Can I Rent My Property To The Council?

If you want to know if you can rent your property to local council authorities, you will find guidance in the following blog post as we explain everything you need to know about renting your house to the local council authorities, including the process, benefits, and rental income.

Can I Rent My Property To The Council?

Yes, you can rent your property to your local council authorities. However, whether or not accepts your property for being rented out depends on the following factors:

  • condition of the property
  • location of the property
  • current demand for housing in the area
  • local rent rates
  • level of anticipated risk taken under the agreement

There are a few things to bear in mind when renting your property to the council. Firstly, the council sets the rent rates, so even though you may not get as much money as you would if you rented out the property to an individual tenant, you still get a regular income. 

Rents set by council authorities are usually 80% less than the market value since they are based on the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rates.

Secondly, it may take some time for the council to find a tenant so make sure you have a backup plan if it takes longer than expected. 

Lastly, make sure you’re clear about how long the council plans to rent the property for and when you can expect to receive the rent money. This can help you to plan ahead. The usual time that it takes in such cases is of 5 years.

What Are The Benefits of Renting Your Property to the Local Council? 

Renting your property to the local council can provide many benefits. Firstly, it gives you a regular income and doesn’t require much effort or input on your part. The council will manage the rental payments and look after the property so you don’t have to. 

Secondly, local authorities are generally very reliable tenants. This means you don’t have to worry about late payments or damages to the property. 

Lastly, it’s a great way to help people in your local community who may be struggling to find suitable accommodation or cannot afford to buy a property. 

How Can I Make My Property Suitable for Council Tenants?

Before the council can accept your property, it needs to be in line with the UK government’s minimum standards for social housing. 

You need to make sure the house is cleaned and in good condition. It must be safe, clean, and secure for the tenants to live in, free of dampness or other hazards. 

The council also have stringent fire safety regulations that you must adhere to so make sure all your fire extinguishers and smoke alarms are in working order. 

Renting your property to the local council can be a great way to earn extra income and help people in your local community. However, there are some things you should bear in mind such as legal obligations and the council setting the rent rates. Make sure you understand what you’re agreeing to before you sign any contracts. 

How Can I Rent My Property To The Council?

Renting your property to the council involves a few simple steps. Firstly, you should contact the local council and tell them you’re interested in renting your property. The council will then send out an inspector to check that the property is up to scratch and meets the minimum standards. 

During this time, you will need to provide documents that can provide:

  • evidence of ownership of the property and the owner’s identity
  • formal consent from a mortgage lender to enter a lease agreement
  • Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) and safety certificates of the property (this includes gas and the electrical condition report)
  • building insurance cover

Once that’s done, they’ll make you a formal offer and draw up a contract. This is the most important bit, so make sure you read through it thoroughly before signing and committing to anything. 

You can either contact your local council office directly to offer your property for being rented out through them or contact a renting specialist such as Central Housing Group.


Local councils in the United Kingdom are always on the lookout for new properties to rent. If you have a house that you’re not using, you may be able to rent it to your local council and earn some extra income. 


Let to the Council for Guaranteed Rent – Central Housing Group

Lease your property to the Council