Does Redundancy Pay Show On P60?

This blog answers the question “Does Redundancy Pay Show on P60?” A P 60 form shows the amount of taxes you paid on your salary in the current taxation year. Redundancy payments are declared on an RP1 form (not a P60 form).

Does Redundancy Pay Show On P60?

No, Redundancy Pay does not show on a P60 form. P 60 is only for declaring your annual tax returns. It is also known as an Employment Detail Summary form. Redundancy Pay is claimed by using the RP 1 form. Such a form is used to claim unpaid tax, apply for tax credits and as a proof of your income in a mortgage application process.

Your P60 shows the taxes you paid on your salary during the tax year (which runs from April 6 to April 5). You will receive a separate P60 for each of your jobs each tax year.

If you work for an employer on April 5th, they must give you a P60. They must submit it on paper or electronically by May 31st of the same year.

You need your P60 to show how much tax you have paid on your salary, for example:

  • For recovery of overpaid tax
  • For application for tax credits
  • as evidence of income from your job when applying for a loan or mortgage

Where Do I Declare Redundancy Payments?

Redundancy payments are declared using a redundancy payments application form (RP1).

You can use a RP 1 form to claim redundancy pay if you have been employed for 2 years or more, or to claim holiday pay, if you have been employed for one month or longer. A redundancy payments application form can also be used to claim unpaid wages.

To be eligible to apply for redundancy pay you need to be a UK citizen and have proof of being employed at the business from which you are claiming redundancy pay. 

When applying for claiming redundancy pay you will require the following information:

  • A CN number (on your tax returns)
  • Your National Insurance Number
  • An email address for your account
  • Your bank account or building society number
  • The date on which you were made redundant
  • Information about any debts you may have towards your employer
  • All correspondence between you and your employer
  • Your holiday entitlement and the number of day you have taken off
  • Information regarding any unpaid debts your employer may have with you

You can apply online using the service on this link

Open this link and click on start now to begin your redundancy application. It takes at least 6 weeks for your claim to be processed

The maximum redundancy payment which you can be awarded for each claim is £489 a week.

You cannot claim redundancy pay from a company which has filed for bankruptcy.

What is Statutory Redundancy Pay?

Statutory Redundancy Pay is a compensation payment to a worker whose services are no longer needed by the employer because the company plans to reduce the workforce or downsize business activities. A worker laid off under the statutory redundancy condition would have kept their job in better economic times or if their job was more essential to the organization.

So with this justification for a layoff a worker must be awarded monetary compensation in the form of Statutory Redundancy Pay. A worker is normally entitled to getting Statutory Redundancy Pay if they have spent at least 2 years in the service of their employer.

You will have:

  • half a week’s salary for each full year under age 22
  • weekly earnings for each full year you were 22 or older but under 41
  • one and a half weeks of pay for each full year you were 41 or older

The term of service is limited to 20 years.

Your weekly salary is the average salary you earned during the 12 weeks preceding the date of your termination.

If you were laid off on or after April 6, 2022, your weekly wage cannot exceed £ 571 and the maximum statutory severance pay you can get on it is £ 17,130. In case of redundancy before 6 April 2022, these amounts will be lower.

You are not entitled to Statutory Redundancy Pay if:

  • your employer offers to keep you
  • your employer offers you a suitable replacement job offer which you reject unnecessarily
  • You have been fired for a breach of company policy. Such dismissals are not considered as a “redundancy”

You are not eligible for getting Statutory Redundancy Pay if you are included in the following categories:

  • former registered dock workers (subject to other regimes) and shared fishermen
  • servants of the crown, members of the british armed forces or a member of the Metropolitan Police Service
  •  students at the end of the training course without a job
  • a housekeeper from the close relatives of the employer

What happens to my company pension when I am made redundant?

Once you know what kind of pension you have (see definitions above), how much you need to live on, and what the tax implications are, you need to decide whether to leave it there or move it somewhere else.

Defined benefit pension plans are usually used by companies. In case you are fired, you must stop making deposits into one. You are also recommended to do the following:

  • Leave your pension in the system. So that when you retire you can benefit from pension income.
  • Transfer your existing pension to a new employer’s system 
  • Transfer your pension deposit into your own personal pension 
  • Choose the option for early retirement (if you are 65 years of age)

What effect does a redundancy payment have on my working tax credits claim?

If you are already claiming working tax credits, you must tell HMRC if you are made redundant and therefore no longer work enough hours to qualify for a tax credit. You may qualify for a four-week grace period for the working tax credit.

 If you find another job within 7 days you should still be eligible for employment tax credit (given that the job meets the minimum work hours requirements) but you must give details of the new employer to HMRC .

Your starting income for tax credit purposes is equal to your taxable severance pay.


This blog post addressed the question “Does Redundancy Pay Show On P60?” Redundancy Pay does not show on a P60 form, as that form is only for recording current salary payments. A RP 1 form shows your awarded redundancy pay and is also used to claim statutory redundancy pay following a redundancy.

Please feel free to comment on the content or ask any questions in the comments section below :

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) : Does Redundancy Pay Show On P60?

What if I get items other than cash as my redundancy payment?

Your compensation package may include items such as the use of a car, fuel, housing, or a low-interest loan.You will be taxed on the “cash value” of the relevant property for each year to the extent that the cash value plus any money actually received exceeds £30,000

 If you have a loan from your employer and it is canceled as part of a severance package it is fully taxable even if the full value of your package is less than £30,000

Can I claim refunds for amounts withheld from my earnings when I am made redundant?

Yes, you can claim refunds for amounts withheld from your earnings when you were made redundant by your employer.

It is possible to request a refund of any amount withheld so far in the tax year if you become unemployed on the basis of unused personal allowances However, since your final tax payable is calculated annually, when you owe a refund depends on your taxable income from the time you were made redundant and the end of the official tax year..

If you start another job and give your new employer a P45 from your old job, your new employer should refund you any tax overpayments.

If you are starting a new job and cannot provide them with a P45, you need to request them to mark a checklist of the same form. HMRC will then restore your tax status by the end of the tax year which is after April 5th

If you do not start a new job, it is possible to obtain a temporary reimbursement of social charges unless you are getting taxable benefits such as unemployment benefits. For this refund you will need to complete a P50 form

There are different repayment thresholds depending on your student loan repayment plan

Can I claim redundancy pay as the director of a company?

HMRC will consider your claim for redundancy pay as the director of a company if:

  • The company has been incorporated and marketed for more than 2 years
  • You worked at least 16 hours per week
  • You had an employment contract, written memorandum or other agreement as evidence of your work situation. If you do not have a copy of a written agreement, HMRC may ask you to send them the details of the “terms of your employment”
  • You have been receiving your salary and company dues under a PAYE system

As evidence of your claim, you will also need to provide HMRC with the following information:

  • your bank details
  • your social security number
  • Your email address
  • Start date of your employment
  • the date of your contract cancellation
  • the date of your last day at the office
  • your gross salary amount
  • Any gap periods in your employment
  • the number of vacation days you are entitled to and the vacation days you have taken from these
  • The details of wages and other amounts owed to you by your employer
  • The information about any debts you still have to your employer 

HMRC will also ask for the following details regarding your Directorship:

  • Were you also a shareholder of the company where you were appointed as Director
  • How much did you earn as Director in the last 3 tax years before being unemployed? 
  • Have you been paid less than the minimum wage for a Director, over the past 3 years

If you also intend to make a claim for loss of notice pay, we may also ask you:

  • if you have been responsible for initiating discussions with the trustee and, if not, for providing details to the managing director
  • the date on which the trustee was contacted
  • the date on which the trustee communicated the formal bankruptcy of the company

Once your application has been received, you may be requested to provide extra information by HMRC including:

  • Wage slips
  • Dividends Recieved
  • Company Accounts and Bank Statements
  •  P60 forms


Redundancy Payments Act 1965