Can I Tax A Car That Is Not In My Name?

If you want to know whether or not you can tax a car that is not in your name, you will find guidance through the following article. While we will primarily discuss the roles and responsibilities regarding car tax payments, we will also assess the responsibility for car tax payments based on real-life situations.

Can I Tax A Car That Is Not In My Name?

No, you cannot tax a car that is not in your name. According to the rules set by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency DVLA, car tax can only be paid by individuals who are the registered keepers of a vehicle as they are the ones whose name appears on the vehicle logbook and are thus liable to pay car tax.

However, if a parent who has gifted a car to their child wishes to pay car tax for a vehicle being used and registered in their child’s name, they can make the payment on the child’s behalf. Despite that, the registered keeper of the vehicle will have to make the payment and present the logbook (as well as any other documents that may be needed) to pay the car tax. 

In such cases, the registered keeper and the owner of the vehicle can be two different people (which is usually not the norm); however, the child will remain liable for car tax payments.

If you are a new buyer and need to tax your car, you will need the following details to proceed with a payment:

New buyers will need the following information from you so that they can tax the car before driving it:

  • The 11-digit reference number mentioned in the vehicle logbook or V5C if the vehicle has been registered in the new owner’s name
  • The 12-digit reference number on the New Keeper Supplement or V5C/2 if the vehicle has not been registered in the new owner’s name yet

How Can You Tax A New Car?

You can tax a new car while purchasing from the car dealer. It is common practice for car dealers to arrange for a car to be paid for when they sell a vehicle and add the charges to the original price. You will have to pay the car dealer an additional amount of £55 to have a new car taxed through them and also provide them with the following information:

  • name of the vehicle owner
  • address of the vehicle owner
  • V5C/2 registration or New Keeper Supplement of the vehicle

Otherwise, you can also pay the car tax on a new car by filling out a V55/4 application for first vehicle tax and registration of a new motor vehicle and paying the £55 fee.

How Can You Tax A Used Car?

In the case of paying car tax for a second-hand car, the previous owner needs to add your name (and other details) to the “new keeper” section of the V5C and send it to the DVLA. The DVLA will give you a green slip that serves as proof of your ownership of the car until the car log book certifies it through the DVLA. 

You can use the 12-digit number that appears on your green slip (also termed as your V5C2 reference number) to pay your car tax while you are waiting for your car logbook to be renewed/transferred to your name.

If you need relevant information regarding your vehicle to pay your car tax, you can get vehicle information from DVLA about your car’s CO2 emissions, date of expiry for MOT, date of issuance of the last V5C, engine size, weight and fuel type among other things.

The DVLA will send you an email as soon as your vehicle has been registered in your name and a new vehicle logbook is posted to your address. It usually takes 2 to 4 weeks for a new V5C to be sent to new owners by the DVLA. if it takes more time than this, you can apply using a V62 form through your local post office.


The above discussion helps to conclude that you cannot tax a car that is not in your name. Car tax payments are the responsibility of the registered keeper of a vehicle; the person whose name appears on the vehicle logbook.


Vehicle tax disc abolished: changes you need to know – GOV.UK

How do I transfer ownership and tax for a used car I’ve bought? | AutoTrader