Are There Loans For Single Mothers From The Government?

Single mothers receive support from the government in various forms. While the main aim of this blog post is to learn whether there are any loans available from the government to help single mothers; we will also explore other forms of support such as benefits that qualifying single mothers in various situations may receive from the UK government.

Are There Loans For Single Mothers From The Government?

Yes, there are loans for single mothers from the UK government called “budgeting loans”. However, to attain this interest-free loan that can help them pay for essential household items, single mothers must be claiming either of the following benefits:

  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Pension Credit

If a single mother is claiming Universal Credit, she will not be eligible for a budgeting loan and should rather apply for a budgeting advance. This is an interest-free loan that is repaid through reduced Universal Credit payments. 

Whether you are eligible for a budgeting loan or a budgeting advance, the minimum amount that you receive through this loan will be £100 while the maximum will be £348. Depending on the repayment option that you choose, you will have a maximum time limit of 104 weeks to pay back the loan through reduced benefits payments

If you are a single mother still waiting for approval on your benefits claim application, you can apply for a short term advance. However, the benefits that you have applied for must include the following:

  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • State Pension
  • Carer’s Allowance

If you have applied for Universal Credit you should ask for an advance within 5 days of making your claim.

It should be remembered that a short term advance is an interest-free loan; repayments for which will be deducted from your benefits claim.

In addition to government loans, single mothers can also apply for grants through charities, discount vouchers and claim state benefits in the UK.

Which Benefits Can A Single Mother Claim?

Depending on her circumstances and eligibility, a single mum can claim benefits from the below list: 

  • If you have sole responsibility for a child under the age of 16 years, you can claim Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit.
  • Depending on your income and savings, you can claim Housing Benefit if you live in rented accommodation.
  • Single parents who work equal to or less than 16 hours per week or are unable to work can claim Income Support or Jobseekers’ Allowance.
  • If you have a health condition or a disability due to which you cannot work, you can claim Employment and Support Allowance
  • You may qualify for income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance. If you receive these benefits for 26 weeks, you can apply for an interest-free loan for basic home expenses.
  • If you are a single parent who is working 16 hours or more per week, you can claim Working Tax Credit.
  • If you are a homeowner claiming Universal Credit, you can apply for Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) to help you with mortgage payments.
  • If you are the sole adult in your household, you can claim a 25 per cent discount on your council tax bills.

Can A Single Mother Get Benefits If She Is A Stay At Home Mum?

Yes, depending on their circumstances, single mothers who also qualify as stay at home mums can claim the following benefits in the UK:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • (income-based) Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • (income-related) Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit

If your youngest child is younger than 1 year of age, you will not be expected to look for work while you are on Universal Credit. 


The above discussion highlights the fact that to be able to get a government loan in the UK a single mother would also need to qualify for specific state benefits. She may claim this loan whether she is already receiving those benefits or has applied to the relevant authorities and is waiting for approval.

FAQs: Are There Loans For Single Mothers From The Government?

What help can single mothers get?

Single mothers can claim state benefits including Child Tax Credit, Housing Benefit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credit, Working Tax Credit and Universal Credit. Some of these benefits will also qualify them for interest-free loans from the government. 

How do single mothers survive financially?

Single mothers who are low on income and savings can claim benefits, apply for interest-free loans from the government and look for charitable organisations through their council offices for grants and vouchers.

How much of benefits do single mums get?

If their children live with them, single mums in the UK can receive £384.62 per week or £20,000 per year in the form of benefits.

How much do you get for Child Tax Credit?

If you are eligible to receive Child Tax Credits, you can get up to £3,480 per year for your first child and up to £2,935 per year from your second child onwards. You will continue to receive this amount until the qualifying child turns 16 years old. Child Tax Credit payments may be extended until the child is 20 years old if they are in approved education or training.

How much do single mums get on Universal Credit?

If you are a single mother who is under 25 years of age, you can expect to receive a monthly standard allowance of £265.31 from your Universal Credit claim. However, if you are a single mother, who is above 25 years of age, your monthly standard allowance for Universal Credit will increase to £334.91.


If you’re struggling with living costs – Citizens Advice

How to get help with urgent or one-off expenses

Universal Credit: further information for families – GOV.UK

Can I be a stay at home mum and claim Universal Credit?

Stay at Home Parents: Benefits You May Be Entitled to | Mr Lender