Can I Claim Disability Grants For Moving House?

In order to provide the best housing facilities for disabled family members, one can either adapt their own home to meet their needs or move into a house that provides them. Through this blog post, we aim to learn whether you can claim disability grants for moving your house in case your current place of residence does not meet your or a family member’s disability needs. In addition to this, we will also explore whether disability grants are extended to individuals who choose to stay in their house and adapt it to meet their needs; as well as briefly review the application process.

Can I Claim Disability Grants For Moving House?

Yes, you can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant if you or a family member are faced with a  disability and need to move your house due to this.

However, once you have filed an application for the grant, it will be processed on the basis of an assessment carried out by an occupational therapist. Should they conclude from a visit to your home that the property that you are currently living in fails to meet the disability needs of you or your family member, only then can you expect that your disability grants application will be processed any further.

The maximum amount that you can expect to receive through such a grant is £10,000 which will cover the following moving expenses:

  • removal costs
  • utility connection costs
  • rent deposit for a private property
  • estate agent’s fee
  • solicitor’s fees

Additionally, you are also expected to be able to provide proof of moving costs with expense details. Along with it, you will also be required to submit an application stating the valid reason(s) for moving your house as well as evidence of the new property being more affordable than making adaptations to the previous one. 

Once your grant is approved, you must stay in the new property for a minimum period of five years, otherwise, you will be required to pay back the Disabilities Grant to the authorities.

Can I Claim Disability Grants For Adaptations To My House?

Yes, you can claim a Disabled Facilities Grant if you need to make adaptations to your existing place of residence; whether it is you or a family member for whom the claim is to be made. In either case, a disability grant can be applied for any of the following individuals:

  • the owner/occupier of the property to which adaptations need to be made
  • the tenant (whether private, council or social housing)
  • the landlord who has rented out their property

In the case of a rented property, the application for adaptations can be made either by the tenant or the landlord. However, the tenant will need their landlord’s permission before filing an application.

How Can I Apply For A Disability Grant?

Applications for disability grants are handled by the Housing or Environment Department. Applicants can either apply on their own, through a social worker or an occupational therapist.

At the start of the process, you will be required to fill out a form available with your local council office. They may ask you for personal information as well as certain tests to be carried out before a formal application is made.

An occupational therapist will visit your home to assess the needs of the disabled person as well as the reasons why your current place of residence cannot be adapted to meet disability needs.

Once a formal application has been made on your behalf, it can take up to six months for the authorities to release funds from your grant.


The discussion in this article brings us to the conclusion that a disability grant or a Disabled Facilities Grant can be applied for if a resident needs to change their place of residence due to their disability or that of a family member. In such cases, one would need to fill out a form at the local council office and wait for an occupational therapist to visit their home for an assessment of the premises and the disability needs of the individual. It is on the basis of their recommendation that a disability grant will be approved or rejected.

FAQs: Can I Claim Disability Grants For Moving House?

What grants can I get on PIP?

If you claim Personal Independence Payments (PIP), you can also claim the premium amount on Housing Benefit, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support and Working Tax Credit; as well as Employment and Support Allowance and Pension Credit if you receive the daily component of PIP.

Does moving house affect PIP?

No, moving your house does not directly affect PIP; however, claimants are required to report a change of address to the authorities. 

How can a disabled person buy a house in the UK?

In order to buy a house in the UK, a disabled person would need to apply for affordable home ownership through their local Help to Buy agent. They will be guided towards the eligibility criteria and should an applicant meet the requirements.

Will I still get Universal Credit if I move house?

Chances are that you will still continue to receive Universal Credit if you move house but the amount that you receive may change due to an increase or decrease in your rent. To be able to continue receiving your Unvuiersal Credit payments on time, you should inform the DWP well in advance before you move house.

What grants are available on Universal Credit?

While there are no grants that can be guaranteed to Universal Credit claimants, you can claim a budgeting allowance to meet emergency home needs. The amount that you can expect to receive as an interest-free loan from the DWP in such a case would be £348 for a single individual, £464 for individuals who are part of a couple and £812 for those who have children.


Disabled Facilities Grant

Financial help if you’re disabled: Home and housing – GOV.UK

Help with home improvements – Citizens Advice

Disabled Relocation Grant | South Derbyshire District Council