Does LCS Work For The HMRC For Debt Collection?

If you want to know whether LCS worlds for the HMRC for debt collection, you will find the answer to your question in the following blog post. In addition to this, we will also discuss the consequences of not being able to pay your debt as well as suggest free debt advisors who can guide you on how to handle your debt in such cases.

Does LCS Work For The HMRC For Debt Collection?

Yes, LCS works for the HMRC for debt collection. LCS is one of the UK’s leading debt resolution agencies that has been working in this field for more than 20 years now. They are one of the debt collection agencies that work for utility companies in the UK as well as the Government. 

If there are tax arrears or any other dues that individuals owe to the UK Government and these debts have not been successfully recovered despite efforts made by the relevant Government bodies, the HMRC usually contacts a debt collection agency such as LCS to collect this debt on their behalf.

If you have been contacted by an LCS representative and you owe the HMRC some amount, you should know that the contact made by LCS is on the instructions of the HMRC. 

In most cases, LCS representatives will either call debtors, send them a letter or an email and indicate a due date for clearance of their debt. If you are unable to clear your dues with a one-time lump sum payment, you can work out an instalment-based repayment plan with LCS.

If you need debt advice before responding to the correspondence from LCS, you can seek free debt advice from Citizen’s Advice or Stepchange Debt Charity. 

Whether you are contacted via phone call, letter or email by LCS, you can contact them and discuss your case with them before the due date indicated by them for collection of debt. 

You can call the LCS office at the phone number indicated in their communication with you. Alternatively, you can call them at 0344 543 9001 between Monday and Friday from 8 am to 8 pm or on Saturday between 9 am and 1 pm.

You can also write to them at the following address:


Apson House 

Bullerthorpe Lane 



LS15 9JN

On the other hand, if you have reason and evidence to believe that don’t owe any amount to the HMRC and have been contacted by LCS in error, you do not have to pay a debt that you are not sure belongs to you in the first place. 

In this case, you should ask the debt collectors to provide you with a copy of the original credit agreement that can serve as evidence of the debt you owe (and if you owe the amount).

Additionally, one should not commit verbally or in writing to the payment of a debt that they are not sure of being owed by them. The same will apply if you do owe a debt but believe the amount mentioned by LCS to be erroneous.

What Happens If You Cannot Repay Your Debt To The HMRC?

If you cannot repay your debt to the HMRC or through a debt collector such as LCS, the following actions can be taken against you:

  • a County Court Judgement can be issued against you
  • bailiffs can visit your house to recover goods that meet the value of the debt
  • an attachment of an earnings order or a charging order can be issued against you

Being a debt collection agency, LCS will have the same legal powers as your original creditor and can chase you for repayment of your debt. However, they will not be able to enter your house to claim valuables on their own, call you at inconvenient times or harass you. 

Can You Get Debt Advice If LCS Contacts You On Behalf Of HMRC?

Yes, you can get debt advice and that too free of cost if LCS contacts you for debt collection on behalf of HMRC. You can contact either of the following professional debt advisors to seek advice regarding your debt:


The above discussion brings us to the conclusion that LCS is one of the many debt collection agencies that collect debts from individuals that are owed to the HMRC. If someone is contacted by an LCS representative, they should prepare themselves to repay their HMRC debt either in lump sum amount or through a mutually agreed repayment plan.


What will happen if you do not pay your tax bill – GOV.UK