Can The Council Help With White Goods?

Councils tend to offer support to low-income families in their district in a number of ways. The aim of this article is to discuss whether or not the council can support its residents with white goods. In addition to this, we will also discuss other options for deserving families such as loans and grants; either through the council authorities or charitable organisations.

Can The Council Help With White Goods?

Yes, the council can help with white goods. In fact, according to an article published in The Sun, Haringey Council has given up to £750 in cash to resident families on a low income or on benefits so that they can purchase white goods and furniture. To qualify for this scheme, the applicant must have a weekly income of £500 or less in the case of a family and £350 or less in the case of an individual.

Sometimes local councils may be able to help tenants with the provision of white goods especially if they are on low income or claiming benefits. Even if they cannot do so or the applicant does not qualify for low income or benefits, councils will be able to connect applicants to charities or organisations that can provide grants for household essentials such as white goods. 

You can also contact your local council office to find out if they offer Local Welfare Assistance schemes through which you can gain access to grants, interest-free loans or used items at low prices so as to meet your housing needs. 

For instance, Ealing Council has been granted additional funding from the government under its Household Support Fund to help qualifying residents with living costs. Funding under this scheme is open until September 2022 and the eligibility criteria have been expanded to offer funds to as many eligible applicants in the council. Even if someone does not qualify for a fund, the council authorities will give them support and advice; as well as connect them to local charities that provide financial support.

The UK Government has provided £421 million to County Councils and Unitary Authorities under the Household Support Fund so that they may extend financial assistance to vulnerable households in their area. This assistance can be in the form of vouchers, direct provision of food or goods, or grants from third parties. While the eligibility criteria are not very strict in its framework, councils have been asked to confirm if other forms of support are available to applicants such as Discretionary Housing Payments.

How Can I Buy White Goods If I Can’t Get Help From The Council?

If you are not eligible for financial support from your council (this can be due to being on a higher income than the minimum threshold) and yet you are unable to afford white goods, you can apply for loans or grants through independent organisations.

Residents who are on low-income and unable to afford living essentials such as furniture, and household equipment may be able to find help in the following ways:

  • Social landlord
  • Grant giving organisation
  • Second-hand furniture seller
  • Affordable credit

If you are renting from a social landlord, you can check if they provide furnished accommodation. Some (but not all) social housing landlords rent out furnished homes. In such cases, tenants will not have to bear the cost of household essentials including white goods.

Can I Get A Loan From The Council To Purchase White Goods?

Yes, you can get a loan from the council to purchase white goods. In some cases, the council may be able to offer you an interest-free loan to purchase household essentials. Although you will only be required to pay back what you have received, you must pay back the loan within 2 years. 

To be eligible for an interest-free loan you must be on benefits including the following:

  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit

How Can I Apply For A Grant To Buy White Goods?

You can ask your council office to connect you to charities or organisations that offer grants for your particular situation. Otherwise, you can also talk to them directly and file an application along with evidence of your claim and financial circumstances.

Some of the leading charities in the UK that help with household costs include the following:


The discussion in this article brings us to the conclusion that while councils do help with white goods, they may not be able to support every applicant. In such cases, they can connect you to charities and grants through which you can find financial support, pre-loved items or purchase items in easy instalments. 

FAQs: Can The Council Help With White Goods?

What help can I get with furniture?

If you are unable to afford furniture, you can find help through your council’s local welfare assistance scheme, social landlord or a grant-giving organisation. preloved furniture provider or affordable credit.

Can I claim for white goods on Universal Credit?

If you are on Universal Credit, you will be able to get a grant for white goods such as fridges and cookers. You can apply for grants if you need household items such as beds, bedding, curtains and kitchen items while on Universal Credit.

Who is entitled to a Community Care Grant?

Anyone above the age of 16, claiming benefits such as Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Pension Credit or Universal Credit can qualify for a Community Care Grant. If the applicant has savings of less than £700, they are more likely to qualify.

Who is eligible for the 25k grant?

Individuals with earnings of $125,000 per annum and couples with earnings of £ 200,000 are eligible for the 25k grant.

How can I get free appliances?

If you are on low income (60% less than the median income) you may be able to get free appliances through charities and non-profit organisations.


Thousands of families can get up to £750 towards white goods or furniture – how to apply

Where to get help – Turn2us

Finding Furniture & White Goods

Local welfare assistance | Local welfare assistance

Household Support Fund (1 April 2022 to 30 September 2022): final guidance for county councils and unitary authorities in England – GOV.UK