Can I Get A Grant For Moving Into A Council House?

Moving costs can add to the financial constraints of tenants on a low income even if they are claiming benefits. This is the reason why we will explore the possibility of getting a grant for moving into a council house; as well as consider any other financial support that tenants can expect to receive, whether through their council authority or local charities.

Can I Get A Grant For Moving Into A Council House?

Yes, depending on your financial status and personal circumstances; as well as the declaration of your income and savings you may be able to get a grant through charities and hardship funds to move into a council house. 

However, if you are looking for financial support from the government in this regard, the following factors will be reviewed by the authorities when you apply for a grant: 

  • whether you are claiming the housing element of Universal Credit or Housing Benefit
  • whether your income is below the moving expense despite being on benefits
  • whether you are moving from private property or one council house to another
  • whether you are moving from a bigger council house to a smaller one

In case you are already receiving Housing Benefit payments or the housing element of Universal Credit and are unable to bear the additional expense of moving your house, you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment through your local council office. This will not be a grant; however, it will serve as additional financial assistance in the form of an interest-free loan that can be repaid over a period of two years through reduced payments of the benefits that you claim.

However, if you are moving from one council house to another, especially in the case of moving from a larger one to a smaller one, you may receive a grant from your local council authority. 

For instance, if you are a council tenant or assured tenant with a housing association in Croydon who is living in a council house with extra bedrooms, you can expect a grant of £2,000 for every extra bedroom that you give up. This can lead to a grant of up to £8,000 for moving into a smaller council property. In addition to this, you can also expect financial support for furniture removal costs if you use the contractor recommended by the council.

Can DWP help with moving costs?

If you are a Universal Credit claimant who is planning to move your house, you can apply for a Budgeting Advance from the DWP. They will ask for proof of your anticipated moving costs and grant an interest-free loan accordingly. This loan can be repaid to them over a period of 2 years through reduced payments of your Universal Credit claim.

In case you receive any other state benefit, you can apply for a Budgeting Loan from the DWP in the same manner. Deductions for loan repayment will be made from your benefits claim.  

How Do I Apply For Help With Moving House?

Applicants who are in search of financial support either from the DWP or their local council authorities will need to apply for a grant, a budgeting loan or even a discretionary housing payment through the website of their local council authority.

They are also expected to be able to provide proof of moving costs with expense details. Along with it, they will also be required to submit an application stating the valid reason(s) for moving their house as well as evidence of the new property being more affordable than the previous one. 


The discussion in this article highlights many areas of financial support that one may be able to attain when moving house. While grants from the council may be limited to a specific situation in which council tenants choose to move from a larger council property to a relatively smaller one; however, tenants may avail the option of an interest-free loan through the Discretionary Housing Payment scheme if they are claiming Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit.

FAQs: Can I Get A Grant For Moving Into A Council House?

Can I get a grant to help me move house in the UK?

Benefits claimants who are struggling to pay for housing costs such as rent deposit or moving expenses can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment through their benefits office or local council. While this is an interest-free loan extended through government support, the local council authority can direct interested individuals to charities and hardship fund schemes that provide grants.

Can I move house with no money?

Yes, you can move house with no money. You can ask friends or family for a loan. Otherwise, you can apply for a grant or an interest-free loan through your council office, local charities or a hardship fund scheme.

Can you get a loan from the council?

Yes, if you are unable to pay for your basic living and housing expenses, you can get a loan from your council. The authorities can also guide you on how to claim benefits (if you are eligible for any).

Can the DWP help with moving costs?

Yes the DWP can help with moving costs including the costs of furniture and essential household items. However, their decision to extend a loan such as a Budgeting Loan will depend on your circumstances, assessment of your income and savings as well as the reasons for applying for a loan.

Can I move house on Universal Credit?

Yes, you can move your house while claiming Universal Credit. However, if the change in residence leads to a change in your rent, your Universal Credit payments may increase or decrease as a result. If your Universal Credit payment is not enough to pay for moving costs, you can apply to the DWP for a Discretionary Housing Payment for financial support.


Grants for moving to a smaller home | Croydon Council

Relocation Grant – West Lothian Council

Help with the cost of moving

Emergency grants, loans and money help – Shelter England