This blog post will provide you with a piece of information about using a T-mobile phone on Sprint. It covers topics like eligibility criteria to unlock the T-mobile phones and compatibility checking. It will also provide you with the most commonly used Sprint phone plans.
Can you use a T-mobile phone on Sprint?
Yes, you can use a T-Mobile phone on Sprint if the device is unlocked. If you are planning to switch to the Sprint network with your old device, first you need to check if the device is compatible with the Sprint network. To check the compatibility just visit the official Sprint website.
Are Sprint and T-mobile the same?
Yes, the Sprint brand has officially been discontinued and is successfully acquired by T-Mobile. If you have network-capable phones then it can take advantage of both CDMA and GSM services. This is possible because of the roaming agreements between T -mobile and Sprint.
Basics of network providers
We will discuss the basics of both network carriers.
What is T-mobile?
T-Mobile is the third-largest wireless network provider in the United States. T-Mobile is a German telecommunication industry and it has some investments in other mobile communication industries in the United States
T-Mobile USA has a network sharing agreement with Cingular Wireless, an American mobile operator. Due to this, T- mobile has access to some top markets in the USA.
Key features of T-mobile
- Monthly installment plans are offered for T Mobile phones.
- More priority is always given to the T-Mobile subscribers on the network over other subscribers. This is a prime important factor in case of network congestion.
- T mobile offers some better additional options, for example, international talk and data add-ons.
- T mobile network provider has an excellent customer service record.
- Some extra perks are offered only for T-Mobile subscribers.
Is T-mobile GSM or CDMA?
T-mobiles is a GSM network carrier and not a CDMA network carrier. GSM stands for global system for mobile, and it is second-generation cellular technology. T-mobile is a GSM network carrier used for mobile voice and data services. The term CDMA stands for code division multiple access.
What is a Sprint mobile?
The Sprint Corporation was an American telecommunication industry. Before the merging Sprint was the fourth-largest cell phone network operator in the United States. The Boost mobile and Open mobile were subsidiaries of the Sprint mobile network. The Sprint brand has officially been discontinued and is successfully acquired by T-Mobile as of August 3, 2020.
Is Sprint GSM or CDMA?
The older network of Sprint uses CDMA technology. The Sprint brand has officially been discontinued and is successfully acquired by T-Mobile in April 2020. If you have network-capable phones then it can take advantage of both CDMA and GSM services. This is possible because of the roaming agreements between T -mobile and Sprint.
Key points of T-mobile and Sprint merger
- If you have an older Sprint phone which supports only CDMA networks then it will not work properly with T-Mobile’s GSM services. In this case, you need to upgrade the phone device.
- CDMA (older 3G network) will be retired as of 31st March 2022.
- LTE network of Sprint will be retired as of 3oth March 2022.
- You need to replace the Sprint sim card with a T-mobile sim card.
- For the voice calls, ensure that VoLTE( Voice over LTE) is enabled.
- The customers who hold older Sprint devices will not be able to access the CDMA network after 1st January 2022.
- If you have a Sprint mobile plan, you can continue your service without any change. You can switch to T-mobile, but it will not be considered as a new account.
- If you transfer to T-mobile, you are not eligible for added benefits for new T-mobile customers.
Does T-Mobile unlock phones for free?
Yes, you can get your T-Mobile unlocked for free if the device satisfies the unlocking eligibility criteria, like it was sold by T-Mobile, has no dues, and satisfies the contract.
T-Mobile unlock codes
There is a unique code word to unlock a particular mobile phone. Using this codeword mobile devices can be unlocked.
Once the phone is unlocked, we can insert a SIM card from other wireless carriers. Generally, it is required when you are traveling internationally. So using unique codewords, one can unlock T-Mobile.
Eligibility criteria to unlock T-mobile phone
One can unlock T-mobile phone devices, provided that the following criteria are satisfied.
- The cell phone must be sold by T-mobile.
- The cell phone should not be reported as blocked or lost.
- An account concerned with the device must be active.
- Depending upon prepaid or postpaid plans, the device should satisfy all necessary unlock requirements.
- You cannot unlock more than two lines in a year.
- All your bills must be clear.
How to Unlock a T-mobile device?
To unlock a T-mobile phone, you need to enter an unlock code. The following steps are used to unlock the T-mobile device.
- First, check whether your cell phone is eligible for unlocking.
- Request customer care for unlock code.
- Insert a blocked SIM and switch on the device.
- Press the select key and enter unlock code.
Unlock using Mobile Device Unlock App
T-mobile has already installed the “DEVICE UNLOCK APP”.
Following steps are used to unlock the T-mobile device using per installed app.
- Select the ‘make’ of mobile phone which is locked to T-mobile and then use “ Device Unlock App Service”.
- You will receive an email that will inform you that the “IMEI” number of your phone is registered on the T-mobile server for unlocking.
- Insert a new SIM card and select the “permanent unlock” option on the device unlock app.
- A pictorial representation to unlock T-mobile device is as follows
Unlocking T-Mobile device for Military Personnel
- For T-Mobile customers in the Military, the device will be unlocked on request if the person is relocated outside T-mobile coverage.
- This unlocking service is applicable even if the device is in the locking period after the activation.
How to use T-Mobile Unlock Service?
Outside of T-Mobile service to unlock your phone, there are different paid services to unlock it for you.
If you do not meet the T-mobile family mobile service’s carrier eligibility criteria, you can go for these paid unlock services. Though these services are legal gray area.
These services are hassle-free, you just need to provide them with your IMEI number (International mobile equipment identifier). You can get it by using the following steps.
- iPhone – Settings > General > About then finding the “IMEI” number.
- Android – Settings > About Phone > Status then finding the “IMEI” number.
How to check the compatibility of your phone?
Even if you have an unlocked phone, you need to check the compatibility of your device. Use the IMEI number to check whether your device is compatible or not.
How to check IMEI?
To check the IMEI number of your device following steps are used.
- From the Home screen, select Main Menu.
- Scroll to and select Settings.
- Scroll to and select Phone Settings.
- Scroll to and select Phone info.
- Scroll to and select Version info.
- Scroll to and view the IMEI.
To get the number use the following steps
Go to” Settings “then click on “ About Phone”, then select” Status.”
- Windows phone
Go to Settings > About, then More information.
Go to Settings > General, then About.
On the dial pad screen, press *#06#, and you will see the IMEI. Some phones require you to press the send key after the code.
Once you have the IMEI number you can directly go to https://imei.net/carrier/t-mobile-imei-check/ enter your IMEI number there and click on check.
How to get a new sim card Sprint?
You can just buy a new Sprint device and get a newsprint SIM card with it. The device will have a SIM card that connects it to the Sprint network. You can either buy the Sprint phone online through the official Sprint Website or you can just visit the Sprint store.
While getting the device, go through all the plans, offers and choose the one that suits your work and is also economical.
Sprint phone plans
The major unlimited Sprint mobile plans are summarized in the following table.
|Unlimited basic||$60||50 GB||500 MB||NA|
|Unlimited plus||$70||50 GB||50 GB||Hulu and Tidal|
|Unlimited premium||$80||100 GB||100 GB||Hulu, Tidal, Amazon prime membership, Lookout|
As far as deprioritization is concerned, T- mobile has an edge. The prices are almost similar. But if you want more perks then Sprint will be a better option.
Below are other T-Mobile articles you may be interested in:
This blog explains to you all the ways by which you can use a T-Mobile phone on sprint. This blog gives you details about unlocking the phone, checking the compatibility of your phone device. It also enlights on the major cellphone plans of Sprint.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs): Can you use a T-mobile phone on Sprint?
Can you use a Sprint SIM card in an unlocked phone?
Yes, you can use a Sprint SIM card for a domestically unlocked phone. On the official Sprint website there is a list of all the devices which are compatible with Sprint SIM cards, once unlocked.
What is stored on Sprint SIM?
The Sprint SIM card can store contacts, a few text messages, and some other carrier-related information. Other media files and documents are not stored.
Can I use a Sprint SIM card in T-Mobile phones?
If the device is unlocked, you can use your sprint SIM card with T-Mobile phones.
Is Sprint T-Mobile now?
Yes, the Sprint brand has officially been discontinued and is successfully acquired by T-Mobile as of August 3, 2020.
Can Sprint give you a new SIM card?
Yes, if you are upgrading your device and your old sprint SIM is not compatible with the new device, Sprint will provide you with a new one.
What the T-Mobile and Sprint Merger Means for You
Can Sprint Customers Switch To Tmobile
Data Doctors: How can I tell if my Sprint phone will work on the T-Mobile network?
Ken Colburn | [email protected]
July 11, 2020,
Here’s how T-Mobile will make you switch from Sprint: free 5G phones and plan discounts
By Daniel Petrov Aug 18, 2021.
How to switch carriers: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
By, SAMUEL CONTRERAS and OLIVIA LIPSKI 30 Dec 2021