Can I Get A Moving House Grant From The DWP?

The cost of moving your house can be a sudden, non-budgeted expense for which you may not have sufficient funds saved up. Through this blog post, we aim to learn whether or not the Department for Work and Pensions extend any grants for individuals faced with financial constraints and unable to bear the expense of moving their house. For a detailed view of the topic, we will explore other forms of support that the state extends toward individuals on low income who find it difficult to meet housing costs.

Can I Get A Moving House Grant From The DWP?

While the Department for Work and Pensions does not offer grants to cover the expenses of moving your house, they do lend finance on an interest-free basis. If you are a Universal Credit claimant who is planning to move your house, you can apply for a Budgeting Advance from the DWP. They will ask for proof of your anticipated moving costs and grant an interest-free loan accordingly. This loan can be repaid to them over a period of 2 years through reduced payments of your Universal Credit claim.

In case you receive any other state benefit, you can apply for a Budgeting Loan from the DWP in the same manner. Deductions for loan repayment will be made from your benefits claim.  

However, if you prefer a grant over a loan (since grants do not have to be paid back), you can consider the following options instead of the DWP:

  • your local council authority 
  • a charity
  • a hardship fund

The last two options in the above list might require some internet research and the grants may take time for processing, you may want to search the website of your local council website and look for welfare assistance programs that may not only guide you grant lenders but also to charitable organisations that can help you with additional costs of a new house such as furniture, carpets, household equipment and even your initial rent deposit.

Can The Council Help To Pay Moving Costs?

Yes, councils can help with moving costs. They have certain allowances available to them to extend financial aid in the form of grants or loans to those who are in need and qualify. 

At times, they may be able to arrange a Discretionary Housing Payment; which is a one time grant extended to cover the costs of housing. Local authorities will consider the following factors in this regard:

  • Conditions that make the applicant’s circumstances critical, exceptional or different.
  • Whether or not a one-time payment will provide real help for their situation.
  • Whether one-time assistance is required or it will be repeated due to financial constraints.
  • Possible long term solution for the applicant’s financial assistance.
  • The amount that they will receive.

How Can I Apply For Help With Moving My House?

Applicants who are in search of financial support either from the DWP or their local council authorities will need to apply for a grant, a budgeting loan or even a discretionary housing payment through the website of their local council authority.

They are also expected to be able to provide proof of moving costs with expense details. Along with it, they will also be required to submit an application stating the valid reason(s) for moving their house as well as evidence of the new property being more affordable than the previous one. 

Additionally, they should also be able to furnish the following documents:

  • a letter from the Landlord/Letting Agent who can confirm that the applicant will be offered the property
  • recent bank statements of the applicant 
  • recent Universal Credit Breakdown (if applicable)
  • a minimum of 2 quotes from moving companies 


This article has explained quite in detail that while the DWP may not be able to extend a grant to meet the costs of moving your house, they can offer an interest-free loan (on certain conditions). However, if you still prefer a grant to a loan, you may want to apply through your local council office, a hardship fund or a charity.

FAQs: Can I Get A Moving House Grant From The DWP?

Will I still get Universal Credit if I move house?

Chances are that you will still continue to receive Universal Credit if you move house but the amount that you receive may change due to an increase or decrease in your rent. To be able to continue receiving your Unvuiersal Credit payments on time, you should inform the DWP well in advance before you move house.

Who qualifies for a hardship payment?

An 18 years old individual (16 years in certain cases), who is unable to meet the expense of their basic needs or those of a child in their care qualifies for a hardship payment.

What grants can I get on PIP in the UK?

If you claim Personal Independence Payments (PIP), you can also claim the premium amount on Housing Benefit, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support and Working Tax Credit; as well as Employment and Support Allowance and Pension Credit if you receive the daily component of PIP. You can also apply for a council tax reduction if you claim PIP, as well as a vehicle tax discount.  

What grants are available on Universal Credit?

While there are no grants that can be guaranteed to Universal Credit claimants, you can claim a budgeting allowance to meet emergency home needs. The amount that you can expect to receive as an interest-free loan from the DWP in such a case would be £348 for a single individual, £464 for individuals who are part of a couple and £812 for those who have children.

What can I get free on Universal Credit?

If you are on Universal Credit, you can claim free prescriptions, dental treatment, eye tests, school transport and school meals. Additionally, you can also avail discounted childcare costs and £150 for school uniforms.


Help with the cost of moving

Emergency grants, loans and money help – Shelter England

How to Get Help with Moving Costs – RemovalReviews

Get help with renting costs

Apply for Discretionary and/or Exceptional Hardship Payments – Basildon