Does The Council Fit Gas Cookers?

While the council or housing association is responsible for repairs to your gas appliances, we will learn through the content of this blog post if council authorities will fit a gas cooker for their tenants or not. We will also explore how often councils replace kitchens; as well as the rights and responsibilities of council tenants depending on the type of their tenancy.

Does The Council Fit Gas Cookers?

No, the council does not fit gas cookers for tenants. According to Luton Council’s website, council authorities provide the following essentials for kitchens:

  • one sink unit and one double unit 
  • food preparation surface
  • ceramic tile splashback on the walls adjacent to sink units and food preparation areas

However, it is the tenant’s responsibility to arrange cookers and other kitchen equipment in a council house. You will need to make sure that you comply with the following: 

  • fire safety
  • ventilation
  • thermal performance

If you intend to fit a gas cooker at your own expense, you may be interested in knowing that a gas cooker can cost anywhere between £300 and £2000. In addition to this, there will be an installation cost of approximately £150. However, you will not be able to install a gas cooker on your own and will need the services of a Gas Safe Engineer. The average daily rate for them is estimated at around £30 to £100 per hour. This does not include a call-out fee.


Does The Council Replace Kitchens?

Unless there is a dire need for a kitchen replacement due to unforeseen circumstances, kitchen replacements are not undertaken by councils before the end of a 30-year period. However, small-scale alterations and instalments can be carried out by tenants with approval from the council.

In addition to the age of the property, the below criteria are essential for kitchen replacements in council houses:

  • A new kitchen has not been fitted in the past 30 years (these include referrals from social services).
  • No major repairs have been carried out in the recent five years.
  • The tenant has not applied to purchase their council house under the Right To Buy scheme.

Do You Need Building Regulations To Install A Gas Cooker?

Yes, you need to abide by Building Regulations to install a gas cooker. 

Building Regulations have been set to assure that the health and safety of the residents will not be compromised in any way as a result of the said modifications to the property. 

These include the following:

  • Structural changes such as house extensions or conversions should not affect a load-bearing wall, beam or chimney breast or which will make access to property difficult. 
  • There should be no electrical safety concerns due to the addition of fuse boxes or plugs, or a change of electrics that causes new electrical wiring.
  • Installation of heating appliances such as a boiler, radiator or fuel-burning appliance should be managed with extreme caution.
  • There should be no concern for fire hazards due to construction work and the escape route (of the added/converted section to the premises) must comply with fire safety standards.

Do You Need The Council’s Permission For Home Improvements?

In case of home improvements, you may have to seek permission from the council authorities prior to work commencing on the property. The expense of most of the following may be reimbursed by the council:

  • Kitchen sink and work surfaces 
  • Toilet, bath, shower, wash-basin
  • Storage cupboards 
  • Heating equipment 
  • Radiator valves
  • Insulation
  • Draught-proofing 
  • Double glazing or other window replacement
  • Rewiring, and fixing electrical fittings (including smoke detectors)

Does Tenancy Type Affect Home Improvements?

There are certain home improvements that tenants can manage on their own but this depends on the type of their tenancy. Assured tenants have the authority to install a new kitchen or an extension for home improvements.

Meanwhile, starter tenants may only be allowed to conduct minor repairs inside their house, while fixed-term tenants may not be allowed to make any changes. 

Assured tenants on the other hand can carry out interior and exterior decor as well as home improvement tasks such as installing new bathrooms or a fireplace or even building an extension or greenhouse. Still, you must attain written permission from your social housing landlord or housing association prior to the start of any such work on the property.

Can You Get A Grant For Home Improvements?

Families on a low income can first contact their local council office if they are in need of grants for home improvement. The local authorities may offer them to adapt, repair or improve their home; depending on the applicant’s circumstances and requirement for changes. 

The local council may be able to provide grants (and interest-free loans in certain cases) for labour, tools and material required for repair work, free or low-cost surveys or even connect you to builders who can carry out the home improvement project at a subsidised fee. 

Another option available to low-income families is to contact Home Improvement Agencies that provide financial assistance.


The discussion in this article makes it clear that council authorities do not provide gas cookers for their tenants. In fact, if you are planning to instal one, you will need to seek professional services and abide by Building Regulations to ensure safety.

FAQs: Does The Council Fit Gas Cookers?

Can anyone install a gas oven?

No, anyone cannot install a gas oven. To ensure safety, such installations should only be carried out by a competent, qualified and registered gas engineer.

Can I install a gas cooker myself?

While you may be able to install a gas cooker on your own, the law requires you to have a Gas Safe Engineer supervise such work.

How much does it cost to fit a gas cooker?

A gas cooker can cost anywhere between £300 and £2000. In addition to this, there will be an installation cost of approximately £150. You will also need the services of a Gas Safe Engineer. The average daily rate for them is estimated at around £30 to £100 per hour.

Do you need a certificate to fit a gas cooker?

Yes, you need a certificate to fit a gas cooker as the law requires that a gas cooker can only be fitted by a certified Gas Safe Engineer.

Are gas cookers being phased out?

Yes, gas cookers are being phased out and will be completely banned by 2025. They are being replaced with alternatives that follow energy-efficient measures.


Kitchen and bathroom replacement

Council House – Applying for a new Kitchen and Bathroom – Home Swap.

Repairs and maintenance in your council house

Help with home improvements – Citizens Advice

What can I expect from my new council home?

Gas Cooker Installation Cost: 2021 Fitting Price Comparison UK