Do You Have To Pay Council Tax If You Have No Fixed Abode?

This blog post will help in learning about whether or not someone who has no fixed abode has to pay council tax or not. In addition to this key point of focus, we will also explore if individuals with no fixed abode can get any support to avoid homelessness or to meet living expenses.

Do You Have To Pay Council Tax If You Have No Fixed Abode?

No, you don’t have to pay council tax if you have no fixed abode. There can be different reasons for not having a fixed abode or a permanent address. You may not have a fixed abode if you live on a boat or a caravan. You may also not have a fixed abode if you live with different friends or family on certain days of the week/month/year or if you live across towns or cities for work or education. 

However, whatever reason you may have for not having a fixed abode, you will not be responsible for council tax payments.

When it comes to the liability for council tax payments, it lies primarily with the owner or tenant(s) of a property. Since this liability is based on a certain hierarchy, in the absence of either an owner or tenant, a licensee resident or even a squanderer will become liable for council tax payments on a property.

Even if you choose to live with family or friends at certain times of the year but don’t treat their house as your “main residence”, you will be considered a “disregarded person” when it comes to council tax payments.

This means that if you declare yourself as having no fixed abode and choose to spend some time living with friends or family, you will still be considered as a disregarded person by the council authorities and will therefore have no responsibility towards council tax payments.

If you have no fixed abode, you may be exempt from council tax payments but you will also find it difficult to receive official post due to lack of a physical address. There have been instances in which individuals with no fixed abode have registered the postal address of a friend or family as a shared address. 

However, if the friend or family member has been availing the single-person discount on their council tax discount by getting a 25% reduction on their bill, they may lose the discount if another adult is added to their postal address.

Can You Get Housing Support If You Have No Fixed Abode?

Yes, you can get housing support if you have no fixed abode due to homelessness. 

If someone has no fixed abode and is found to be living on the streets, in unhygienic or overcrowded conditions, local council authorities can provide them with emergency shelter on an immediate basis. 

Your local council office can also help you with the following solutions if you lack a fixed abode because of homelessness:

  • provide support and advice for housing
  • accommodate you in an emergency shelter
  • help you get back to your home if it is possible
  • provide support and assistance if you need help finding a home 
  • provide you with a council home for long-term housing

What Other Help Can You Get If You Have No Fixed Abode?

If you have no fixed abode due to a low income, you may be able to claim the below-listed welfare benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • New Style Employment and Support Allowance
  • New State Pension
  • Basic State Pension
  • Child Benefit
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Local Welfare Provision
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Bereavement Benefits

In addition to this, if you claim any of the following benefits for at least six months, you can also apply for a Budgeting Loan from the DWP to help you with basic housing costs and living expenses:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit

However, if you have no fixed abode, you may find it difficult to open a bank account and receive benefits payments.


The above discussion has clearly highlighted that individuals who have no fixed abode are not due for council tax payments. As a matter of fact, if some lack a fixed abode and are at risk of homelessness, they can seek support for housing and benefits through their local council.


Disregarded persons

Council Tax – Home