Does HMRC Send Tax Credits Letter In A Freepost Envelope?

If you are wondering whether or not HMRC sends Tax Credits letters in a freepost envelope, you will find the answer to your question in the blog post below. In addition to this, we will also discuss how to differentiate between correspondence from HMRC and a potential scam.

Does HMRC Send Tax Credits Letter In A Freepost Envelope?

No, HMRC does not send Tax Credits letters anymore in a free post envelope. As a matter of fact, it has been a few years since HMRC stopped sending freepost letters with regard to benefits claims or tax-related matters.

If you’ve received a free post envelope with a letter regarding Tax Credits (whether or not it claims to be from HMRC), it is highly likely that it is a scam; especially if they ask you for any personal or financial details or a fee to help you claim Tax Credits.

HMRC has posted warnings against such scams on its website and social media handles warning claimants to be careful about any form of correspondence that claims to be from them and indicates any of the following:

  • rushing you to take action
  • threatening you of consequences
  • unexpected and out of the blue
  • asking for personal information such as bank details
  • telling you to transfer money
  • offering a refund, rebate or grant

Many scammers will appear to be authentic and may even copy the HMRC logo, font and writing style when they communicate with claimants. However, one should remain mindful of the above-listed features. If you are still in doubt, you should call the HMRC Tax Credits helpline at 0345 300 3900 from Monday to Friday, between 8 am to 6 pm.

You can also seek support and guidance through the community forums on HMRC’s official website to see what other claimants are commenting or posting about situations similar to yours.

HMRC encourages claimants to report scams to them so that appropriate actions can be taken by them. If you suspect that the Tax Credits letter that you’ve received in a freepost envelope is a scam, you should report it to the HMRC.

How Do I Contact HMRC For My Tax Credits Claim?

There are different ways to contact HMRC regarding a Tax Credits claim. Below is a list to help you find the most convenient way to contact them:

  • login to your Personal Tax Account using your Government Gateway user ID and password
  • use HMRC’s digital assisstant
  • tweet to them @HMRCcustomers
  • call the helpline at 0345 300 3900 
  • write to them at the following address:

Tax Credit Office

HM Revenue and Customs


United Kingdom

What Should You Do If You Are Scammed By A Fake Tax Credits Letter In A Freepost Envelope?

If you’ve been a victim of a scam by responding to the letter you received in a freepost envelope, you should also inform HMRC. you should also inform Action Fraud either online or by calling them at 0300 123 2040.

At the same time, you should also change the passwords of your online banking applications, websites and your email ID connected to any financial records.

If you’ve provided your bank account details, and debit or credit card number in response to a scam letter, you should immediately inform your bank and get your cards blocked and account frozen so that a payment is not released to the scammers.

However, if the amount has already been withdrawn from your bank account, debit or credit card, you may not be able to get a refund, but your complaints may be successful in tracing the scammers.


The above discussion brings us to the conclusion that HMRC does not send Tax Credits letters in a freepost envelope as claimants are expected to renew or file claims online. If you’ve received such a letter, chances are that it is a scam and should be reported to the authorities.


Scams warning for tax credits customers – GOV.UK

How do I contact HMRC about tax credits?

Identify tax scam phone calls, emails and text messages – GOV.UK