpage You will then be required to enter your Vehicle Registration Number, the reference number from the “Notice of Rejection” letter from the Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council, and your PCN number for which the appeal was rejected on this page.

You can use the online service to challenge multiple “Notices of Rejection” simultaneously. You will require a valid email address to create an account on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website. You have to upload a copy of your “Notice of Rejection of Representations” letter to your application by using the Traffic Penalty Tribunal’s online portal.

You can upload evidence such as video clips of your traffic violation scenes (taken from inside your vehicle), medical certificates from a certified General Practitioner, maps of the area showing the exact distance your vehicle travelled inside a no-entry zone, and scanned copies of “pay and display” tickets. You should construct a strong appeals case to communicate your mitigating circumstances or to deliver your assertion that the traffic violation never occurred.

The Traffic Penalty Tribunal should be able to ascertain the legitimacy of your situation by viewing evidence material uploaded to the PCN appeals system.

Your appeal of the “Notice of Rejection of Representations” should be submitted to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal within 28 days of receiving your Notification of Rejection from the Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council. You must avail yourself of this chance of a free and independent hearing of your case. 

You will be able to contact the Traffic Penalty Tribunal adjudicator during the formulation of your appeal. The result of your appeal will be communicated to you within 14-28 days of submitting your representation. If the adjudicator decides the case in your favour, the PCN will be cancelled by the Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council.


This blog post addressed the question “How Can I Challenge A Barnsley PCN?”   It is crucial to maintain a video log of your road presence in Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council in order to successfully challenge a Moving Traffic or Bus Lane PCN. There is no other way of disproving the traffic contravention without showing evidence of how the situation you are describing in your challenge actually took place that day. Once you have authentic evidence readily available at hand, you can easily write down the grounds for your moving traffic or Bus Lane PCN appeal and submit the formal representation form.

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?