Gosport Council Tax Bands (All 8 Bands with their charges)
This blog will cover the topic “Gosport council tax bands.” It will talk in detail about the specific procedure of council tax payment in the Gosport Borough council. It will cover all the council tax bands and their charges according to the Gosport Borough council.
Gosport council tax bands
The general division of council tax bands all across the United Kingdoms is into 8 Bands, from A to H, Band A being the lowest while Band H being the highest.
Gosport Borough Council
The Gosport Borough Council is a Shire district council in England, with approximately 36,990 residential properties under council tax, and about 1,724 commercial properties under Business rates. Band B is the most common council tax Band in Gosport. The maximum council tax earned by the Gosport council is from Band B and Band C.
Gosport Borough Council is responsible for collecting the council tax for the properties in Gosport. The council tax collected from it is mostly distributed among Hampshire County Council, Hampshire Police and Crime Commissioner and Hampshire Fire and Rescue Authority, while the rest is kept by Gosport council. The council uses this tax amount to pay for the various services it provides.
The website of the council states that the council tax imposed by it on properties is a daily charge for each day or part of day which is charged annually on properties in advance. Most of the properties are subject to the Council Tax.the tax is charged per dwelling, be it a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat, and whether owned or rented.
The Gosport Borough council tax online portal has separate pages dedicated to explaining the residents about the Gosport Council tax bands and council tax charges, discounts and exemptions available to the council tax payers, provisions for people with disabilities, charges in case where a property is empty or unfurnished, local support, appeal provisions, and several other related provisions.
Gosport Band Charges for 2021-22
Gosport Borough Council Tax Bands are as per the price the respective properties had in April 1991.
The value of all the eight Bands in Gosport Borough Council Tax Bands are as follows:
- Band A up to, and including £40,000
- Band B between £40,001 and £52,000
- Band C between £52,001 and £68,000
- Band D between £68,001 and £88,000
- Band E between £88,001 and £120,000
- Band F between £120,001 and £160,000
- Band G between £160,001 and £320,000
- Band H more than £320,000
You can ascertain which council tax band your property in Gosport falls in through the online facility available at the website of the Valuation Office Agency.
After the covid outbreak, the Gosport council has increased its council tax charges by an average of £5 for a band D property. Reasoning, the council leader said they needed this budget increase in order to maintain and improve front line services, provide new facilities for people of all ages throughout the Gosport borough, help to tackle climate change, provide new homes for people of Gosport who are in need and put in place adequate funding to help in recovery, creation of regeneration and economic growth and delivery of jobs.
The following are the council tax charges for each of the corresponding council tax bands in Gosport:
Financial year 2021-22
- Band A : £1,255.39
- Band B : £1,464.63
- Band C : £1,673.86
- Band D : £1,883.09
- Band E : £2,301.55
- Band F : £2,720.02
- Band G : £3,138.48
- Band H : £3,766.18
As is clear with these rates, Band A is for the cheapest properties and charges the least, while Band H is for the most expensive properties and it charges the most.
How council tax is calculated
The online portal for Gosport Borough council provides the means to calculate your council tax based upon the gosport council tax band your property is in.
You can calculate the refund you might be able to get on your property if your property is rebanded and moved to a lower band. For that, you need to provide the current band in which your property is, and the month and year since when you are occupying the house. The calculation and information of the new band and charge is performed by the website.
This portal provides you with the moving that can be done for your tax banding, your current council tax and reduced council tax if your house is re-banded. You can also get a detailed breakdown of the amount specified for your council tax.
You can even get your council tax reduced by appealing before the valuation Tribunal against any reduction or support in your council tax. For that you need to fill up the online form available on the valuation tribunal’s website, which requires your name, address, postcode , email, telephone number, your preferred method of being contacted by the council – through post or email- the issue regarding which the appeal is, your permanent address, the name of your council and such details.
Who pays council tax in Gosport
Council Tax is a local tax that is applicable over all residential properties in the UK. The payment of this tax imposed is done by a person made ‘liable’ as per the rules. This ‘liable’ person is always one who is aged more than 18, responsible for that property, who can carry out the duties assigned to him, such as paying the bill or notifying the council of any changes.
Any person over 18, who resides in a property, or owns or rents a house, and is sufficiently able to do so, in general pays the council tax. A full Council Tax bill assumes at least 2 adults living on a property. Spouses, partners and adults who live together are jointly responsible for paying their council tax.
If there are more than one person living on a property, the person who is liable to pay council tax is determined by a system called the hierarchy of liability. The hierarchy goes from top to bottom. The topmost person is the one responsible for paying council tax, in whose absence, the next will be responsible and so on.
- First liability falls upon the resident owner-occupier who owns the freehold or leasehold of all or any part of the property.
- If there is no freeholder or leaseholder, council tax liability is that of the resident statutory tenant on an assured tenancy agreement, such as a council or private tenant.
- In absence of a tenant even, the liability is that of the resident who lives in the property, and is a licensee, that is, a person who is not a tenant but has permission to live there.
- If there is no licensee even, then any resident staying at the property, for example a squatter has to pay the council tax.
- As a last resort, if the property is not at all occupied by any resident, then the council tax liability falls upon the owner of the property who doesn’t live there
In the following situations, the landlord is responsible for paying the council tax in Gosport:
- If you are living in a house in multiple occupancy (HMO), that is, a house or flat that has been built or changed for living in by one or more people who are not part of the same household.
- If all the people living in a property.are under the age of 18.
- If the property is used by people who are seeking an asylum, and are living in accommodation provided by the UK Border Agency
- If the property is being used fir a temporary stay, while the current residents have their main homes somewhere else
- If the property is a care home, hospital, hostel for homeless people or women’s refuge.
Who does not count for council tax calculation
The following people are not regarded as ‘Adults’, and do not count for council tax reduction in Gosport:
- If everyone living on a property is a full-time student
- A property where a Foreign Language Assistants on the official British Council programme is staying in
- If all the persons living on a property are under 18.
- If the house is a rented one, where house support is provided, and there is a common kitchen and bathroom for every resident there.
However, even if your property is exempt from council tax payment in Gosport, the Gosport Borough council provides that you still need to register for Council Tax for that property so the council is aware of who is living in the property.
After registering on the website, you can then avail the applicable discounts or exemptions on the property.
This blog covered the topic “Gosport council tax bands.” It talked in detail about the specific procedure of council tax payment in the Gosport Borough council. It covered all the council tax bands and their charges according to the Gosport Borough council.
How much is Band A council tax Gosport?
The council tax for Band A in Gosport Borough council is £1,255.39, which is the cheapest Band in the council.
Do you pay council tax every month?
Council tax is an annual tax payment charged by your local council upon your property for the services provided by it. You can pay it in 10 months installments, with 2 months of no payment, or in 12 months installments.
Which council has the highest council tax?
The Blaenau Gwent council has the highest council tax with the council tax charge £2,078, while the top ten most expensive council tax boroughs include the Kingston-upon-Thames council, Merthyr Tydfil council, Neath Port Talbot council, Harrow council, Richmond-upon-Thames council, Bridgend council, Gateshead council, Nottingham council and Havering council. The cheapest councils in England include Westminster and Wandsworth at a council tax charge of just £828 and £845.
What is the highest council tax band?
Band H is the highest council tax band valued for properties more than £320,000, while Band A is the lowest council tax band including the properties below £40,000.
Is London council tax higher?
Yes, the London council tax has increased for the financial year 2021-22. In fact it has seen the biggest percentage increase as compared to any other council in England.